Menu

I found a lump....

Lump detected during my routine mammogram. They did a repeat mammogram and an ultrasound. Turned out to be a fibrous cyst and they did a biopsy. Turned out to be nothing and last mammogram was clear.

(We have a family history so I have mammograms annually.)

The biopsy was not painful at all btw.

:grouphug:

Lumpy breasts can be related to caffeine intake- maybe cut out coffee, if you drink it.

but most lumps are non serious.

:iagree:

Will pray for you. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Here's some info for anyone who may be interested.

Just because you have a lump in your breast doesn’t mean you have cancer.

Pseudo Lump is breast tissue approaching 1 inch in diameter that has formed into a lump, such as a pocket of dead fat or scar tissue that resulted from trauma caused by surgery or injury.

Lumpiness – little bumps that are approximately one-eighth inch in diameter. Harmless and perfectly natural – and has not been linked to later development of breast cancer

Cyst – These lumps are fluid-filled sacs that are most common in women between 30 and 55

They feel squishy near the surface

Those that are more deeply embedded in breast tissue feel harder

Fibroid or Fibroadenoma is a lump ranging from half an inch to 2 ½ inches or larger.

A rare cancer occurs in about 1% of all these lumps (usually the larger ones).

This type of cancer is relatively harmless because it doesn’t spread. You’ve got plenty of time to look at all your options.

Cancer Lump – By the time a cancerous lump is large enough for you to feel, it’s usually grown about half an inch in diameter.

If a cancerous lump is much smaller, you won’t feel it. In the early stages, a lump of cancerous cells feels like normal tissue. It will not change with menstrual cycles and is rarely painful.

Unless the type of cancer you have is extremely aggressive, you still have time to get information and examine your options.

I found a lump when I was about 21 years old. The doctor did a short outpatient surgery with local anesthesia to get it out. Turns out, it was a benign nodule. But the doctor wanted it out because he said it could grow larger during pregnancy or later in life.

just in from the Doctor.

She said it seems like a cyst, but is ordering a mammogram and an ultrasound to be sure; if that's all it is, then it will be drained in the office.

So it is pretty good news.

Thanks for all your responses.

Glad to hear it. :) Keeping you in my thoughts. :grouphug:

just in from the Doctor.

She said it seems like a cyst, but is ordering a mammogram and an ultrasound to be sure; if that's all it is, then it will be drained in the office.

So it is pretty good news.

Thanks for all your responses.

this is good news! Please keep us posted!

:grouphug:

• 4 weeks later...

Had a mammogram and ultrasound today.

It went well.

Technician said that is was nothing to worry about. Not really even a cyst...more of a fatty deposit protruding through the layers of whatever is in there.

Anyway. Relieved, I am.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers.

It went well.

Technician said that is was nothing to worry about. Not really even a cyst...more of a fatty deposit protruding through the layers of whatever is in there.

Anyway. Relieved, I am.

Breathing a sigh of relief with you. I'm glad to hear the good news!

It went well.

Anyway. Relieved, I am.

That is great news!

I went through this a few years ago. I went through the following over the span of several weeks.

1. doctor for manual exam

2. mammogram

3. ultrasound

4. needle biopsy

5. outpatient surgery to remove lump

At no point did they think it was cancerous, but they did have a "just in case" attitude. The lump was indeed benign. I never experienced any pain at any point of this. Even the recovery from surgery was very easy. I took one vicodin because I thought I should, but no more than that.

{{hugs}} to you. I know this is nerve-wracking.

Edited to add: I didn't read all the way through the thread. I'm glad everything turned out well!