Menu

How to handle trouble subjects?

I am feeling a bit inadequate to be my ds13's 8th grade teacher in some subjects. In history and literature (the humanities) I feel pretty confident and like I can do a good job supporting his learning. In Algebra, I feel fairly good too because if I can't figure it out (which hasn't actually happened yet this year) then there is always Google (there are some really good sites out there that explain specific math concepts) and my very mathy dh. Handwriting is a remedial subject for him and I can handle that. It is grammar, logic and Latin that are giving me trouble.

In Grammar, he is using Analytical grammar. He gets 9/10 of it and is actually doing reinforcement exercises only at this point. It's just that I see he is making some of the same mistakes that 1/10 of the time. Is it ok for me let that slide or should I sit down and really figure out predicate-adjectives (one of the things he tends to miss)? Yes, I'm asking this out of laziness because I just want to let it slide.

I stopped teaching formal logic because he ran into problems that I couldn't teach him unless I sat down with the book and slogged through it. We've tabled formal logic for now.

He gets 7/10 of Latin on his own. He basically understands it but doesn't get all the details. Is it ok to just let him get a B minus in his class and call it good?

I'm tired (and poor). I need to know if at this level it's ok to let things be "good enough" or if I need to go the distance and find a tutor in logic, grammar and/or Latin. Or if I should try and figure things out myself and help him. I am intelligent. I should be able to do this. But I'm not an expert and of course would not become an expert but would just be figuring out enough to help him out. (BTW - letting it slide, hiring an expert or figuring things out are my options. Public school is not something I want to be an option for more reasons than I want to get into in this post.)

My oldest is only 10, but if I was in your shoes (and I was planning to enroll him in Running Start for 11th grade) I think I would be inclined to keep limping along and doing the best I/we could until then. If you're not planning to do RS and especially if he wants to get into a more exclusive college, maybe try trading with someone? If you know of a homeschooling family who is strong in those areas, maybe they could tutor him in exchange for him tutoring their kids in math, doing work around the house, etc.

I would let it be "good enough". I don't think grammar and Latin are that important, although nice, though logic would be helpful in life. Just do what you can, and consider letting him teach himself subjects he's particularly motivated in, like electronics (your boy is really into computers, right?). Save your money.:)

Well, for Latin, I am really enjoying Latin Alive with the DVDs. She explains things really well, it allowed me not to have to buy the CD or DVD for LfC and I am learning a lot. It is more than a book, but a lot less than a tutor and you could reuse it with your daughter and then sell the DVDs and teacher's manual.

I have not studied up to that level of grammar or math yet, sorry!

:grouphug:

Of the three, I think that really 'getting' the grammar is the most critical. I would make up a few practice sentences every day or two and go through them together until he is really solid. I'd probably include some with direct objects, some with predicate nominatives, and some with predicate adjectives at first. Then I would start through in some appositive adjectives, 'regular' adjectives, miscellaneous adverbs, and some prepositional phrases functioning as adverbs and some functioning as adjectives. That way he would get the feel of these in context.

The logic, I think, can wait. There is a 'click' that goes with formal logic, and it doesn't always set in so early, at least according to Piaget.

For Latin, as long as he can do high school level foreign language starting by ninth grade, technically you're find. I used LC1 with DVD's in 8th grade and called it good. That probably makes me a slacker mom. Oh well.

In Grammar, he is using Analytical grammar. He gets 9/10 of it and is actually doing reinforcement exercises only at this point. It's just that I see he is making some of the same mistakes that 1/10 of the time. Is it ok for me let that slide or should I sit down and really figure out predicate-adjectives (one of the things he tends to miss)? Yes, I'm asking this out of laziness because I just want to let it slide.

What do you mean by making mistakes? Is he making mistakes in identifying some grammatical construction - or is he using the grammar incorrectly when writing and speaking?

If it is the former, I would not give a hoot. If it is the latter, I would make sure that his writing and speech are grammatically correct. But I have not the foggiest idea what a "predicate-adjective" is although I am pretty certain that I am using whatever-it-is correctly. To me, that's all grammar is needed for.

What do you mean by making mistakes? Is he making mistakes in identifying some grammatical construction - or is he using the grammar incorrectly when writing and speaking?

If it is the former, I would not give a hoot. If it is the latter, I would make sure that his writing and speech are grammatically correct. But I have not the foggiest idea what a "predicate-adjective" is although I am pretty certain that I am using whatever-it-is correctly. To me, that's all grammar is needed for.

Amen.

Can you wok ahead of him? That's what I have to do in Latin & History/Lit. I feel SO much more comfortable teaching if I've gone through all the material (textbook, workbook pages, online games, videos & resources) myself. I try to work about 3 weeks ahead of him so that I not only can help with what he's currently working on, but I also have some idea of where we're going, which helps me emphasize what's important when I'm teaching.

For your math woes, check out http://www.khanacademy.org

For grammar, I would consider switching to an easier program (a worktext like Exercises in English has been WONDERFUL for us). Or try a completely different approach. We're going to stick with EIE next year but I want to try a program called Caught'ya: Grammar with a Giggle next year for 5th. There are a few books in this series that can be used all the way through highschool. I'm not one to stress over English grammar so this will be a fun learning experience for us. Maybe try something like that (rather than just letting it slide, which would be my second option for grammar! ;))

Anyway, just throwing out some ideas for you!!! HTH Some!! :)

Edited by rootsnwings

100% Agreed!

I'm feeling a bit under the weather so I'm going to do one general response to everything said so far.

He wants to do Latin as his high school foreign language. It has always been really difficult for him but he really wants to do it. Since 90% of what is does is always easy for him, I think that's great. He's using Galore Park's Latin Prep. I'll look at some of these supplementary things that people have mentioned. I think we'll keep plugging but I won't push it hard and fast. I think we have some time to play with.

Maybe we'll try logic again next year. Maybe I can start to work ahead during the summer.

Grammar - I think I'll use some of these links etc. to try and plug his holes. He really is doing well with parsing (identifying parts of speech) and diagramming most sentences. It is just a few constructions that he has difficult with over and over again. He uses grammar correctly in writing. He is a good writer.

Thank you for all the input. It has helped me to see things more clearly.