Menu

Do I want a toaster oven or a microwave?

And both isn't an option. I'm going to get one or the other this week. We'd planned on a microwave since we'll mostly use it to reheat leftovers, but toaster ovens are less expensive here and a lot more versatile. That would be nice, because the only other appliances I have in the kitchen are a fridge and a stove that's rather finicky.

So is it convenient to reheat leftovers in a toaster oven? Does it take a lot longer than a microwave? I'm awful at reheating leftovers on the stove- I end up with dried-out food and a lot of scrubbing. I also hate that I always have to get more pots dirty. There's no running water in my kitchen, so the fewer dishes I have to do, the better. I'm leaning toward the toaster oven, but we'll go with the microwave if it's a lot better than the toaster oven.

Thanks.

I would suggest a microwave in that case. Anything you can do in a toaster oven you CAN do in a regular oven, but the microwave has some unique features. It is generally faster than a toaster oven at reheating. Consider getting one of those plastic reheating covers for the microwave to help hold moisture in.

You can microwave in almost any container except metal [though there are concerns about using plastic], so that could save you on dishes, whereas to reheat in the toaster oven you would need to make sure your dish fit in and wouldn't melt.

Good luck!

We have a toaster oven. DD is begging for a microwave. Whereas I don't mind reheating foods on the stove, DD loathes it. She is usually in a hurry and doesn't give herself enough time to warm things in a pan on the stove.

I almost gave in to her this payday but I managed to refrain from buying a microwave. I really don't have the extra money or the counter space.

The main reasons I was leaning toward the toaster oven were to use it as a small oven, since our regular oven is difficult to use; for toasting bread, since we don't have a toaster; and because there are more brands in the bazaar (in other words, they're not all from China, and if you think you've seen cheap Chinese imports, you haven't seen anything compared to this place). I don't mind it taking longer to reheat things in a toaster oven, but if it really is a lot better to reheat in a microwave, that would probably trump everything.

I'd get the microwave and pick up a cheap little toaster too. :)

I've had lots of toaster ovens - people seem to think of me when they want to get rid of theirs :laugh: - and I rarely ever used them. They're a pain - they toast slow, the don't cook very evenly, they're annoying to clean, you can only put certain trays/dishes in them, etc - and they're a fire hazard. A guy a new a few years ago told me that - he was a volunteer fire fighter and he said that you'd be surprised how many house fires are traced to "those &^%$# things". ;)

Microwaves are easy to use (and most have multiple settings for different things), simple to clean, doesn't much matter what dish you use as long as it isn't metal, and fast.

If you don't want - or can't get - a little toaster, just bend a wire coat hanger and make your toast over your burners. It's a bit slow, but it works.

If you don't want - or can't get - a little toaster, just bend a wire coat hanger and make your toast over your burners. It's a bit slow, but it works.

I can see my toast-loving son thinking this is a great idea. Thanks for the idea.

And I appreciate all the advice here. I've never owned a toaster oven before so I really don't know much about them.

We opted for the toaster oven. It's healthier and the food tastes better (or maybe I should say feels better, since it's more the texture) when reheated in the toaster oven. I love toaster ovens! The only thing that you might not be able to do is quickly heat a mug of water, but we have another applicance that boils the water in a pitcher.

I've always had a microwave and only got a toaster oven several months ago. You definitely want a microwave. We use the microwave at least 10 times for every time we use the toaster oven. For re-heating, a microwave wins over a toaster oven handily.

The healthiness depends on what you put IN the microwave or toaster oven, not the device itself. . .unless you are using a microwave with a broken door and standing right in front of it for hours while it's cooking on high. So, I don't suggest that.

Pegasus

Well, this is just my experience. I'm sure ymmv.

I wanted a toaster oven for a long time b/c I wanted to cut way down and even eliminate microwave use: health, nutrition content, all that.

I finally got the toaster oven. For reasons that seem incomprehensible now, we got a nice big toaster oven with a . . . spit? . . . for poultry. We're vegetarians. go figger. I think we were going for size: we wanted to be able to put in pizzas (homemade so smaller) and things like that.

Well, it was, for a toaster oven, rather attractive for a while. That's really all I can say for it. It sat on our counter top for a couple of years.

We never bonded.

Toast didn't cook evenly. Even though our hm pizzas were small, they weren't small enough and making them smaller was okay but we could only do one at a time. Really, that is doable but it was just easier to put it in the oven. Honestly, even toast was easier in the oven but I don't know why. Possibly b/c I developed a level of animosity toward my toaster oven.;)

As far as reheating food, nope. Not us, anyway. It just didn't work for reheating. I even bought a bunch of oven-proof bowls which I am now glad to have but were not used in the toaster oven.

I wish I had spent the money on a cool toaster. I've looked at them and found one that will toast and poach an egg at the same time but the egg thing is teflon coated. Not into that so I never got one.

By now, gadget is not appealing. I make toast in the oven (usually) or in an iron skillet on the stove. I reheat in the microwave or stove top (more and more stove top lately).

