Menu

Still have no clue on a foreign language help!!

I know I should be doing something, but I have no idea what. I have a 9, 7, and 5 yr old I'm homeschooling. I've looked at every Latin program out there and I think they all look good. I've also looked at Hey Andrew and I liked the looks of it. I want to do one or the other (Latin or Greek) but I don't know which and I don't know what program to pick. I need something with decent review and not alot of writing. What's normal??? I see people who are starting with one latin program then after a few years they go to another one to advance but how did they figure out that, how do you kow where to begin and where to end and when to end. Do I do this for a few years now then move to something more common like Spanish in high school...I just don't get it and I don't know which way to go.

Thank you, I'm frustrated.

Alison

Learning Latin can help in a lot of ways not just learning a different language. A lot of our words come from latin. Plus, a lot of the romance languages are similar to Latin. SWB and Plaid Dad both have a section in their books about the benefits of learning Latin. As far as curriculum goes we started with Prima Latina and went to their next level- Latin Christina. Prima Latina was pretty easy to use. Mostly memorization. Latin Christina is more involved on both the teacher's and student's part. They have videos and cds to use. My kids look as it as learning a secret language that (they think) few people know. If you do a search for Latin threads I'm sure you'll come up with lots of recommendations for different latin programs out there.

Alison,

First off don't be frustrated. It is a new adventure for not just your children but you as well. Latin can be scary if you let it be scary. Yes it is hard, but it is totally doable. As the previous poster said, it can serve many purposes. T

he first thing I did was try to figure out what goals I wanted to reach in Latin. For us, reading a classic work in Latin would be fascinating and wonderful. That is our goal. We picked a curriculum that would help us reach that goal. We began with Minimus, then went to Latina Christiana but that was too dry for us. Next we found Latin Prep by Galore Park and that has been pure success. We plan on finishing the 3 levels of Prep and then the 3rd book of So You Really Want to Learn Latin. According to the publisher this should leave us off at reading a classic. They cover grammar and translations of English to Latin and Latin to English very early on. They have small stories in Latin that have to be read, interpreted and analyzed. We are more than half way through book 2 and love it.

Fortunately, there are many programs (yippee) so you find what works for you. Research each program and then ask on here who has used it, why they loved or hated it and all its other benefits. Paula's Archives has an extensive list.

HTHs,

Patricia

Hey Alison,

We are in the same boat. My dc are 9,7, and 5. I've looked at Greek as well but Latin is going to be the bomb this summer! It is such a great basis for any romance language or medical or law career, helps with spelling, etc.

If you decide to do some Latin summer school we can keep eachother accountable:D.

I'm planning on Prima Latina to start with.

Soph