Menu

Logic stage history (ancients) notebook pt. 2!

Thanks for your help in my first thread. We are using TQ Ancient Egypt & Greece and Ancient Rome next year.

In thinking more about my previous thread I'm changing some things. Since my spines scheduled in TQ are Guerber, Dorothy Mills and Famous Men series, what about outlining summarizing those spines?

instead of this:

Notebook:

1.Notetaking from red Kingfisher

2.Outlines from Cultural Atlas for Young People Egypt,Greece Rome

3.Commonplace book (composition book per WEM) with summaries from non-fiction and historical fiction chapter books read

4.Think/Writes for each TQ book (about 8 per book)

5. Maps from Guerber

6. Timeline pages from Guesthollow

My notebook would be this:

1. Summaries from Guerber series

2. Outlines from Dorothy Mills series

3. Biography pages from Famous men series

4. Commonplace book (composition book per WEM) with summaries from non-fiction and historical fiction chapter books read

5. Think/Writes for each TQ book (about 8 per book)

6. Maps from Guerber

7. Timeline pages from Guesthollow

This seems self-explanatory for them as they follow their TQ spine reading schedule, instead of reinventing the wheel by plugging in another encyclopedia. Does 1-3 look ok?

Edited by LNC

It definitely look doable. A couple of thoughts on 1-3:

1. I believe the Mills series is listed as 6th-12th for a spine. I'm not sure how easy it would be to outline as I haven't personally seen it. In general, we outline from Guerber for topics are only cover 1 or 2 chapters and do summaries for topics that have more than 3 chapters.

2. What are you going to do for topics that overlap more than one spine? I'm sure for example all 3 books contain information on Julius Caesar. Doing a summary, an outline, and a biography would be overkill. For that matter, reading three separate spines covering the same material might get a bit tedious as well. For smaller topics, I try to choose 1 spine to read and then move on. For larger topics, I usually pick 1 spine and 1 library book or 2 spines if the two contain slightly different information.

HTH

It definitely look doable. A couple of thoughts on 1-3:

1. I believe the Mills series is listed as 6th-12th for a spine. I'm not sure how easy it would be to outline as I haven't personally seen it. In general, we outline from Guerber for topics are only cover 1 or 2 chapters and do summaries for topics that have more than 3 chapters.

2. What are you going to do for topics that overlap more than one spine? I'm sure for example all 3 books contain information on Julius Caesar. Doing a summary, an outline, and a biography would be overkill. For that matter, reading three separate spines covering the same material might get a bit tedious as well. For smaller topics, I try to choose 1 spine to read and then move on. For larger topics, I usually pick 1 spine and 1 library book or 2 spines if the two contain slightly different information.

HTH

Thanks soooo much for replying! I need help!

I was planning on assigning one summary, one outline and one bio page per week. I need to check what WTM says to do. Here is a sample of my lesson plans for a week of Ancient Rome. I plan on going back through and typing summary, outline and bio page next to the passage I choose for each assignment each week. Does that sound right?

Week 22

Begin at the Beginning □TQ1

Peek at Roman Life □TQ1a

Was there a Trojan War connection - Aeneid □TQ1b

□Guerber SotR Ch.I-IV, □Mills BotAR Ch.I-II and 2 pages of III, □AIS Ch.1, Invitations to the Classics p. 67-70

Romulus and Remus □TQ1c

□FMoR Ch.1, □The Romans pp.11-17, □Guerber SotR Ch.V-IX, □Mills BotAR ChIII remainder, □Plutarch’s Lives Romulus

Digging Deeper □TQ2

□HSWTL Ch.1 Episode 1

Does that make sense? What do you think of that idea? I think reading several spines about a single topic might be tedious, but we are fast readers now and we aren't checking out the plethora of library picture books we did for AHYS. So, I think that they can plow through the spines and books we own. Of course, we'll see! A better option may be Guerber for my son and Dorothy Mills for my daughter - since I scheduled both. She can read Guerber over the summer if she wants - I love those book and they are quick reads for a rising 7th grader.

Edited by LNC

Thanks soooo much for replying! I need help!

I was planning on assigning one summary, one outline and one bio page per week. I need to check what WTM says to do. Here is a sample of my lesson plans for a week of Ancient Rome. I plan on going back through and typing summary, outline and bio page next to the passage I choose for each assignment each week. Does that sound right?

Yes. That sounds similar to what we do. Most weeks it is one outline, one one paragraph summary, and one longer writing assignment.

Week 22

Begin at the Beginning □TQ1

Peek at Roman Life □TQ1a

Was there a Trojan War connection - Aeneid □TQ1b

□Guerber SotR Ch.I-IV, □Mills BotAR Ch.I-II and 2 pages of III, □AIS Ch.1, Invitations to the Classics p. 67-70

Romulus and Remus □TQ1c

□FMoR Ch.1, □The Romans pp.11-17, □Guerber SotR Ch.V-IX, □Mills BotAR ChIII remainder, □Plutarch’s Lives Romulus

Digging Deeper □TQ2

□HSWTL Ch.1 Episode 1

Does that make sense? What do you think of that idea? I think reading several spines about a single topic might be tedious, but we are fast readers now and we aren't checking out the plethora of library picture books we did for AHYS. So, I think that they can plow through the spines and books we own. Of course, we'll see! A better option may be Guerber for my son and Dorothy Mills for my daughter - since I scheduled both. She can read Guerber over the summer if she wants - I love those book and they are quick reads for a rising 7th grader.

I think for topics covered by both Guerber and Mills, I'd opt for Mills for the older and Guerber for the younger. That opens up the opportunity for them to discuss what they have read with each other which is usually a good thing.

Yes. That sounds similar to what we do. Most weeks it is one outline, one one paragraph summary, and one longer writing assignment.

I think for topics covered by both Guerber and Mills, I'd opt for Mills for the older and Guerber for the younger. That opens up the opportunity for them to discuss what they have read with each other which is usually a good thing.

Thanks for replying! This has been a confusing process to me - I love both TQ and the WTM logic methods.

Our plan for next year (which coincidentally begins next month, when we start SOTW3) is based on recs from TWTM for Logic stage history. He will be a 5th grader next year. This will be our schedule:

Monday:

• Listen to the chapter in SOTW on Audio CD & Follow along in student text
  • List 10 Facts from the Chapter
  • Discuss Orally the review questions in the AG
  • Timeline work

Wednesday:

• 1-level Outline of a 2pg spread from Usborne IL Encyclopedia of History
  • Mapwork
  • Read at least one topic-related Non-fiction book from library (I usually choose a few and let him pick whichever one he wants for assigned reading)

Friday:

• SOTW Chapter Test
  • Chapter Summary using 10 Facts & Outline from Monday & Wednesday

His History Notebook will have sections including:

1. Facts (from SOTW3)
  2. Outlines (from UILHE)
  3. Timeline
  4. Mapwork
  5. Tests
  6. Summaries
  7. Booklist

HTH Some!! :D