Menu

I've decided to skip spelling.....and you know what?

I feel great! My ds doesn't have trouble with spelling as far as I can tell, and when I had him on a spelling curriculum last fall, he would study for the weekly test and then promptly forget what he studied. Then, I looked at my own spelling skills and realized that I don't use "rules" to spell, I've just learned the words over time and have memorized (alot!) of them....so..........here's a mom who is breathing a sigh of relief:)

We have done Sequential Spelling and Spelling Workout and tried Spelling Power. I honestly don't know if they have learned how to spell thru these or by the amount of reading they do, the online games they play and various activities like Scrabble etc. I started my boys playing Scrabble when they were little and helped them and my parents(both retired education professionals) are amazed how well they spell. Plus it helps with vocabulary. So, congratulations on your decision. I find making a decision and worrying about if it is the right choice is one of the things about being a homeschool mom that I wish I didn't do.

Love your boat...do you/husband work on your boat? I have always wanted to go to Alaska. What an incredible way to teach your kids!!! I imagine the pace is different to that on being onland and your stress level drops!

boondoggle because it is. My dh is a geologist and we've used the boat to get to some of his work areas, and will do that again this season. It's worked out because I used to navigate ships professionally a LONG time ago, so I'm completely comfortable skippering this boat. However, a good part of our time is just poking around. It's great for the kids - my 9 yo ds is in heaven fishing and driving the dinghy around. And the last two years we had so many whales - I mean so many whales that when we returned to CA in the fall, we felt like we were in a dead zone. Try to get up some there some time. I've told people that Glacier Bay is a must do....We are still in CA and fly up to the boat tomorrow and start uncovering it, and I'm so stressed out packing (and my 4 yo dd unpacks everything) that I have to just sit - hence my posts. I'll be posting periodically when we get internet.....Thanks for the comments!

YIPPEE!!! Welcome to the club!

I tried to use one but really I don't see the point. DS 12 is a natural speller like myself. DS9 is a terrible speller like his father. DS 6 is pretty good for his age. I think it is just genes. DH learned on a need to know basis. We are also playing Scrabble type games more often and we have seen a HUGE improvement. (Pirate Scrabble is our favorite.) DS is competitive and he just doesn't want to have his words stolen! :D

YIPPEE!!! Welcome to the club!

I tried to use one but really I don't see the point. DS 12 is a natural speller like myself. DS9 is a terrible speller like his father. DS 6 is pretty good for his age. I think it is just genes. DH learned on a need to know basis. We are also playing Scrabble type games more often and we have seen a HUGE improvement. (Pirate Scrabble is our favorite.) DS is competitive and he just doesn't want to have his words stolen! :D

Pirate Scrabble? What is this? My ds8 loves Pirates! Can you tell me more about this?

I feel great! My ds doesn't have trouble with spelling as far as I can tell, and when I had him on a spelling curriculum last fall, he would study for the weekly test and then promptly forget what he studied. Then, I looked at my own spelling skills and realized that I don't use "rules" to spell, I've just learned the words over time and have memorized (alot!) of them....so..........here's a mom who is breathing a sigh of relief:)

I won't report you to the homeschooling police if you don't report me. I dropped spelling a couple years ago for the exact same reasons! :001_smile:

I think you've given me the courage to drop SWO with my dd11 next year! She has so much on her academic plate already and is a natural speller that I think I can drop SWO H and she'll be okay! With all the other reading and writing she'll be doing...I think spelling will take care of itself. Well, one thing off my mind! Thanks!