Menu

If you use/used Lively Latin ~ What are is strengths/weaknesses?

m4given

We just recently started using it and I cannot say enough good stuff about it. Indy LOVES it. I have no real idea why, but he thinks it's "awesome." I have been learning right along with him. He really likes the video and audio lessons (which you will have access to even if you do the download), probably because it's someone other than me teaching him. The worksheets are pretty short and easy for him to understand and he really enjoys doing his vocab and chants (the endings of words) daily. He's found it interesting to find the root Latin words in English (one day he's going to rock that on the SAT's :D ). I like that it's really easy for him (and me) to understand and that I don't need ANY background in Latin for him to learn.

The only weakness I see (so far) is that they don't explain a lot about the endings, but each lesson tells you not to worry about knowing how to use them for now, that it will be explained later, you just need to learn them. Oh, and in the vocab audio lessons, she just says the words in Latin and whether they are masculine or feminine, but not their meaning in English. I think it's important that he associate the English word with the Latin at the same time. We've found a way around this though and just pause the audio after each Latin word and then he says what it means in English and click play again for the next word. Other than that, it's fabulous, IMO.

I'm looking seriously into using Lively Latin for a 10 yo with no background in Latin.

If you are currently using this program or have used it in the past:

What do (did) you like or dislike about Lively Latin? And why?

Now that they have corrected the errors, or are correcting them, there isn't much down side.

I start it in 5th grade, and I just have my kids do one page a day. This is with no previous Latin.

Because the next level moves so much faster I chose to go to First Form Latin after that (scripted lessons, so I don't have to know it to teach it). But Lively Latin gave me the background I needed to understand enough, and my kids loved it. Despite the move to First Form I still plan to start all my kids with Lively Latin.

Heather

We will be finishing book 1 at the end of next week. We took it slowly and it has taken a year and a half to finish.

I like that it is easy to break it into bite sized pieces for young children. The worksheet format works well and the worksheets are not too cluttered.

Some things I don't like:

A lot of typos

The history piece--fortunately it was easy to remove

Not enough translation work

But in all, LL has been a good experience.

I really like it. DD finds it a bit dry after doing Minimus, but I like that she is getting a strong foundation in Latin grammar. She does a page or two each day, it takes almost no time, and her retention is excellent thanks to all of the built in review. It can be a bit of grammar overkill for a child who already has a strong background in English grammar, but it's easy enough to skip things that are review. We don't do the history sections, but I actually think they are a nice perk of the program.

We just started using it last week. I don't like how colorful most of the pages are, honestly, as color ink is expensive on my printer. I also would have liked the option to just buy the books, not the disc/downloads, too, as it maybe would have saved some money? But otherwise we love it!

The printer I print it out in only prints black and white and it looks fine. See if you can set your printer to just print black and white. :D

Heather

We just recently started using it and I cannot say enough good stuff about it. Indy LOVES it. I have no real idea why, but he thinks it's "awesome." I have been learning right along with him. He really likes the video and audio lessons (which you will have access to even if you do the download), probably because it's someone other than me teaching him. The worksheets are pretty short and easy for him to understand and he really enjoys doing his vocab and chants (the endings of words) daily. He's found it interesting to find the root Latin words in English (one day he's going to rock that on the SAT's :D ). I like that it's really easy for him (and me) to understand and that I don't need ANY background in Latin for him to learn.

The only weakness I see (so far) is that they don't explain a lot about the endings, but each lesson tells you not to worry about knowing how to use them for now, that it will be explained later, you just need to learn them. Oh, and in the vocab audio lessons, she just says the words in Latin and whether they are masculine or feminine, but not their meaning in English. I think it's important that he associate the English word with the Latin at the same time. We've found a way around this though and just pause the audio after each Latin word and then he says what it means in English and click play again for the next word. Other than that, it's fabulous, IMO.

I'm looking forward to learning Latin as well!!! Thank you for your helpful review. It means a lot to me that people like you take time to give your input. I'm saving this thread so I can continue to think through "to buy or not to buy".

Now that they have corrected the errors, or are correcting them, there isn't much down side.

I start it in 5th grade, and I just have my kids do one page a day. This is with no previous Latin.

Because the next level moves so much faster I chose to go to First Form Latin after that (scripted lessons, so I don't have to know it to teach it). But Lively Latin gave me the background I needed to understand enough, and my kids loved it. Despite the move to First Form I still plan to start all my kids with Lively Latin.

Heather

I too hope that the errors are cleared up now.

Maybe there are ways to compensate for the fast pace in the 2nd level, but it's encouraging to know that a 5th grader with no experience can start well with the 1st level.

We just started using it last week. I don't like how colorful most of the pages are, honestly, as color ink is expensive on my printer. I also would have liked the option to just buy the books, not the disc/downloads, too, as it maybe would have saved some money? But otherwise we love it!

I agree, that would be nice to have such an option.