I still have my toaster oven and if you lived anywhere near me I'd just give it to you. It's out in the garage. The reason I finally moved it out to the garage, besides to free up the counter space, was b/c even though we didn't use it that often, it looked as if we did.

just my exp.

Toaster oven. You can cook in a toaster oven. Real food, cooked in a traditional fashion. You can toast. You can bake. You can broil. You can re-heat.

Microwaves just scramble electrons and heat food very unnaturally from the inside out. They make for very weird "texture" for anything you do try to "cook" in them. They tend to encourage bad eating habits. And what they do to the nutritional value of foods is a matter of debate.

I vote: Toaster Oven.

Bill (a champion of traditional values :D)

Toaster oven. You can cook in a toaster oven. Real food, cooked in a traditional fashion. You can toast. You can bake. You can broil. You can re-heat.

Microwaves just scramble electrons and heat food very unnaturally from the inside out. They make for very weird "texture" for anything you do try to "cook" in them. They tend to encourage bad eating habits. And what they do to the nutritional value of foods is a matter of debate.

I have a microwave oven and a toaster oven. I use the toaster oven much more now than before. A friend of mine who knows a lot of nutrition told me that microwave DESTROYS a lot of vitamins and renders the food as NOT nutritious anymore. So even though I like to heat things fast, I would not like to eat food with not much nutrition left in it. So I compromise and heat things in the toaster oven or a pan on the stove.

It's one of "those" things. Like flu shots. cell phones. corn on the cob. raw cows. Stuff like that.

My friend who has a ALS-afflicted dh believes that microwave destroys vitamins and nutrients in the food. So we heat up food in a pan on stove top or in the toaster oven.

http://www.naturalnews.com/021966.html

Edited by aomom

It depends on what you want it for.

In general I prefer my toaster oven, but if I wanted an appliance solely for reheating and I didn't care about the traditional complaints about microwave nutrition and texture...I would get a microwave.

A microwave is faster and mostly foolproof.

Toaster ovens are wonderful for additional baking and toasting capability. I like ours. I almost got rid of our microwave, but my youngest started a diet which meant reheating small portions, melting butter, etc. several times a day. For this kind of thing the microwave is perfect. I can do similar things in the microwave but it takes longer, things can dry out, and the dishes get hot sooner.

If you have lived without a microwave oven for this long, I would go for the toaster oven. It will be a step up for you without resorting to the possible health problems of microwaving.

We have a microwave which we now use maybe once a week- so we are heading in the opposite direction- how to use one less and less.

Yep! Another vote for toaster oven.

Our microwave died a few months ago, and, frankly, I was not a bit sad to see it go.

We replaced it with a toaster/convection oven and I don't miss the microwave at all.

Another vote for toaster oven.

For one, it sounds like the quality of the appliances is very questionable. I'd rather risk that with a toaster oven than with a microwave oven.

I would suggest using a stainless steel pan or tray and using non-stick spray (oil) or lining it with aluminum foil (if it won't react with the food) or one of those new "paper" liners you can use for cookie trays and such. Those will minimize the amount of clean up.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get. :)

I would buy a toaster oven. Sounds like you would use it as an oven as your regular oven is not working well?

I am, however, one of those who is not yet convinced that the microwave does not change enzymes in food and therefore makes them less available for our bodies.

If you are just getting one appliance, perhaps you can splurge on a better model that has accurate temperature settings which would make baking a better experience.

Will you be able to choose among brands that you are familiar with or will you have to guess as to quality?

I would buy a toaster oven. Sounds like you would use it as an oven as your regular oven is not working well?

I am, however, one of those who is not yet convinced that the microwave does not change enzymes in food and therefore makes them less available for our bodies.

If you are just getting one appliance, perhaps you can splurge on a better model that has accurate temperature settings which would make baking a better experience.

Will you be able to choose among brands that you are familiar with or will you have to guess as to quality?

There aren't any brands available here I'm familiar with. The microwaves we've seen are all from China, but the toaster ovens are from a variety of places and the ones not from China are probably more reliable and have better instructions. You've hit on the reasons why I'm more comfortable with the toaster oven.

We just got something like this. It is a microwave/convection/oven combination unit but is the size of a large microwave. I'm still trying to learn how to use the darn thing :D. It has a lot of "rules" but I think this type of device should be super awesome once its operation becomes a little more second nature.

We have a microwave, a toaster oven and a regular toaster. The microwave easily gets the most use - for hot water for tea, for re-heating, for cooking some foods. DH uses the toaster oven more than I do, I almost never use it. It's too small to fit much in, its slow to warm-up and I'd rather use the oven. But, we do have a regular 2-slice toaster for toast.

I've looked into the safety of microwaves and there are studies and arguements on both sides. Although, if I lived somewhere that I couldn't be sure of the quality of the appliance - I think I'd avoid the microwave.

The only dishes we can put in the toaster oven are those we could put in the regular oven. Anything that is not metal can be put in the microwave but there are some concerns over plastics.

Sorry, I guess that's not much help, is it?