Menu

Are you a Happy Rhodes fan? Looking for some help ...

My daughter and I love the music of Happy Rhodes. Ms. Rhodes has a phenomenal voice and an incredible range. We have two albums -- Equipoise which we like very much and Building the Colossus of which we are slightly less enamored. (You can hear samples at the links.) Given that, what other album(s) of Happy Rhodes or of other artists might we like?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Kareni

Guest Equipoise
My daughter and I love the music of Happy Rhodes. Ms. Rhodes has a phenomenal voice and an incredible range. We have two albums -- Equipoise which we like very much and Building the Colossus of which we are slightly less enamored. (You can hear samples at the links.) Given that, what other album(s) of Happy Rhodes or of other artists might we like?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Kareni

Hi Kareni, I kind of barged in here not being a member before, but I get Google Alerts for any mention of Happy and this popped up. I've been a Happy fan for about 22 years and it always thrills me, not only when people say they like her, but to hear of two generations who like her, that's very cool. How did you discover Happy? How old is your daughter?

I hope no one minds if I provide some links. I have no professional or financial interests in Happy, I'm just a fan who likes to spread the music.

You can listen to all of the albums and decide which one(s) you like in two ways. I'm sort of Happy's go-to Internet person and she very kindly allowed me to put her music up on the net. She doesn't make any money from her music (and in fact doesn't make music anymore, though she could again in the future, maybe) but she does want people to hear it. She has 11 albums.

Streaming audio:

http://rhodesongs.com/music/

YouTube as audio-only individual songs:

http://www.youtube.com/user/happyrhodesalbums

I think you'd love Warpaint and The Keep, so start with those. If you try her early albums, don't let the monsters scare you. There's a story behind each one, and they're her friends. She loooves monsters. If she'd been born in Hollywood she'd be working for Rick Baker or Guillermo del Toro making monsters for movies.

Have you two seen any of the live clips on YouTube? My husband shot most of them. Here are a few links:

(live version,
on Equipoise)

(live,
on Ecto)

(live,
on Many Worlds Are Born Tonight)

(live,
on MWABT)

(live, originally from Building the Colossus-original
original
)

(live,
on Warpaint)

(live,
on Equipoise)

(live, non-album track)

(live,
on Ecto)

Here's a video I made of her song

using various cat pictures (the song is from the point of view of a cat, and is on Warpaint).

These show her great sense of humor:

(live,
on Warpaint)

(live,
on Warpaint)

(live,
on Building the Colossus)

(live,
on MWABT. The "Calvin Klein ad" riff from Down Down continues after the song. This was two years before the song made it onto Many Worlds Are Born Tonight as the title track)

(live,
on Ecto)

A few covers:

(Peter Gabriel cover)

(David Bowie cover)

(Duran Duran cover, stay for the banter at the end)

(Queen cover, paired with her song "Possessed")

(Kate Bush cover. I'm the Vickie she mentions because I pestered her for years to cover Kate)

(Bee Gees cover)

(Annie Lennox cover)

(Yes cover)

Of course, there's plenty more where those came from and I could talk about Happy all day, but I tend to go a bit overboard and wouldn't want to drive anyone away. I'm a huge fan, but harmless. *smile*

Vickie

Hello Vickie,

Thanks for your very comprehensive reply!

I've been a Happy fan for about 22 years and it always thrills me, not only when people say they like her, but to hear of two generations who like her, that's very cool. How did you discover Happy? How old is your daughter?

I'm pretty certain we discovered Happy Rhodes by chance as our library had one of her CDs (the Equipoise one) and we were just sampling the collection. My daughter at that time was perhaps 15 or so; she's now a college student. (I'm older!)

I hope no one minds if I provide some links. I have no professional or financial interests in Happy, I'm just a fan who likes to spread the music.

I'm very grateful for all the links. I'll be busy for some time investigating them all. Many thanks!

Regards,

Kareni