Menu

My 10yo DD doesn't get sarcasm

I mean she really doesn't get it at all. Socially, she can be a little blunt, but otherwise, there are no real problems. But, I see that she struggles with thinking people are being mean, not getting a joke, etc. I know we're all wired differently and I don't want to create a problem that doesn't exist, but I don't want her to misinterpret what is being said to her. What kind of intervention would the hive recommend?

Thanks!

Peace,

Rene

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I have always considered sarcasm to be only-slightly-veiled hostility, and I strongly discourage it. Can you give an example?

We have a much lighter view of sarcasm. It's a form of humor and word play. We use it all the time so my DDs are used to it. I'm not sure how to go about teaching someone how to recognize and understand it, though.

OP- Do you watch Big Bang Theory by any chance? The main character, Sheldon, asks folks to please indicate when they are using sarcasm because he doesn't recognize it either.

Pegasus

I mean she really doesn't get it at all. Socially, she can be a little blunt, but otherwise, there are no real problems. But, I see that she struggles with thinking people are being mean, not getting a joke, etc. I know we're all wired differently and I don't want to create a problem that doesn't exist, but I don't want her to misinterpret what is being said to her. What kind of intervention would the hive recommend?

I read somewhere that most children don't understand sarcasm until they are 12 yrs old.

My older dd didn't. My younger dd was very "gifted" in the sarcasm area- she understood it to be humor at age 5.

I agree with the pp that sarcasm can be thinly veiled cruelty, but I don't think it always is.

We have a much lighter view of sarcasm. It's a form of humor and word play. We use it all the time so my DDs are used to it. I'm not sure how to go about teaching someone how to recognize and understand it, though.

OP- Do you watch Big Bang Theory by any chance? The main character, Sheldon, asks folks to please indicate when they are using sarcasm because he doesn't recognize it either.

Pegasus

Well, we're all about word play here, and my youngest, especially, is rather gifted with sarcasm in his assessment of, well, certain politicians; but with each other, I discourage it.

I think some children get it, and some don't. If I had a child who did not see double meanings, or was easily hurt because s/he was confused by interactions, then yes, I would try to teach my child some tools, stock questions, like this Sheldon you mention.

Pegasus

I do and I was planning on doing that with her. I agree that sarcasm isn't a higher form of humor and I don't want to encourage it, but it seems that it's important to be able to pick it out of conversation. A little more information: my husband is pretty lousy at picking up on non-verbal (and verbal, for that matter), social cues. His mother is really bad at it! I, on the other hand, almost go to the other extreme. So, I can get that she might be wired that way. I was thinking that 10 was the age where this stuff kicked in; I'm glad it sometimes doesn't happen until later.

Thanks for the insight.

Peace,

Rene