Menu

Oscars tonight! Who will win? Who SHOULD win?

We are big into movies here, at least I and my ds21 are!

We've seen more of the 10 Best Pic noms this year than ever before.

I think it'll be:

King's Speech for Best Pic, Colin Firth for Best Actor

Black Swan's Natalie Portman for Best Actress

The chick from The Fighter for Best Supporting Actress

Inception for Best Original Screenplay

Social Network for Best Adapted Screenplay

I WISH it'd be:

Inception for Best Pic

James Franco for Best Actor

127 Hours for Editing (don't know the other noms)

The young chick from True Grit for Best Supporting Actress

I'm ok with the last two above.

What do you think?

The only Oscar nominated one we have seen is The King's Speech. IT WAS DIVINE and COLING FIRTH WAS, as usual, DREAMY!

So, I want him to win.

I don't know anything about the others except my brother mistakenly took his wife to see Black Swan on date night thinking without checking it out. He tought it was a feel good ballet movie with an R rating because of language or something. BOY WAS HE WRONG! They got up and left. I don't know anything about it, but he felt that an X rating would have been appropriate so I'm not inclined to go see it.

To be honest, I usually just check the best and worst dressed photos the next day because I'm a sucker for evening gowns and good tuxes so I find myself needing to gawk. The awards part of it doesn't matter too much to me.

Faith

I really wish Inception would win as well. We even let our dds watch it and they've been acting out "dream sequences" ever since.:tongue_smilie: I haven't seen Black Swan or King's Speech yet but did watch Social Network. It was much better than I thought it would be.

I wish & hope that Inception will win best pic, but I think The King's Speech will actually win that category. :tongue_smilie:

Inception better win best screenplay, though!

I'm kind of peeved because I think Christopher Nolan should have been nominated for director (for Inception) & he's not even on the list. :confused: I felt like doing a mini-boycott of the Oscars because I feel like Inception got overlooked in various ways, but I'm still watching anyway, lol. (I also liked Tom Hardy in Inception in a best supporting actor role. But, he didn't get nominated either.)

I think Colin Firth will win best actor (& I'd be happy w/ that). I really like Geoffrey Rush for best supporting actor. To be honest, though, I haven't seen a lot of the Oscar nominees this year.

Agreeing w/ Jane in NC about Hailee Steinfeld for best supporting actress. She was awesome in the role, esp. considering she's just a kid.

I rarely watch tv (the Oscars & the Olympics are about it for me), so I'm looking forward to hogging the tv tonight. My mom is coming over in a bit so we can watch all the pre-Oscar/outfit stuff. (That's all she cares about because she never sees the movies.)

Looking forward to seeing how Anne Hathaway & James Franco do. I think it's an intersting pick/change & I'm curious what direction they'll be going...

For the first time EVER I've seen all of the movies nominated for Best Picture.

I THINK:

Best Picture: The King's Speech

Best Screenplay: Inception

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network

Best Actor: Colin Firth

Best Actress: Natalie Portman

Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale

Best Supporting Actress: Helena Bonham Carter

I WISH:

Everything above, except I think The Social Network should win for Best Picture. I LOVED The King's Speech, but The Social Network is more socially relevant and the Academy always snubs those for the epic period pieces.

I also would love for Amy Adams to win for Best Supporting Actress for The Fighter. Melissa Leo was great, too, and everyone thought she was going to win for sure before she took out ads in trade magazines supporting her nomination. I just think that The King's Speech has all the momentum and may sneak up and take this one. Plus, she was incredible. For the same reason, I wouldn't be sad if Geoffrey Rush won for TKS, but...Christian Bale was just a bit better.

Oh! AND Jennifer Lawrence was GREAT in Winter's Bone. So was the guy nominated for Best Supporting Actor (can't remember his name) from that movie. Too bad no one saw that film. It was worth every nomination for sure.

Ok, this is hard. Really, really hard.

Edited by QValencia

Oh! AND Jennifer Lawrence was GREAT in Winter's Bone. So was the guy nominated for Best Supporting Actor (can't remember his name) from that movie. Too bad no one saw that film. It was worth every nomination for sure.

LOVED Winter's Bone--one of the best movies at evoking a time and place, and the culture--Much like Social Network, actually--I didn't know the ins and outs of the Harvard life with all it's weird clubs and stuff.

LOVED Winter's Bone--one of the best movies at evoking a time and place, and the culture--Much like Social Network, actually--I didn't know the ins and outs of the Harvard life with all it's weird clubs and stuff.

Nor can I relate to the weird Harvard culture. Being from Missouri, though, I sure have been around my fair share of backwoods country folk. And I don't mean that disparagingly....I just have.

(P.S. None of them were cooking meth in their barns, though! Just wanted to be clear about that....)

I'm a movie buff, too, and the Oscars are the one 'hollywood' thing I ever do. DH rolls his eyes a week ahead when I start reminding him that the TV is mine from 5 on for the evening..and they need to find a way to entertain themselves. It confounds him that I'm so anti-'hollywood', not interested in fashion, yet sit here for hours watching Hollywood flaunt in fancy dress LOL

Here are my wants.

Best Pic: King's Speech

Best Director: it's going to Fincher (I think because it won't get Best Picture)

Best Actor: Colin Firth

Best Actress: Natalie Portman

Best Suporting Actor: Christian Bale

Best Supporting Actress: Going to Melissa Leo or Hailey Steinfeld (I can't decide)

Original Screenplay:Inception

Adapted Screenplay: Social Network

Cinematography: True Grit (or Inception, though it was special effects more than real cinematography

I'm such a huge fan of King's Speech..and will be really disappointed if it doesn't win Picture and Best Actor. I usually never get so wrapped up in a film, but will be for this one LOL

and True Grit were all very enjoyable movies. I would be hard pressed to pick a "best of".

I do like seeing all the women glamed up and the men in their tuxedos. I just wished most of them wouldn't talk. They very rarely have anything interesting to say. Actors are really boring human beings, IMO. Because of their more professional training, British actors are usually better at giving speeches/presenting, so, for that reason, I'll hope The King's Speech does well tonight.

Ds informs me that the money is now on Annette Bening to win, instead of Natalie Portman, largely b/c she not only did a great job, but she also has been nominated 4 times.

We'll see!

Off to make Rice Krispie Treats! (no good reason, just going to serve them for Oscar night--lol)

Ds informs me that the money is now on Annette Bening to win, instead of Natalie Portman, largely b/c she not only did a great job, but she also has been nominated 4 times.

We'll see!

Off to make Rice Krispie Treats! (no good reason, just going to serve them for Oscar night--lol)

Yeah...I'm afraid of that. I do like her, and I enjoyed the movie, but I thought Julianne Moore was better in the movie than Annette Bening, so I'd be disappointed if she were to win.

Looks like your guesses were pretty good. The movies are rarely released on DVD before the Oscars so I rarely see any of them by the time the Oscars come around. It seems like a bad system to me. Anyhow, I have only seen Inception and The Social Network so far. I really liked Inception and The Social Network was ok but not great. I started out really liking the Facebook guy but after what he did to his best friend well, then not so much. After wathcing the Oscars it looks like I would like to see a couple more.