We will be finishing book 1 at the end of next week. We took it slowly and it has taken a year and a half to finish.

I like that it is easy to break it into bite sized pieces for young children. The worksheet format works well and the worksheets are not too cluttered.

Some things I don't like:

A lot of typos

The history piece--fortunately it was easy to remove

Not enough translation work

But in all, LL has been a good experience.

I too would like everything together as much as possible.

As far as the weaknesses go: Hopefully the typos have been cleared up? I'm not sure the best way to go about making up for the lack of translation work.

I really like it. DD finds it a bit dry after doing Minimus, but I like that she is getting a strong foundation in Latin grammar. She does a page or two each day, it takes almost no time, and her retention is excellent thanks to all of the built in review. It can be a bit of grammar overkill for a child who already has a strong background in English grammar, but it's easy enough to skip things that are review. We don't do the history sections, but I actually think they are a nice perk of the program.

How was Minimus more exciting for your dd? I know there are often curriculi that like that my dd is not so fond of. :) It sounds like the grammar review & history section can be gone over briefly or skipped if need be. On the other hand, those are 2 reasons I'm drawn to Lively Latin.

Thanks to you all!

We love LL here. I love that the Magistra teaches so that I don't have to! My son enjoys the video lessons and does not mind doing the vocabulary and chants. He is retaining what he's learning, so that is wonderful. ;) We do not use the history component, but it does not detract from the Latin in any way, so that is a plus. All in all, very pleased! It has been a wonderful introduction to Latin for my son AND for me!

We started last January doing about 2 pages a day, including history, continuing lightly through the summer, and finished up BB1 a few weeks ago. So it took us about a year of steady progression. We're now doing some review with the video lessons & exercises.

Pros: *Colorful, interesting pages with a lot of variety.

*The audio component is really well done. We remedied the issue of Catherine not saying the English part of the vocab by dd saying it immediately after herself. We haven't found a need to pause the CD for her to do that.

*Macrons are taught from the beginning.

*When learning nouns, the nominative, genitive and gender are taught from the beginning. When learning verbs, you learn all four principal parts. (From what I understand some programs don't do that.)

*Dd loves the history pages. My dd really needs a lot of review and the history pages give her more time in each chapter to review the vocabulary flashcards and chants daily.

*Less vocabulary than other programs. Dd is not good at memorizing lists and lists of words so this works well for her.

*I thought the amount of grammar and translation work was just right. BB2 has you moving into page-long translations so there is no lack of translation as you move along.

*Vocabulary games & exercises online for every chapter.

*Magistra is very quick to respond to emails.

*Easy for mom to learn alongside the kiddos by just printing out your own exercise pages.

*Having it online has been helpful because now that we're reviewing, I can just reprint out the pages I want dd to go over again.

Some of the cons that have been/are being fixed:*Errors & typos.

*Video (Up through Chapter 9 has been posted so far.)

*Assessment (She has added tests for every fourth chapter.)

I've decided to move into BB2 although I'm quite wary because of the step up in difficulty I've heard about. Dd just turned 9 and I hope it will not be too big of a leap for her. My biggest con would be that, I guess.

I also wonder if the lack of structure equals a lack of systematic progression of skills??? (By lack of structure I mean not doing the same thing every week like LFC or LC does.) I have no idea if that is completely unfounded logic, but for my sequential brain, the lack of structure drives me a little batty--of course, my dd doesn't mind it at all! ;)

Another con that I see is not with the program but with the way I utilized it--there was a span of about 3 chapters where I let dd go on her own reading the pages and completing the exercises w/o any input from me besides grading papers afterwards. Her understand went way down and she doesn't know the vocab from those sections as well either. That's part of the reason that we're going back and reviewing. Anyway, that says more about my dd and me than it does about the program, but just thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.

As far as the weaknesses go: Hopefully the typos have been cleared up? I'm not sure the best way to go about making up for the lack of translation work.

All I have to go on from personal experience is the vocab cards. There used to be multiple cases of duplicates, misprints and missing cards, when I printed them out and made them for my oldest. With my 2nd dd I downloaded the new files, and I only had one problem. They had accidentally done one word twice and not included another. It was obvious and easy to fix.

Assuming the TM and Student book has been cleaned up like the vocab cards have been, then it really shouldn't be an issue. She has stated that 90% of the errors have been correct, and based on what I saw in the vocab cards, that is accurate.

Heather

I looked at Visual Latin and it looks like the first 9-10 lessons would be review and then we would be moving into new stuff. So VL is hugely-condensed in the scope and sequence compared to LL, and moves MUCH quicker. I thought about getting the first 10 lessons of VL as review/different POV from LL. And I'm hoping to use Lingua Latina in the future so I like that he uses Lingua latina as a basis for his classes.

Lively Latin is meant for 3rd grade and up and I think that's an appropriate level to start it.

