Menu

Help me with this please!!

thowell

Dd10 can write great narrations. If you are looking for a word by word rewrite!!! She has an incredible memory (learned her times tables in 1 week), and remembers almost every detail. However, when I ask her to try and summarize the reading, she bombs. She can not pull out only the important details. She says to her they are all important. lol She is a terrific creative writer if you just let her go. Of course we have alot of grammatical work to do, but where should I go on writing? She has been outlining our pastor's sermons every Sunday and is doing great with this also. Any suggestions on how to direct her or what I could use?

Have you tried doing it for her?

Do you ever read to her? Read her a book that it tougher than what she normally reads to herself, and do it little by little. Each time you start, say, "OK, here's what has happened so far, and here is the last thing that happened." Then read the next passage. After you have done those summaries a few times, I'll bet she will get the idea.

To start, I suggest to mine that a summary is only what you can tell someone in an elevator from one floor to the next. So...maybe it all seems interesting/important/whatever, but if you only had 10-15 seconds or 1-2 sentences, what would you tell them?

If that's shorter than you'd like, then tell them the person was so interested, they stayed on the elevator for an extra stop to hear another sentence or two.

I think giving them a practical application of limited time can help w/ this need to retell *everything.* :001_smile:

(But mine do still struggle w/ this. A lot. So really...don't listen to me.):lol: