Menu

UGH! I broke my leg!

How does one handle being at the mercy of their children? I fell down the stairs and broke my leg in several places and now I am sofa bound. I never realized how much I need to do in a day until you have to dictate. Add to that all the extras needed for my care. Very frustrating. Anyone have tips on how to handle being in this position?

I broke my leg in high school and went nuts with boredom!! I have no idea how you can do it and be a mom too!!!

Is there a way you can hire someone to come in once a day and help out for an hour or so? I would get depressed watching my mom chores pile up over 6-8 weeks time.

I hope you heal fast and as painless as possible!! :grouphug:

I broke my leg a few years back and it made me a better mom! No kidding! My living room and kitchen were one big room and I just had to watch as my kids made meals with plenty of spills, the dog licking up the mess, dishes not properly cleaned before put in the dish washer, etc. And guess what? I learned that my kids could do a lot of household chores and could be a lot more independent than I thought. PLus I learned to relax - so what if the kitchen wasn't cleaned up to my "expectations", so what if the vacuum cleaner never touched the corners of the carpet, etc. My kids have become more independent and I've learned to relax more!

Myra

I had a cast up to my hip when I was twenty, and remember thinking it was the worst because you basically only have one leg that's functioning (your arms are holding crutches.) I vote for getting some help if you can. Enlist your kids, friends, pay someone if you can. My brothers waited on me hand and foot for six weeks. It was kind of cool, actually. ;) :grouphug:

I have been there and will be there again this spring due to a really bad ankle that needs complete reconstructive work.

My first advice - see if you can rent a wheelchair or borrow one. This saved my life. With crutches you can't even get yourself a glass of water and bring it to the table; you can with a wheelchair.

Second - your kids will step up. Friends of ours marvel at how much my kids can do, I simply tell them - be in a cast for a couple of months, your kids will learn to cook and do laundry too.

Third - get help. Seriously! Say yes when someone offers and tell them what you need! I had a few meals brought by, a few friends offered to drive my kids (I couldn't drive - right foot), a few friends offered to entertain my kids, others just came by to visit with me. Any little thing helps. If you can afford it, hire a cleaning service. My dh insisted on this and it really helped keep the house tidy and then they (my family) could manage with the day to day stuff.

Fourth - make a chore chart for daily chores. It drove me crazy that they didn't naturally clean the kitchen up after meals. They would wait until after dinner and then it seemed like a huge chore. I also had them clean bathrooms every other day. I found doing little bits was much easier then spending all morning Saturday doing chores.

Fifth - when you have to cook, use a barstool to sit on at counter height. Have a child be your assistant to get things out of the fridge or a cupboard. I also found that I would lose my balance getting items from the bottom cupboard so get help with that.

Sixth - set up school by the couch. Have in reach all TE, white board, markers etc, read aloud books. We actually got a lot of school work done in those 8 weeks. You really can't do much else, so you might as well stay up to date on that.

Seventh - keep your leg elevated, take care of yourself. I managed to shower/bathe every two - three days. I did my hair and make-up and got dressed daily. This made a difference for me.

Eighth - make really detailed grocery lists; take pictures of the items you prefer (if you are picky). Somehow DH never paid attention to any of the brands I like or the fat/salt content in items. Plan super simple menus - sandwiches, frozen lasagna, grilled items, etc.. Unless your Dh can cook, you will still have to help with this and having the correct ingredients makes a big difference.

That is probably enough - I hope you can recover quickly and that you get some help.

:grouphug: That stinks! I like some of the suggestions you've already gotten - especially the chore chart and outside help if you can get it. My dh and ds have no idea how much gets done every day here, and if I were unable to do it they literally would not know where to start. A chore chart or daily 'to do' list would give them something to work from.

I have been there and will be there again this spring due to a really bad ankle that needs complete reconstructive work.:grouphug:

My first advice - see if you can rent a wheelchair or borrow one. This saved my life. With crutches you can't even get yourself a glass of water and bring it to the table; you can with a wheelchair.

Second - your kids will step up. Friends of ours marvel at how much my kids can do, I simply tell them - be in a cast for a couple of months, your kids will learn to cook and do laundry too.

Third - get help. Seriously! Say yes when someone offers and tell them what you need! I had a few meals brought by, a few friends offered to drive my kids (I couldn't drive - right foot), a few friends offered to entertain my kids, others just came by to visit with me. Any little thing helps. If you can afford it, hire a cleaning service. My dh insisted on this and it really helped keep the house tidy and then they (my family) could manage with the day to day stuff.

Fourth - make a chore chart for daily chores. It drove me crazy that they didn't naturally clean the kitchen up after meals. They would wait until after dinner and then it seemed like a huge chore. I also had them clean bathrooms every other day. I found doing little bits was much easier then spending all morning Saturday doing chores.

Fifth - when you have to cook, use a barstool to sit on at counter height. Have a child be your assistant to get things out of the fridge or a cupboard. I also found that I would lose my balance getting items from the bottom cupboard so get help with that.

Sixth - set up school by the couch. Have in reach all TE, white board, markers etc, read aloud books. We actually got a lot of school work done in those 8 weeks. You really can't do much else, so you might as well stay up to date on that.

Seventh - keep your leg elevated, take care of yourself. I managed to shower/bathe every two - three days. I did my hair and make-up and got dressed daily. This made a difference for me.

Eighth - make really detailed grocery lists; take pictures of the items you prefer (if you are picky). Somehow DH never paid attention to any of the brands I like or the fat/salt content in items. Plan super simple menus - sandwiches, frozen lasagna, grilled items, etc.. Unless your Dh can cook, you will still have to help with this and having the correct ingredients makes a big difference.

That is probably enough - I hope you can recover quickly and that you get some help.

Great advice and I will try to use it all.

My kids are older, 18 and 14 and a 6yr old, so I am thankful I have no little ones that need constant care. They can pretty much care for themselves. 14 yr old made me breakfast and 18 yr old is tending to what the 6 yr old needs. DH is great, trying to stay cheerful in all the extras he needs to do.

Again, thanks for all the hugs everyone and all the advice, I am going to try and do all that was said.

Now I will get to really use my Kindle I got for Christmas. I felt guilty when I bought a book for it (why, I don't know, DH bought it for me knowing I will need books), but now I won't feel so bad. I also have a few Games Magazines I bought but never had time doing. And some knitting projects I started and had no time to finish...these will finally get done. I am trying to look for the plus side of bed rest.

My DH still calls me Nascar Mama because when I was on 17 weeks of pregnancy bedrest we didn't have cable and the only thing that was halfway interesting on tv to me was watching cars crash at Nascar races. I have to admit that an occasional Nascar race is still fun to watch now and since I work at a place where Carl Edwards shops regularly at least I know who he is. :)

So sorry. I know how hard it is. You have to let people help you. And I have found that trying to be "brave" and do stuff anyway usually only gets you hurt worse. Be careful. Don't compromise your helalth and get better. But be patient. I can say this since I have been disabled for 8 months and only just Friday, had surgery. (Feb 25) I hope to be back on the job in 6-8 weeks, but I will take it slow and not risk a set back. Trust.