Menu

All About Reading

mommymilkies

I'd never heard of such a program until I googled it just now. This was the only link I got that matched.

It doesn't seem to be a product but a company...So, I guess this is the wrong thing....

The correct one would be this:

http://www.allaboutreading.com/

It's made by the company that makes All About Spelling (AAS).

I don't know when it's supposed to come out though. Maybe Merry can give us an update? :D Originally it was supposed to be January, then it got pushed back to later this month. That's where we are now, so I don't know if it's getting pushed back more or not?

It is supposed to be on the website by next week, but you can call and order over the phone! I've been waiting for this since the sample came out. My littles had a BLAST with the sample, so I decided to go with the pre-level instead of waiting for level 1 to come out. I can't wait to start it next week when it arrives!

I threw away my notes, sorry, but here is an approximate from my memory which can be sketchy sometimes:

2 readers - about $15 each

TM/Student Materials (this includes workbooks that the students will need) - around $50

Basic set - includes cards, posters, cd - around $15

Delux set - includes everything in the basic plus a nice box to organize the cards, big AAR bag, Zebra puppet - around $45

I think if you buy both readers, they give you the audio cd of the readers free.

I think you can also buy additional student materials if you need them.

I am NOT affiliated with AAR, and I DO NOT know the actual prices. I am just pulling this info. out of my brain from my own order.

I threw away my notes, sorry, but here is an approximate from my memory which can be sketchy sometimes:

2 readers - about $15 each

TM/Student Materials (this includes workbooks that the students will need) - around $50

Basic set - includes cards, posters, cd - around $15

Delux set - includes everything in the basic plus a nice box to organize the cards, big AAR bag, Zebra puppet - around $45

I think if you buy both readers, they give you the audio cd of the readers free.

I think you can also buy additional student materials if you need them.

I am NOT affiliated with AAR, and I DO NOT know the actual prices. I am just pulling this info. out of my brain from my own order.

Thanks for this info. Which products are necessary? I'm so excited!

Guest aquiverfull

I've been waiting for this too. But that price seems kind of expensive to me. Especially since I've heard it's going to be 7 levels like AAS. If each level is that much, that will add up quickly. I guess I have to see what's included before I decide but I'm a little disappointed in that price.

ETA: I think I read at theCHatterbee that you'll need to choose either the Basic or Deluxe package. It might be a one time purchase like it it with AAS, I'm not sure. That's :

$15 for the Basic. Then you need the TM/Student package for $49.95 and then the two readers @ $15 each. So:

15 + $49.95 + $30 = $94.95, even more if you choose the Deluxe package. So if there's going to be 7 levels about that same price, it's going to end up being one very expensive reading program.

Edited by aquiverfull

I've been waiting for this too. But that price seems kind of expensive to me. Especially since I've heard it's going to be 7 levels like AAS. If each level is that much, that will add up quickly. I guess I have to see what's included before I decide but I'm a little disappointed in that price.

ETA: I think I read at theCHatterbee that you'll need to choose either the Basic or Deluxe package. It might be a one time purchase like it it with AAS, I'm not sure. That's :

$15 for the Basic. Then you need the TM/Student package for $49.95 and then the two readers @ $15 each. So:

15 + $49.95 + $30 = $94.95, even more if you choose the Deluxe package. So if there's going to be 7 levels about that same price, it's going to end up being one very expensive reading program.

It does seem kind of pricey. That's why I'm curious as to what are the necessary components and what is just gravy. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I really do like AAS, so AAR may be totally worth the $$ to me.

Guest aquiverfull
Here's a picture of it.

http://www.thechatterbee.com/forum/topics/all-about-reading-level-pre1

I'm planning to get it when it is posted online but it looks more like something I'll be doing with my 4 year old than my 6 year olds.

Oh wow. Thanks for posting that. It looks really great. However, I worry just like you. I think my 6 year old is probably way past it and my 4 year might be able to use it. I'm not sure it would be worth the money. I wish it were level 1 instead of the Pre-level. I remember when it was supposed to come out in October ? (I think) then it got pushed back to December then to Feb. Oh well. I really needed it months ago.

My dd is probably a little past it, but I think it will be good review for her to do with little brother. She already knows most of her phonograms, but still needs more work with them before she's really ready to take off. I figure I'll go through it twice with my 3 yo. It just seems like the price is comparable to any other pre-k boxed curriculum.

At that price, I'm thinking just sticking with AAS for reading might be the better way for me to go. We're giving it a try with my 4 year old right now. If nothing else, it's amusing (I thought my oldest was bad about making the words explode :lol:).

Guest aquiverfull

I got an email this morning that said it's going to be for sale tomorrow March 2nd. They also included another free ebook-- "Safari Stories with Zigzag Zebra" and the previously released free ebook on the site.

My girls are going to be so excited! They loved the first ebook with Ziggy in the Kitchen and still ask all the time to replay the rhyming games from it.

I got an email this morning that said it's going to be for sale tomorrow March 2nd. They also included another free ebook-- "Safari Stories with Zigzag Zebra" and the previously released free ebook on the site.

My girls are going to be so excited! They loved the first ebook with Ziggy in the Kitchen and still ask all the time to replay the rhyming games from it.

It's actually on the website today!

Yip, it's up, but no sample files yet. I wonder if the A-Z CD is similar to the AAS CD since we already have that. It looks like you could definitely pare down to basics, but I don't really WANT a 7 level reading program! Maybe someone can clarify for us :).

I have a 4-year old who knows most of her short letter sounds and is FOREVER asking me to spell words for her. I'm looking at it with her in mind.

Official response on the ChatterBee is 8 levels including this one, but they aren't all for teaching phonics. This is going to turn into a reading/comprehension/fluency program that goes up into high school apparently. I'm not sure how many levels they'll take to teach the phonics though.

Does anyone know about the binding on the My Book of Letters and Sounds activity book? From the sample, it really looks like crafts/activities where you will want to either photocopy or tear the page out of the book.

If it's meant to be torn out, then you need a new book for each child, but the book is not sold by itself. I would think that you only need one set of picture cards, sound cards, and alphabet charts per family. I wouldn't mind having to buy a new student book for each child, but I don't want duplicates of everything else in the student pack.

I am so curious about this curriculum. I would love a great reading program. The program we used for my son was less than spectacular and we are still dealing with the aftermath for it (his reading has a lot of holes in it). I would gladly pay the price (although I feel it is too high) if it is a great program. But 7-8 levels?! What will be covered?! I wonder exactly what components are needed? I guess if you figure that two of my children can use it then the price isn't that bad (as long as I don't have to replace everything for the second child!). Any ideas when the other levels will be out?