Menu

Flying with Kids--what are your best tips?

We leave at 6:30 Saturday morning for my daughter's Make a Wish trip to Disney.

We will be taking a small 37 seater to Milwalkee and then a bigger plane to Orlando. Same airline but we will have to switch planes.

We will have the 5 of us flying. Ds flew about 2 years ago and HATES flying. I have not flown commerically in 35 years and the kids have never flown so we are all newbies to this.

We will have LOTS of medication---dh's inslulin, test strips, meter, lancets, needles, etc. Then the girls each have about 12 prescription meds they take along with vitamins, etc--thankfully all pill form though. Then we need the nebulizer with solution for 14dd and the c-pap for dh.

I am thinking a wheeled carry on and a small backpack for each plus the medical stuff. We will check one suitcase but honestly we want to travel light and can't risk the meds, nebulizer, c-pap, etc. being lost, damages, etc.

Any good hints for me?

On the small planes the wheeled 21 inch carry ons are ofter "gate checked". They take them from you just before you enter the plane and return them the same place. I would be sure meds were in something smaller like a kid sized suitcase with wheels or tote sized. Check with the airline. Have Fun!!!

Review the current TSA guidelines for getting through security. These seem to change frequently and not knowing them can cause a real slow down to get through. Make sure any liquids or gels are in containers less than 3 oz and that they all fit into a single quart-size ziplock bag (per passenger). You'll have to pull this out at security, as well as take off shoes, coats, etc. It's not bad for a single business traveler but can be a real pain for a family.

Be sure to let the airline rep at check-in know if you have any special needs during flight and if you need to load the plane early to get settled in before they start the cattle call. Repeat this information to the gate agent. It's not fun to sit in the plane longer than necessary but you really want to get on early so you can to stow your stuff carefully and safely. Those bins fill up fast.

It goes without saying, I guess, to bring along plenty of distractions for the children. If you allow hand-held video devices, this is a perfect time to use them, although warn the children ahead of time that they will have to be turned off for take-off and landing.

Take snacks and buy water once you get past security. They don't feed you on planes anymore and even drink service can take a long time. Flying is dehydrating so make sure everyone is drinking lots.

Have a super fun great time!

Pegasus

We will have LOTS of medication---dh's inslulin, test strips, meter, lancets, needles, etc. Then the girls each have about 12 prescription meds they take along with vitamins, etc--thankfully all pill form though. Then we need the nebulizer with solution for 14dd and the c-pap for dh.

I'd call the airline and ask them what the best way to handle all of this is - you've got a lot of stuff there that they'll prolly examine, dig through, whatever. Everything needs proper labelling, original cases, blah blah. A doc's letter would prolly be helpful. I would think. I wouldn't know for sure though, which is why I say call the airline. Someone there should know....

Oh and hey - with special needs kids, you should be able to check in & board before others do. We always have (ds12 is my sn kid) and it's quite helpful. You can get your kids settled in their seats and stuff stowed away before having to dodge elbows and flying duffle bags.

Oh and - I don't know about your kids specifically, but the first time that ds12 flew, we took him a few days ahead and just did a wander 'round the airport. That can be helpful with some SN kiddos - kind of a "practice run", get them familiar with where you'll be going before you have to do it with stuffstuffstuff and at top speed. ;)

Echoing lots of what has been said. I always carry an empty water bottle w/ me, then fill it up at a water fountain once I'm through security. Snacks are good too, esp. w/ kids &/or medical issues where you may need food at a certain time.

Definitely have all liquids/lotions separated in a quart-sized ziploc in order to go through security. W/ all the medication, you need to make sure you have everything in the original prescription bottles, any medical notes, etc....

If you or the kids are wearing a 'hoodie' jacket (or even a hooded sweatshirt), you will have to take it off to go through security. (Make sure you're wearing something underneath.)

Books, a small notepad w/ pencils/crayons, &/or a handheld game or dvd player can be great entertainment while flying (and while waiting between flights).

You have received great advice so far. I second the advice of reading the airlines web page about TSA rules and then maybe even calling the airline direct.

