Menu

What is needed for Conceptual Chemistry?

Keep in my that my dd using CC is going to major in art...... She is using the textbook and the videos off the website. She has also done a few of the print off pages from the website. She is watching some labs and writing some lab reports from MIT open course wear. She is doing some of the "at home" labs that are in the textbook. I'll probably have her write a short research paper.

We only bought the textbook.

We are using it too. I bought a used textbook off Amazon. DD reads the text, watches the lectures online, completes the worksheets printed off from online, and does experiments with the Thames and Kosmos C3000 chem kit.

DD is science oriented so we are using this to prepare her to take chemistry through dual enrollment.

Pegasus

Could someone please post the ISBN numbers for the CC book? Thanks.

Conceptual Chemistry 3rd edition - 0805382216

Conceptual Chemistry 4th edition - 0136054536

It is likely that you will find much cheaper prices on the 3rd edition, which is what we are using. Be aware, however, that the textbook was reorganized extensively for the 4th edition. Most of the material is the same but it is shuffled around. The "extras" on the website that are freely available, the videos and worksheets, are organized for the 4th edition. It takes some careful planning to try to re-align everything to the 3rd edition.

Pegasus

If anyone is interested, I have 3 hardback copies of the 3rd edition Conceptual Chemistry student texts (Suchocki) and 1 copy pb of the corresponding laboratory manual, and 1 pb copy of the Instructor Manual for the 3rd edition text. PM me if you are looking for any of these.

We're using a 2nd ed. (c. 2004) of Conceptual Chemistry (just the student textbook) and the videos that are free on the website (you have to shuffle them around to match up with the chapters, as the website is geared for the 4th ed.). For labs, we're doing the experiments in the textbook (short, simple and they WORK!), and then mostly TOPS units and a little of the Microchem Kit. For tests, I use questions from the end-of-chapter reviews.

So far, it's working great! I'm not wild about the Microchem kit -- too fussy and difficult to get some of the experiments to work. The TOPS almost all have supply kits or individual supplies you can buy at the TOPS website. Also, check out some of the cool chemistry kits at Home Science Tools website.

Below I've listed kits we are using that match up with CC (2nd ed.). Hope something here is of help! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Conceptual Chemistry, 2nd ed. (c. 2004)

chapter 1 = Chemistry is a Science

- in textbook

- TOPS Kinetic Model (#1-13)

- Microchem (#A, #B, #9)

chapter 2 = Elements of Chemistry

- in textbook

- TOPS Analysis (#1-4)

- TOPS Solutions (#1-5)

chapter 3 = Atom & Subatomic Particles

chapter 4 = Atomic Nucleus

chapter 5 = Atomic Models

chapter 6 = Chemical Bonding and Molecular Shapes

- in textbook

- TOPS Cohesion/Adhesion (#5-6)

chapter 7 = Molecular Mixing

- in textbook

- Microchem (#3, 10, 12)

- TOPS Solutions (#14-28)

chapter 8 = Water Molecules

- in textbook

- TOPS Solution (#17)

- TOPS Cohesion/Adhesion (#1-12; 15; 21-24)

chapter 9 = Chemical Reactions

- in textbook

- Microchem (#4, 5, 7, 13, 15, 16)

- TOPS Analysis (#5-8)

chapter 10 = Acids and Bases

- in textbook

- TOPS Analysis (#9-16)

- Microchem (#11, 14)

chapter 11 = Oxidation and Reduction

- in textbook

- TOPS Solutions (#10-13)

- TOPS Oxidation (#1-16)

- Microchem (#6, 7, 17)

chapter 12 = Organic Compiounds

chapter 13 = Chemicals of Lilfe

chapter 14 = Chemistry of Drugs

chapter 15 = Optimizing Food Production

chapter 16 = Fresh Water Resources

chapter 17 = Air Resources

chapter 18 = Material Resources

chapter 19 = Energy Resources

- in textbook

We're using a 2nd ed. (c. 2004) of Conceptual Chemistry (just the student textbook) and the videos that are free on the website (you have to shuffle them around to match up with the chapters, as the website is geared for the 4th ed.). For labs, we're doing the experiments in the textbook (short, simple and they WORK!), and then mostly TOPS units and a little of the Microchem Kit. For tests, I use questions from the end-of-chapter reviews.

So far, it's working great! I'm not wild about the Microchem kit -- too fussy and difficult to get some of the experiments to work. The TOPS almost all have supply kits or individual supplies you can buy at the TOPS website. Also, check out some of the cool chemistry kits at Home Science Tools website.

Thanks for this list. Dd and her lab partners were able to get the MicroChem experiments to work every time, but I found that at times it was difficult to correlate well to every chapter. I want to use this book again, and am going to print this for reference :).

• 2 weeks later...

