Menu

What happened to Playpens?

I come from a big family. All of my childhood memories involve one or more of my baby cousins happily playing in the playpen. Where did they go? Are they dangerous or just not PC anymore?? I'd love to be able to contain my toddler for a few minutes every now and then!

The PC term for them is "play yards" now:001_smile:. I put 300 ball pit balls in Keaton's to keep him happy and safe while I cooked or showered, but he can climb out of it (and his crib) now:glare:. It was great (while it lasted) as an emergency safe zone if something was broken or spilled.

Based on what I've been studying from my psychology textbook, they are too restrictive for optimal development. But I would bet my britches that the gal who wrote this book never had three kids under age three under her roof!

My pack-n-plays were my sanity-keepers! But of course they must be used judiciously. I put my twins in for about 30-40 minutes in the morning (separate pens) with a few choice toys each, and then for another 30 minutes in the evening when I made dinner. Not always both sessions every day. They *loved* their special toys and playpen time! So did my toddler, who could have some time free of being overrun by crawling babyzillas.

They were also very valuable to me as portable beds for travelling and naptimes within play dates.

I have observed people use them for long, long stretches at a time, and also putting so many toys in with the child that there's no room to move. Too bad that's the stereotype. As long as babies also get lots of safe roaming time, I think playpens can be a very valuable tool.

I come from a big family. All of my childhood memories involve one or more of my baby cousins happily playing in the playpen. Where did they go? Are they dangerous or just not PC anymore?? I'd love to be able to contain my toddler for a few minutes every now and then!

We call them pack and play and use them quite a lot still.

My pack-n-plays were my sanity-keepers! But of course they must be used judiciously. I put my twins in for about 30-40 minutes in the morning (separate pens) with a few choice toys each, and then for another 30 minutes in the evening when I made dinner. Not always both sessions every day. They *loved* their special toys and playpen time! So did my toddler, who could have some time free of being overrun by crawling babyzillas.

This practice is also supposed to teach the child to focus and be a good learning experience -- in small daily doses. We tried with our first child but I'm not sure we were consistent again. We get another chance now!

Edited by vonfirmath

I think they were recalled for pinching fingers or something. I used the Todays Kids brand and loved then (still have two sets of them)

http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?_nkw=TODAYS+TODAYS+KIDS+LITTLE+TIKES+PLAY+YARD+ACTIVITY+CTR

You can two sets and make a larger yard.

I had one for the back yard and one for the front yard. You can use them to make a long row (to cover a doorway). I still use mine to keep the children in the driveway!

Lara

A pack-n-play is simply a portable play pen. Once they came out, nobody wanted the older ones (plus there were probably safety issues with the older ones).

At least when my kids were little, pack-n-plays came in various sizes. One I had was a bigger square. Seems like the ones I've seen in stores recently have gotten smaller, now that you mention it.

Based on what I've been studying from my psychology textbook, they are too restrictive for optimal development. But I would bet my britches that the gal who wrote this book never had three kids under age three under her roof!

Sure, if you leave the child in the playpen all day it would be restrictive for optimal development. But it's a life saver for mom's when you need to jump in the shower, go potty, or make dinner and need to know the baby is safe while you are out of room or have your hands covered in raw meat and eggs!

Sure, if you leave the child in the playpen all day it would be restrictive for optimal development. But it's a life saver for mom's when you need to jump in the shower, go potty, or make dinner and need to know the baby is safe while you are out of room or have your hands covered in raw meat and eggs!

I totally agree with you, Dawn! It's interesting to me to see how some of the theories in my book fail to take into account the fact that the caregiver may actually have more than one child to focus on, or maybe has to cook dinner, or go to the bathroom sometimes...!!!

I found it easier to babyproof the room rather than try to keep a baby in a playpen - until I had twins. :) Now I have some baby fence that we made into a little yard for the girls in our family room. It's about 16 square feet inside it and give them plenty of room to move about and play. Still, I don't keep them in it all the time or anything. But it's super helpful when we are doing school or if I just need to know they can't get into anything for 15 minutes.