The cpap machine I do have experience with, but the nebulizer should follow the same rules. They are considered medical equipment and will not count towards your allowable carry on. You do not need a Dr's slip for them, just carry it in the travel bag that came with it. The airlines are very familiar with them anymore.

The smaller plane is the one I would be concerned about because not all carryons will fit in the overhead compartment and they will take them from you at the gate if the plane is really full and they run out of room overheard. I would question the airline specifically about that. The larger plane should not be a problem as long as you stick with the size bags they recommend.

Have a great time!

The smaller plane is the one I would be concerned about because not all carryons will fit in the overhead compartment and they will take them from you at the gate if the plane is really full and they run out of room overheard. I would question the airline specifically about that. The larger plane should not be a problem as long as you stick with the size bags they recommend.

I agree. I would double check with the airline on what size bags will fit in the smaller plane to insure the airline won't want to gate-check them.

Everyone has given great advice so far. Just make sure you have snacks, you buy water beyond security and everyone has plenty to do. You'll be fine. :)

This may sound silly but...

I would send one adult through first-before they start checking the bag with the meds. Then send the kids through and then the last adult. That way you have one parent to deal with the kids and one to talk to TSA.

Also-the calmer you are about everything the calmer the kids will be and give your self plenty of time.

I'll ditto all the great advice you've already gotten. :)

One of the things that people find unnerving is the sound of a plan taking off and landing after it hits the runway. The engine sound is hugely loud and some kids are more sensitive to sound than others. You may want to do some googling and find some soundtracks or video of planes taking off and landing - of course only the ones that aren't involved in some problem, :tongue_smilie: and watch and listen to those together. Then when you're on the plane, there won't be any surprises and you can even talk about how it sounds similar to one or another that you've already heard or seen.

Here's one site with some plane sounds:

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/airplanesoundfx.shtml

Something else you can do for fun, is ask one of the flight attendants if you can have the map of the flight after you land. Very cool and makes for a great souvenir! : )

If you're leaving through your small, regional airport, and it's anything like ours, getting there will at least seem easier. Security is a relaxed event, and everyone tends to be more helpful. Once you've gone through there, you're done all the way to Orlando. Make sure everyone wears shoes that are easy to take off and put back on.

Going home, Orlando security has a "medical" lane. When you get into the security line, tell the person that you have a lot of medications for a medical condition, and they'll tell you which lane to get in. There's also a "family" lane for groups with small children, which we always get directed to.

We fly with 4 kids a lot, but I don't have any medical condition experience, other than having an emergency C-Section in Orlando and flying home on lots of meds with a preemie. I had to go through the airport in a wheelchair, and someone from the airport took us all the way from curb-side check-in through security to our gate. It was quite an experience!

The smaller plane tends to make us a little queasy depending on the weather. We take non-drowsy Dramamine for that. We also pack gum for ear comfort.

Lots of great ideas. Thanks.

I esp. like the send 1 adult ahead with the kids and then I will check the med bag. I feel like we will have enough for a pharmacy. What I might do is for the meds that both girls take the same thing, bring only 1 bottle but put enough in it for both of them---that will cut the number of bottles down quite a bit.

I need to see if I need the ENTIRE box with the prescription/pharmacy tag on it for the nebulizer solution or if I can take just the sealed foil packets. We won't need the HUGE box of 80 there, 10-15 will be more than enough.

These are crucial. If it's not labeled with your name or the name of one of your family, they'll yank it.

(Original prescription bottles, that is) - make sure they are in your carryon. You can have a daily organizer with the day's medications, but make sure you can produce those bottles on demand.

I haven't had to travel with DH's CPAP so I don't know about that, but I've always had two carryons - one I can store overhead with the necessary but not immediate. The other goes at my feet with what I'll need for the flight. I've been stuck too many times with turbulence preventing me from getting up and reaching a toy, a drink, a book, a sweater, etc. during the flight. If I can fit both carryons under the seats (one under mine and one under DD), then I do. It's a lot easier.

Definitely try to pre-board so you have space near you in the overheads and you can get settled appropriately.