Menu

Magnetic attribute blocks for CSMP

Poke Salad Annie

I thought I'd mention that I made a better set of these this weekend. I found some very nice packages of adhesive-backed magnetic 8 X 11" sheets at Dollar Tree. I simply cut out the shapes from scrapbook paper in blue, yellow, green and red, then peeled back the adhesive on the sheets and placed the shapes and cut them out. These are so cheap to make this way if you can find the magnetic sheets at Dollar Tree. I plan on making several more sets with numbers too.

Editing to add that I used two sheets (pkgs) for a nice set of shapes for our Venn diagram work--- for $2 and some scrapbook paper---cheap!

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

I have to admit that I am ashamed and embarrassed that I have put off working with CSMP until I managed to make this A-block set. :blush: I had a plan to glue some of those magnetic strips to the back of the shapes after laminating them. This is so much better! The shapes are easy to pick up off the magnetic board since they are not stiff, and since the magnetic sheet covers the whole shape, we can literally sling them at the board and they stick! :lol: We've worked with lots of parameters for the Venn diagrams today, and we both had fun with these A-blocks.

Hi Annie,

What have you done with the magnetic board itself? Have you just drawn the place-value squares, or have you glued coloured paper for each square?

Would you please post a photo of the whole setup?

MTiA

Hi Annie,

What have you done with the magnetic board itself? Have you just drawn the place-value squares, or have you glued coloured paper for each square?

Would you please post a photo of the whole setup?

MTiA

:confused: I'm confused. Do you mean the mini-computers? I made those using scrapbook paper and poster board (for the backing and durability). In a post here I described how I made my mini-computers to use with this program. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will. I'm not so computer savvy about that, sorry.

If you mean the mini-computers, I just printed them out on cardstock and laminated them. I didn't attach magnets, because we just do everything on the table in front of us.

For the A-blocks, I also printed them out and laminated them. I attached adhesive magnets to the back, and that has worked out well.

Oops! I did get confused between the A-blocks and the minicomputer :-P It's been some days since I looked at CSMP and I have looked at several other New Math elementary programs in the meantime....

I understand how you made the minicomputer now.

Why do the A-blocks need to be magentized? I remember Papy's video of the String Game using A-blocks and that was on the floor. Are they also used for any other activity on the magentic board?

Thanks both of you for the info :-)

You don't have to magnetize them. You could just play the string game on the floor. However, I have found doing it on a whiteboard to be more pleasant. When you are doing it as part of a lesson, you need to be able to label the strings, for example. It is certainly not impossible to do that on the floor, but easier on a whiteboard.

You don't have to magnetize them. You could just play the string game on the floor. However, I have found doing it on a whiteboard to be more pleasant. When you are doing it as part of a lesson, you need to be able to label the strings, for example. It is certainly not impossible to do that on the floor, but easier on a whiteboard.

:iagree:

We found that the lesson moved along quickly for the string games since the blocks were magnetized. (I was very lucky to find a magnetic white dry-erase board at a discount/closeout-type store for only $1.50 --it was marked 90% off $14.99). My board measures 34" X 22", so it's not the very large one found at Walmart or Sam's Club.