Menu

X/P Suggestions for a CD based interactive math curriculum.

I'm looking for a math curriculum (similar to TT) for my soon to be 6th grader that is offered on either CD or video. I'm not opposed to teaching math but my DD loves working on the computer, and is also intrigued by watching a lesson on video.

(Should I be offended? ):D

She would like to try something similar to TT but I'm a little leery of that since I've read on previous threads that it simply doesn't have the depth that other math programs offer.

For all of you using TT please don't be angry with me... I'm not bashing TT, I'm simply parroting what I've read on previous threads and searching for a curriculum that will be challenging, provide depth and be offered on computer or video.

We've done CLE in the past (which both of us loved) so if I can't find anything CLE will be my plan B.

Professor B?

but I am using the Professor B level 3 CD with ds 11, who is in 5th grade this year. The level 3 CD covers 6-8th grade math and all I can say is that Professor B knocks my socks off :tongue_smilie:

If you want a more substantive critique of this program, I'll check back later and try to say something more profound :001_smile:

Hmm . . . First, I'd suggest that you check out the sample lessons on his website (there's a link in my signature line). The sample lessons will give you an idea what the CDs are like.

Second, here's a link to a recent thread about the program.

One of the things that continually impresses me is the depth of this program - which is one of the features you are seeking. Today, ds 11 learned how to invert and multiply when dividing fractions. Technically, he had already learned this (we use LoF for review, and the topic came up in an earlier LoF lesson) but Professor B explained why this works, using a simple algebraic equation. I'm no math whiz, but I took advanced Algebra in HS, and statistics in graduate school, and I can tell you that I have never heard / read such a cogent explanation of why this works.

The program is very solid in terms of mathematical theory; it is also a mastery approach. Kids learn each concept to mastery before moving on, although there are also opportunities for review. It's also self paced, and the assignments are flexible. The downside to this is that I can't easily schedule how many pages of math my dc will complete within a given period of time - ds 8 needs relatively little practice to master a concept so he does fewer problems; ds 11 needs lots of practice, so he often does all of the practice examples for a given concept. OTOH, I feel confident in my ability to individualize this program for each child's learning style and pace.

The CDs are meant to be viewed by a parent and child together, but a 6th grader could do them independently, with supervision, IMO. They are engaging, challenging and fun.

The workbooks are "no frills" but my dc don't seem to mind this.

The program doesn't cover geometry or measurement; we use the Key to series for that; I also use LoF for a fun review. Both of these programs could be completed independently by a 6th grader.

Let me know if you have other questions and I will try to answer them :001_smile:

Laurie, would Professor B make sense for a student who hadn't done previous levels? My son is finishing 6th grade math this year, so I'm looking for pre-algebra, which I guess would be strengthening the necessary skills and introducing some basic algebra concepts.

Not sure what is the best transition program prior to algebra.

Laurie, would Professor B make sense for a student who hadn't done previous levels? My son is finishing 6th grade math this year, so I'm looking for pre-algebra, which I guess would be strengthening the necessary skills and introducing some basic algebra concepts.

Not sure what is the best transition program prior to algebra.

Hi Trish,

It's hard to make an apples to apples comparison, because math programs approach concepts using different methods, and in a different sequence.

In your situation, I'd consider two options; Life of Fred Pre-Algebra (fun and entertaining, self directed, and written by a Math professor) and / or enrolling in Professor B's online subscription to be sure your ds is proficient in the foundations of his approach. If you signed up for the level 2 subscription, you could do a quick review of anything your ds hasn't previously covered, and then move on to level 3, using the CDs or a level 3 subscription.

The online subscription costs $20 a month, but if you have more than one dc, or plan to spend more than a year using it, the CDs are more economical. The level 3 program covers fractions, decimals, percentages and the metric system. Your dc should have his multiplication facts memorized, and understand prime factorization to begin level 3.

HTH - Let me know if you have other questions :001_smile:

;)

Just for your researching...

Saxon with D.I.V.E dvds (You can buy the set anywhere - but check out THIS LINK for demos of the dvds)

BJU - online - basically dvds with a text and workbook to go along

Abeka - same as BJU - traditional and solid - dvd based

MUS - good for mastery of topics but the odd scope and sequence may not work for you