We used the pack and play as a mini playpen. I kept it set up all of the time. It was a good place to set the baby/toddler when I had to go to the bathroom or needed to cook dinner or help the other toddler, etc. It was smaller than a traditional play pen I think, but did the job.

This is what I did too - ours was from 1998, when they were all the larger size (but still smaller than the playpens of the 70s).

The older ones had safety issues - if the sides were wooden, heads could get trapped between the slats (same issue with cribs), if they were large mesh, fingers could get twined in the mesh, fine mesh or cloth - some parents would leave one side down so the child could crawl in after toys, some children got trapped under the folds of the side and suffocated. Heavier children could tip them over and bright children learned to stack toys and climb out.

They were at least twice the size of modern pack and plays and were heavy and cumbersome to set up. The easy portability of pack and plays made them much more popular.

What, we are supposed to go to the bathroom? :lol::lol::lol:

Exersaucer and pack and play were used here as child containment devices when I needed to get something done.

Exersaucer and pack and play were used here as child containment devices when I needed to get something done.

My MIL babysat my niece during niece's first year while SIL taught at school (she stays home now). MIL would bring dn everywhere in the house, even the bathroom. I was there once for a few minutes, and MIL had to go to the bathroom. She wouldn't let me hold dn--she took her with her. :glare: I live about 25 min away from dn and have held her maybe twice. She gets taken away from me if she makes the slightest peep, which she does when anyone besides her mom, dad or grandma holds her. Wonder why?:001_huh:

Anyway, I wish MIL had used a pack & play occasionally. ;-)

My oldest child was born in 1989 and I had a more traditional playpen when he was little. It was much bigger than pack n plays and had a hard floor. He could walk and play in it. I left it set up in my living room and used it to contain him when I needed to use the bathroom or make dinner. It had tiny mesh like the current pack n plays and vinyl rails around the top and bottom. I think the only risk was if someone left one side down (they folded in half) when a child was in it and then it was an entrapment risk.

My MIL babysat my niece during niece's first year while SIL taught at school (she stays home now). MIL would bring dn everywhere in the house, even the bathroom. I was there once for a few minutes, and MIL had to go to the bathroom. She wouldn't let me hold dn--she took her with her. :glare: I live about 25 min away from dn and have held her maybe twice. She gets taken away from me if she makes the slightest peep, which she does when anyone besides her mom, dad or grandma holds her. Wonder why?:001_huh:

Anyway, I wish MIL had used a pack & play occasionally. ;-)

That is a bit excessive.

When mine were little, I took every opportunity I had to go to the bathroom in private, especially when my husband was deployed. Even if I just had to go a tiny bit, I would make sure to use the bathroom before picking up my children from church nursery, just for the freedom to use the bathroom in peace and quiet.

:lol::lol::lol: Exersaucer here too, or the high chair while I cook--or I ask the girls to play with him & go quickly before they can get too enthusiastic :lol:

I used a Pack n Play for both kiddos. Longer for DD #2 :). I kept special toys in it and used it for school time in the AM (like 45 min) and then again while I was making dinner. LOVED IT! Both DD's loved it. When I transitioned DD #2 out of it we then just had her have "room time" where I put the gate up on her door. She thought it was great because of all the toys, etc. and did not fuss over the gate. I think I did that until she was well over 3 :D!!!! With some kids containment is crucial.;)

I have a beautiful pack n play (which I call a playpen) covered in dust in my laudry room. NONE of my 3 children would stay in it. They all screamed bloody murder if I even tried it. So I used the exersaucer but that only lasted until they were walking. So now my house is a labyrinth of baby gates, It's the only thing I can do to keep baby girl sequestered when I need to.

I think you are right!

I actually have a 5, 3 and new 1 year old and we have one of those really large One Step play yards which is like a bunch of baby gates stuck together. My first child never sat in a play pen ever, my second child only very, very rarely and now my third is in there more than I would like to admit. Sometimes it is for her own safety because my 3 year old is such a wild boy that if I am even slightly distracted working with his big sister or trying to cook or get a shower I'm afraid he will just run right over the baby without meaning to hurt her.

I used to make very snide and judgmental comments about all sorts of parenting choices - even when I was a parent! Having one child is a much different scenario than two or three especially if they are spaced closely. I've had to eat humble pie on many occasions in the last year.

• 1 year later...
Guest rebelsjgt

I am a grandma and my daughter has a pack and play that is so much smaller than a playpen. I don't understand why they don't make playpens anymore. They were big enough for the kids to play and be happy but you could still fold them up. It is not like they were in them all day but they had room so they were happy to play in there while you made dinner or did a load of laundry or whatever. I worked full time and that was the only way I could get things done feeling my kids were safe if I had to take my eyes off them for a bit. Safety was always my priority and I thought that was better than letting little ones wonder around when you are not able to give full attention to them. A couple seconds and that kid can get hurt. Those pack and plays are way too small. What do you think? Bring back the playpens!

I used mine, which had a bassinet attachment for the top for babies under 15 lbs, so that my baby could nap in the living room or something. Didn't use for baby containment. I think I was scared an olr sibling would jump in? Not sure.

I found it weird when a relative asked to hold the baby, and I went out of the room for 5 minutes. When I returned, said baby had been put in the playpen, and the relative was just standing there watching.

I bought a "Superyard" (with an extra extension) for my girls. It is like a gate that goes all the way around the play space you choose, but it doesn't have its own floor. My kids got a lot of mileage out of theirs. I put all the best toys in there so they had to go in there to play with them. They probably spent an hour a day in there on average between ages 1-2. I bought a smaller one for my parents' house, mainly to give them a space where the dog couldn't get in their face.

I think one reason why some folks don't "need" a playpen is that houses can be more "babyproofed" nowadays. For example, my kids' bedroom was safe enough for them to play in there with the door shut.

I remember playpens from when I was younger, but they weren't really any bigger than a pack n play. I can say I do remember getting my fingers pinched a few times when trying to set up or fold the one my grandma used for my cousins (it looked similar to the one someone posted an ebay link for)

Maybe those that are saying they were larger are referring to what we called a play yard and was like a bunch of baby gates that formed a big octagon or something in the room.

Well that explains it then.

I wondered why all of us who grew up hanging out in playpens & zipping 'round in walkers didn't develop quite right.

:drool:

:lol:

My niece was a maniac in her walker, she zipped around so fast in that thing. Her sister LOVED the Johnny Jump Up, bounce, bounce, bounce. :D

When we were young, my mother had this amazing expandable wooden cage she would put us inside. Has anyone else ever seen one of those? I didn't have a floor or anything on top. It was just a latticed wooden fence basically, that expanded.

I've somehow survived four babies without ever owning a pack and play. The juries still out on my sanity, though.;)

No, you're right the old fashioned play pens were larger. I had one with older DD. I never used it much other then to get a shower, or if I had to be out of eyesight for some other reason when Dh wasn't home. I dont know if they were recalled or just fell out of fashion as pack and plays were much more portable.

ETA: DD's first Christmas we put the tree up in the playpen

We had a pack and play with the younger two and we used it sparingly like the playpen. It aslo kept baby safe when older siblings, cousins, and friends were running around like little monkeys.

Edited by akmommy

Well that explains it then.

I wondered why all of us who grew up hanging out in playpens & zipping 'round in walkers didn't develop quite right.

:drool:

I was one of those kids that actually fell down the stairs in my walker. I should use that as an excuse more often! "Oops, sorry I stuck my foot in my mouth again--I was a walker kid." "Oh, sorry I couldn't do my taxes--I was a walker kid." :tongue_smilie: