Menu

A Child's Geography Vol. 2 by Voskamp.....what age is best?

jewel7123

I'm about to start Ancients this coming school year with my 1st grader. Would "A Child's Geography Vol. 2" by Ann Voskamp be appropriate for this age? (I will also have a tag-along PreK 4 year old.) If I wait until my oldest is in 5th grade during our second history cycle, will she be too old for it by then? I'm trying to figure out if I should use this now or wait 4 years. Thanks for your help!

Thank you.

Another question, I've read some say that A Child's Geography Vol. 1 is really more like a science curriculum (earth science)....is this true of Vol. 2 as well?

Another question, has anyone done Vol. 1 with a 6th grader, or should I do that volume for 2nd grade (when we'll be studying earth and space for the 1st time)?

Hi! My 3rd grader and 2nd grader are working through A Child's Geography (Vol 1) right now. It's an awesome book. Really, really great book. It is very advanced, tho. I think older elementary - middle school is probably a good age. My kids are able to understand the material from the text, tho and they seem to like it.

As far as vol 1 being like a science curriculum - yeah, it covers like the layers of the atmosphere, plate tectonics, stuff like that. It is geography, but more like earth science/geography.

I'm also interested in what Vol 2 looks like. :bigear:

We used volume 1 in second grade as part of earth science. It worked well and ds retained a lot. We did not do many of the postcards or the extra activities with the missionary work. I wanted to, but, it just didn't get done.

I have volume 2 on the shelf and planned to get into it this third grade year, but haven't yet. I think I might wait a year until I can have two children getting a lot out of it. First grade would have been a little too young for us, for both volumes.

Thank you ladies. If I wait until our next history/science cycle my children would be 5th, 3rd and 1st for A Child's Geography Vol. 2 (to go with Ancients time period) and if I did A Child's Geography Vol. 1 the following year as Earth Science my children would be 6th, 4th and 2nd. Since my oldest will be in 5th/6th, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be too babyish for her by that time. These books state for 1st-6th, but some times with curriculum that span a wide age range, it's really too basic for the kids on the high end of the suggested age range (5th and 6th grade). I'd love to hear more thoughts from anyone who used either one of these books in 5th or 6th grade.

Just bumping up. I read some old threads and it seems there's mixed reviews about what age to use these books. Some said the tone is very juvenile and they would use them for 1st-3rd graders, while others said they used it for 6th grade (with several younger siblings). Anyone else care to weigh in? I know these two books are used in HOD's CTC and RTR........so anyone who has used these programs, your opinion would be much appreciated.

Just have a second-the tone is a tiny bit juvenile but you can get past that easily. The content is definitely fine for 6th grade for vol 2-I even learned a lot!

(Can't comment on vol 1-haven't used). I did look at vol 1 and we don't plan to use it-I thought it looked dry-I don't think my dc would like it much, but many dc do! (I feel the same about Apologia-it's mainly because my dc don't like to spend so much time on one topic)