Below I've listed kits we are using that match up with CC (2nd ed.). Hope something here is of help! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Conceptual Chemistry, 2nd ed. (c. 2004)

chapter 1 = Chemistry is a Science

- in textbook

- TOPS Kinetic Model (#1-13)

- Microchem (#A, #B, #9)

chapter 2 = Elements of Chemistry

- in textbook

- TOPS Analysis (#1-4)

- TOPS Solutions (#1-5)

chapter 3 = Atom & Subatomic Particles

chapter 4 = Atomic Nucleus

chapter 5 = Atomic Models

chapter 6 = Chemical Bonding and Molecular Shapes

- in textbook

- TOPS Cohesion/Adhesion (#5-6)

chapter 7 = Molecular Mixing

- in textbook

- Microchem (#3, 10, 12)

- TOPS Solutions (#14-28)

chapter 8 = Water Molecules

- in textbook

- TOPS Solution (#17)

- TOPS Cohesion/Adhesion (#1-12; 15; 21-24)

chapter 9 = Chemical Reactions

- in textbook

- Microchem (#4, 5, 7, 13, 15, 16)

- TOPS Analysis (#5-8)

chapter 10 = Acids and Bases

- in textbook

- TOPS Analysis (#9-16)

- Microchem (#11, 14)

chapter 11 = Oxidation and Reduction

- in textbook

- TOPS Solutions (#10-13)

- TOPS Oxidation (#1-16)

- Microchem (#6, 7, 17)

chapter 12 = Organic Compiounds

chapter 13 = Chemicals of Lilfe

chapter 14 = Chemistry of Drugs

chapter 15 = Optimizing Food Production

chapter 16 = Fresh Water Resources

chapter 17 = Air Resources

chapter 18 = Material Resources

chapter 19 = Energy Resources

- in textbook

How easy will this be for a 10th grade student who loves science but struggles in math? We stopped Algebra 1 halfway through the year and now working through TT Math 7 to fix holes, especially when it comes to fractions, decimals and percentages. We will work through Pre-Algebra over the summer and probably into the fall.

How easy will this be for a 10th grade student who loves science but struggles in math?

Very do-able.

Speaking from our experience with the 2nd ed. (c. 2004), there is virtually no math in the text -- maybe one calculation per chapter, which is very simple as they walk you through it step-by-step. (And with that much hand-holding, you really don't need to have had Algebra.)

There are several math-like problems in the end-of-chapter review, but you could do them together, or skip them if they freak out your student too much, as there are plenty of other types of questions in the review.

Very do-able.

Speaking from our experience with the 2nd ed. (c. 2004), there is virtually no math in the text -- maybe one calculation per chapter, which is very simple as they walk you through it step-by-step. (And with that much hand-holding, you really don't need to have had Algebra.)

There are several math-like problems in the end-of-chapter review, but you could do them together, or skip them if they freak out your student too much, as there are plenty of other types of questions in the review.

I am so happy to hear this I could cry! I have really been agonizing over ds situation. Should I do Conceptual Chemistry or Conceptual Physics first or does it matter?

Ds also want to do Anatomy & Forensics (thinking about Winter Promise but also want a text), when should I fit this in? Ds will complete Biology at the end of May and he wants to swing right into the Anatomy but I'm not sure if he needs Chemistry first.

We are willing to hs year round to fit it all in. My head is starting to swim, lol!!! Advice please!!!

I am so happy to hear this I could cry! I have really been agonizing over ds situation. Should I do Conceptual Chemistry or Conceptual Physics first or does it matter?

Ds also want to do Anatomy & Forensics (thinking about Winter Promise but also want a text), when should I fit this in? Ds will complete Biology at the end of May and he wants to swing right into the Anatomy but I'm not sure if he needs Chemistry first.

We are willing to hs year round to fit it all in. My head is starting to swim, lol!!! Advice please!!!

If you are going to do both, I would suggest starting with Conceptual Physics. It will give the student a good base for understanding many of the chemistry concepts he will encounter with Conceptual Chemistry.

There is a LOT more math in Physics (even Conceptual Physics) because that is how you calculate force, gravity, velocity, etc. You would want to have completed Algebra 1 before getting into Physics so you feel comfortable with all the formulas and how to "plug and chug" (plug in the given values and chug/calculate to find the answer for the missing variable). Specifically: there are more math calculations in each chapter of Conceptual Physics, and then a section of math-type problems in each end-of-chapter review that should not be skipped. However, if you've had Algebra 1, they are not difficult problems.

Now you're moving into my "uncharted waters" :tongue_smilie:, as I have not researched any Anatomy or Forensics courses. However, I would think it makes sense to go straight into those areas from Biology as they are more related to Biology than to Chemistry. As long as schooling in the summer won't burn out your student maybe try one or both of the Anatomy / Forensics (perhaps ONLY do science over the summer, no other subjects, to keep it lighter), and then start Chemistry in the fall. BEST of luck! And enjoy your science journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I agree that CP would be easier if one has completed Algebra 1, but I had many students take my CP class the same year they were taking algebra 1. Those students seemed to do fine (my son was one of those). Hewitt mentions in the book (notes to the teacher section?) to focus on concepts rather than on the math. The way I would approach that is to do the more math intensive questions with the student and have the student work on the concept based questions at the end of the chapter. While a student might not understand direct/indirect proportionality by the equations, he can understand the concept by seeing and doing experiments.

FWIW, I like CC a lot, but I love CP. So maybe I'm just a little biased.:D

ETA: Whether one elects to do physics or chemistry first will also depend on how strongly one holds to the "physics first" philosophy (or if at all). Over the years of teaching physics and chemistry in co-op as well as with my own boys, I've become an even stronger proponent of "physics first".

Edited by CynthiaOK

!

There is a LOT more math in Physics (even Conceptual Physics) because that is how you calculate force, gravity, velocity, etc. You would want to have completed Algebra 1 before getting into Physics so you feel comfortable with all the formulas and how to "plug and chug" (plug in the given values and chug/calculate to find the answer for the missing variable). Specifically: there are more math calculations in each chapter of Conceptual Physics, and then a section of math-type problems in each end-of-chapter review that should not be skipped. However, if you've had Algebra 1, they are not difficult problems.

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Correct. :D

Thank you so much Lori D, Cynthia OK, and Karin, you lovely gals have taken a load off my mind! I have now narrowed down science to the following:

• Anatomy & Forensics
  • Physical Science: Concepts in Action
  • Conceptual Chemistry
  • Conceptual Physics

I will now present my findings to ds to see which sciences he wants to do over the next three years and in what order (or maybe we'll try mixing them like another post suggested).

LOL! I just noticed that almost simultaneously we both leaned in opposite directions on the question of doing Conceptual Chemistry or Physics first. Guess she'll just have to decide without our input. ;)

BTW Cynthia, we are REALLY enjoying both this year (11th gr. DS = CC; 12th gr. DD = CP). Your recommendations in the past helped sway us to switch -- thank you! SUCH a big bounce back into enjoying science after having the life sucked out of it by Apologia Biology, and only slightly less so, Apologia Chemistry. Wouldn't it be cool if someone could combine CC and CP with Mythbuster episodes and Mythbuster-style experiments?!

Hugs, Lori

Wouldn't it be cool if someone could combine CC and CP with Mythbuster episodes and Mythbuster-style experiments?!

LOL! I think we watched all the seasons of Mythbusters and MacGuyver that Netflix had when we were doing physics. Ds#3 was sure that his career calling involved being on Mythbusters!

I totally agree with the Apologia comment as well. I taught it once and, for us, it just made chemistry so much drudgery! I get really excited by chemistry and wanted my students to do so as well. I know it works for many folks so I think it has a niche, but definitely not for us.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to which to do first. So much depends on the student and the teacher. I think my bias may be that the experiments in CP were just so much fun! It was easy to be creative in designing experiments using everyday materials. The chemistry experiments were less "fun", IMO, but that may be because I wanted to do more involved experiments than the text could support. I wasn't able to make the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry experiments work well with the text, but that could just be my own issue :D We did end up moving away from CC to BJU Chemistry at the beginning of the spring semester because it is more of a "pure" chemistry approach which is what my boys were ready for and which I could easily support as a teacher. But I think CC is a fantastic option for high school chemistry.

I am so glad you are enjoying science again! That is my goal, as well, with my boys. I want them to enjoy it enough to want to learn more.

LOL! I think we watched all the seasons of Mythbusters and MacGuyver that Netflix had when we were doing physics. Ds#3 was sure that his career calling involved being on Mythbusters!

LOL! Well, they added Tory, Grant and Kari to attract a younger generation. Maybe they could add an even younger teen squad to further attract middle school/high school students to the field of science! ;)

I totally agree with the Apologia comment as well. I taught it once and, for us, it just made chemistry so much drudgery! I get really excited by chemistry and wanted my students to do so as well. I know it works for many folks so I think it has a niche, but definitely not for us.

Agreed; didn't mean to run down Apologia, as it is a fine program and works for most everyone I know... just not us.

...the experiments in CP were just so much fun! It was easy to be creative in designing experiments using everyday materials. The chemistry experiments were less "fun", IMO, but that may be because I wanted to do more involved experiments than the text could support.

Some of the TOPS units have worked QUITE well for us with the chemistry -- Analysis, Solutions, and (I hope -- not up to that chapter yet) Oxidation. It's the expensive MicroChem kit that has been a bust for us.

Again, thanks! :) Hugs, Lori

Ds has decided to do science in the following order:

• Anatomy & Forensics

• Physics

• Chemistry

Now all I have to do is figure out labs and supplements!:auto: I guess it's time to do more research and start a new thread! :lol:

That sounds good. There are a lot of good reasons to do Physics before Chemistry, so if he has the Algebra 1 this will work.