Menu

Help--Moving to NH

Guest Gradschoolwidow

Guest Gradschoolwidow

We have an opportunity to move to NH with a new job opportunity in Lebanon area. We're excited about this opportunity; we love NH. Does anyone know of a good realtor in this area? Any advice on nice places to live, home school co-ops, etc. Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA! :auto:

Welcome to the Upper Valley!!!! I don't know about realtors but google upper valley rentals if you are looking for a rental. There is a co-op that I have not attended but it seems pretty big and inclusive, google upper valley homeschool co-op. As for where to live Hanover is probably the nicest but it is also expensive and a college town, Lebanon proper is ok but most people prefer to live in West Lebanon. If you are open to longer drives Grantham/Eastman area is really nice. All the shopping is in West Lebanon for the most part except for the food co-op which is on the main road between Lebanon and Hanover...feel free to pm me with more questions.

For the letter of intent, you can notify your local school district or any one of a number of different "participating agencies" if you'd rather work with a private or Christian school. You don't have to live geographically near the participating agency, and Tri-City Christian in Dover is popular among many because of their privacy policies.

I don't know the Lebanon area, but welcome to the state!

Welcome to NH! There is beautiful country all around Lebanon both in Vermont and NH. Keep in mind when looking for a place to live that NH has no income tax. I love the town of Plainfield. Lyme is beautiful too. Can't beat Hanover for high school. One of the best in the state probably due to all the doctors kids and Darmouth professors kids going there. All are in NH. Across in Vermont Quechee and Norwich are both beautiful but probably a bit pricy but other towns around them are gorgeous. The biggest bang for your buck would probably be in the Claremont area. Not a bad place to live if you plan on homeschooling but skip it if you ever plan on using public school. West Lebanon is the shopping hub for the Lebanon area and Claremont is for areas south. If you want to come closer to Concord, I belong to an awesome homeschool coop there. Wish I could help you with a realtor but I haven't lived in the area for awhile.

To homeschool in NH you have to submit a letter of intent to your local school or a private school of your choice. You can either do a standardized test like Iowa annually or submit a portfolio for review to a teacher of you choice who signs off on it for the school you are answering to. Can't help you with Vermonts requirements.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Awww. Now you're making me miss the Upper Valley! I lived on the VT side of the river but really everything you want shopping wise is in the West Leb. area. No income tax in NH and there is in VT - something to keep in mind for sure.

Hanover is a very nice place to live, followed by West Leb and then Lebanon. Further out Plainfield, Enfield, Cornish, etc. I think it really depends on what you're looking for - you can be near everything or pretty far out.