Menu

Okay, someone just tell me which chemistry to get

The only reason I would be going to a conference this summer would be to look at high school science. In particular, I need to buy a chemistry for 10th grade next year. Everything else I have a decent handle on what to use. A conference would be fun and I would enjoy it, so I thought I'd go.

But, fuel prices are getting too high. Grocery prices are getting too high. I just can't justify driving 4 - 6 hours for a conference because of 1 subject. And I fear some of the "secular" (ie textbooks other than BJU or Apologia) chemistry choices won't be represented.

So, someone just tell me what to buy......:).......for a solid college prep chemistry choice that will either include a lab or have a kit I can purchase to make it a lab credit.

Thank you!!!!!

We are suffering through Apologia. I have tried a few other sciences, and Apologia wins hands down for easiness teaching at home without the teacher. The wordiness is because it is the text and lecture all wrapped together. It is really getting better and stretching dd. Chemistry is hard no matter what you use.

I ended up ordering multiple chemistry texts used from amazon to compare.

Prentice Hall Chemistry (what Oak Meadow uses)

This book looks REALLY light. I have the OM syllabus and there are some really silly writing assignments in there. I would only use this for 9th graders who are weak in math and science.

World of Chemistry (Zumdahl)

This one looks okay. It's definitely a step up from PH Chemistry above. I don't like the layout though. My copy had a few glaring errors (like saying that pressure*volume equals a constant and then writing the formula PK=k).

Introductory Chemisty (Tro)

I really like the looks of this one. The layout is fabulous and it explains everything very well. It's typically used for honors classes in high school or for college level chemistry for nonscience majors. This is the one that I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Chemistry-2nd-Nivaldo-Tro/dp/0131470582/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298854840&sr=1-1

ETA:

I forgot to say that I am planning on using Labpaq for the labs.

Yes, I believe you can but, ouch, it is expensive. It probably would make more economical sense to buy the two texts from Amazon and buy the other pieces from Oak Meadow.

Yes, well, I bought the whole set and the TM separately and we are happy with it. I don't think the text is dumbed down at all. It is an accessible text and the assignments are easy to do while having the student learn (reluctant boy who does love chemistry).

I do keep looking at Spectrum. Can it be bought "in pieces" so I could get a look at the text prior to purchasing the lab equipment? Anyone have any experience with their customer service?

At this point, I'm thinking about purchasing a few books then return the ones I don't like. Then, I'll buy the lab supplies. I would still like to narrow my choices down to 2 or 3 so I don't have a bunch to return.

We are using Conceptual Chemistry this year and really like it. It has a great website (free to use if you purchase the book), with lots of online mini-lectures/videos. We're also using Explorations in Conceptual Chemistry

by Jeffrey Paradis, Prentice Hall, as a lab supplement.

Well, what I've decided to do is order some of these choices and then return what I don't want. I've narrowed it down to three contenders. 2 I can get for a low price, but the Spectrum student book is $85. That's not a bad price, but I don't want to pay that much if I'm not 100% sure I want it. I'm hoping either one of the other 2 are wonderful and we fall in love with it, or they are both awful and decide to go with Spectrum based on their sample pages. At least I'm off square one! Thanks everyone!!! I'll keep you posted.....