When you print, go to properties and click the "colors" tab and then click on grayscale. This will print everything in b&w.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but am thinking for next year. If I wanted everything is this what I'd order:

"Hard Copy + CD $125

The BigBook of LivelyLatin, Volume 1, Hardcopy

• Includes everything in both versions above, plus...
  • 400 pages, printed on high quality paper, shrink-wrapped, 5 dividers, in 3-ring binder;
  • 2 CD BigBook set, containing the PDF pages and Classical and Ecclesiastical pronunciation files;
  • Online access to vocab games and the Study with the Magistra Classroom
  • $125.00 + $12.00 shipping and handling; 3-5 days delivery "

This doesn't include any dvds, correct?

Thank you!

No, the package doesn't come with videos. They are in the online classroom, along with the games, tests, etc.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but am thinking for next year. If I wanted everything is this what I'd order:

"Hard Copy + CD $125

The BigBook of LivelyLatin, Volume 1, Hardcopy

• Includes everything in both versions above, plus...
  • 400 pages, printed on high quality paper, shrink-wrapped, 5 dividers, in 3-ring binder;
  • 2 CD BigBook set, containing the PDF pages and Classical and Ecclesiastical pronunciation files;
  • Online access to vocab games and the Study with the Magistra Classroom
  • $125.00 + $12.00 shipping and handling; 3-5 days delivery "

This doesn't include any dvds, correct?

Thank you!

How was Minimus more exciting for your dd? I know there are often curriculi that like that my dd is not so fond of. :) It sounds like the grammar review & history section can be gone over briefly or skipped if need be. On the other hand, those are 2 reasons I'm drawn to Lively Latin.

Thanks to you all!

This wasn't addressed to me, but I'll answer. Minimus is set up like a comic book and has a cute little mouse (Minimus) who guides you through the story. We found it very difficult to use though with no background in Latin. There was little or no grammar in the lessons we did and no information on how to use the different tenses. Once we have a background in Latin, we may go back to it though, because it's really fun.

The grammar and history sections can easily be skipped. Indy has a good foundation in grammar, so that was all unnecessary (I just didn't print it out) and we're studying the middle ages, so the Roman history wasn't needed either. Once we cycle back to ancients though, I may use some of it as a supplement, because it's great info and quite detailed.

We're only a few lessons in, but so far I haven't seen any typos. We may come across them later, but as of yet, there haven't been any.

We are big lively latin fans here. My son loves latin! He enjoys everything about the lessons. He likes the vocabulary he is learning. He loves the history. I never thought I would hear my kid say "yeah, today is a Latin day."

People here have done a great job describing the strengths and weaknesses. I didn't mind printing in colour. Don't bother printing the teacher's guide because it is just the workbook with the correct answers. I just open the file on my computer.

We have had it long enough that we haven't ever tried the video lessons but I am going to check that out.

We are doing it on our own schedule. For a while, we were only able to do Latin twice a week. That means it took a looong time to get through the book. At the begining of this school year, I was at the beginning of the last chapter. But, having taken summer off, I wasn't happy to be finishing the book. So, Considering that it took us two years to get through the book,I started at the beginning again. We are only doing the Latin, no history, and doing it three times a week. We are going to go through the entire book again. We are about half way done and I think we will finish by the end of the school year.

I am amazed at how much my son has retained. I am also amazed that he doesn't complain about doing it all over again. He knows that the next book is supposed to be tougher and he really wants to do it.

All in all, very pleased! It has been a wonderful introduction to Latin for my son AND for me!

Thank you so much for responding. I'm actually getting excited about teaching Latin. It's good to hear how your son loves it too.

We started last January doing about 2 pages a day, including history, continuing lightly through the summer, and finished up BB1 a few weeks ago. So it took us about a year of steady progression. We're now doing some review with the video lessons & exercises.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your detailed critique of Lively Latin.

I hope to help someone else someday just as you just did for me. I plan to work with and alongside my dd with Latin studies. I read your post carefully & will re-read it again as I re-read this thread.

All I have to go on from personal experience is the vocab cards.

Heather

Heather - that's a relief to hear that aabout 90% of the errors are corrected. I don't have Latin background & so need all the help I can get in this endeavor. Thank you.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but am thinking for next year.

No worries about hijacking from my end!

This wasn't addressed to me, but I'll answer. Minimus is set up like a comic book and has a cute little mouse (Minimus) who guides you through the story. We found it very difficult to use though with no background in Latin.

We're only a few lessons in, but so far I haven't seen any typos. We may come across them later, but as of yet, there haven't been any.

It looks as if I'd better stick with Lively Latin & maybe later get Minimus. It sounds fun!!!

We are big lively latin fans here. My son loves latin! He enjoys everything about the lessons. He likes the vocabulary he is learning. He loves the history. I never thought I would hear my kid say "yeah, today is a Latin day."

Thank you - another vote for Lively Latin! I'm enjoying all the input on this thread.