Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A home for their hearts

How long should it take an allergic reaction to amoxicillin to clear?

My ds9months has a sinus infection and was prescribed amoxicillin after giving him 2 doses he broke out in hives yesterday. The doc prescribed him something else but he still has hives. Would this be a new reaction to the new drug or would there still be some amoxicillion in his system after 24 hours?

DH reacted to a med he was taking and the dr said it could take up to 2 weeks for it to fully clear his system and for the hives to go away. I want to say that it took a good week for the hives to leave. I reacted to ibuprofen and it took 3-4 days for the hives to clear up. It's not instantaneous, unfortunately.

When my DD got hives from ceclor she continued to have outbreaks for almost three weeks. Anytime something would irritate her skin, like clothing tags, hives would develop. I was told this was normal.

An allergic reaction can continue for 4-6 weeks. Generally you will need to stay continually on antihistamines the first 3-5 days, after which you can expect to dose with an antihistamine as symptoms (hives, whatever) crop up. Over time the reactions will decrease in frequency.

An allergic reaction can continue for 4-6 weeks. Generally you will need to stay continually on antihistamines the first 3-5 days, after which you can expect to dose with an antihistamine as symptoms (hives, whatever) crop up. Over time the reactions will decrease in frequency.

Hmm my ped didn't say anything about giving him antihistamines, guess I'll need to call and ask. It would probably help, not only is he sick now he is probably itchy all over! Poor baby he's just miserable!

When my DS5 was 14 mos he had the amoxycillin rash. It took about 10 days for it to clear up. It got worse for about 2 days after he stopped taking the antibiotic. I'm pretty sure the dr had us give him benadryl.

Christine

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin