Menu

Jensen's Grammar vs R&S 7

wyomom

We have used R&S Grammar 3-6 with my oldest dd. She will be in 7th grade next year and although, I am happy with R&S and believe it has given her a good foundation in Grammar, she is bored to tears with it at this point and thinks it is too repetitive every year. She is begging me to let her quit grammar and I would like to see her take at least two more years of it. I personally think we could go forward with R&S 7 and then finish up with 8, but since she is developing such a bad attitude towards it, I started considering alternatives. I noticed on the Timberdoodle website, they highly recommend Jensen's grammar for 7-12 grades. The book is reproduceable, and only costs about 30.00. I could use this with my other 3 younger dc once they get to this point too. I usually have good experiences with Timberdoodle recommended curriculum so I was considering this as an alternative to ease the tension next year over this subject.

Has anyone used or seen the Jensen grammar book? Any thoughts or opinions on using this in 7th grade and beyond? My dd does have a pretty good foundation on grammar since she has done R&S since 3rd grade and of course now she is absolutely certain she knows it ALL. Of course since she hit 12 and is now almost 13 she is definately becoming INCREASINGLY more intelligent than anyone else in the house in her opinion. LOL! Funny how that happens in Jr. High. ;) I remember.

Any thoughts, advice or recommendations would be a huge help.

Thanks! Julie

We made exactly this switch for exactly the same reason with my daughter this year. R&S was just getting to be too much, but I wasn't ready to ditch grammar altogether. The only thing she struggled with was some of the terminology was different between programs. We ended up leaving Jensen's halfway through the year, not because we didn't like it, but because we switched writing programs to CW and it has grammar integrated.

We are using Jensen's Grammar this year with my 7th ds and I am very happy with what he has learned. The only level of R&S I have used is grade 2, so I don't know about the upper levels. I have to say that Jensen's really makes your child think and requires quite a bit out of them.

If you wanted you could probably spread this book out over her 7th & 8th grade years and it would be fairly complete. You can go to Rainbow Resource to see sample pages I believe.

I had never heard anything about Jensen's until I saw the blurb about it at Timberdoodle so it is nice to see other people have used this with success. I will go check out Rainbow Resources website for examples right now.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Julie