Menu

VP Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation ?

Roxy Roller

I have looked at the samples for this, and from what I see, the questions asked are mainly comprehension questions. Is this true? Are there 'thinking' questions as well? I am wanting something that I can adapt for use with my 4th Graders, 5th Grader and 7th Grader next year(the 1st Grader will tag along as well). Or do I need to get Omnibus II for use with my 7th Grader. I honestly think it would be over her head, but I am not sure that the VP 4th Grade program would be enough.

Any thoughts?

I have looked at the samples for this, and from what I see, the questions asked are mainly comprehension questions. Is this true? Are there 'thinking' questions as well? I am wanting something that I can adapt for use with my 4th Graders, 5th Grader and 7th Grader next year(the 1st Grader will tag along as well). Or do I need to get Omnibus II for use with my 7th Grader. I honestly think it would be over her head, but I am not sure that the VP 4th Grade program would be enough.

Any thoughts?

I'm using VP and I would suggest going here. When you get there put in the students and it will give you the options for them. You will have to put in your address or abbreviate if you want (something just has to be in that field), then press [Review Order Details]. It will bring up EXACTLY what VP has "put together" for that grade level. They divide the lower history into 2 sections and assign different readings for them. This is under the scholars plans, but you don't have to purchase the scholars to read the books themselves. It may give you an idea of what they will expect from them reading wise. I hope all that makes sense. I wish I could tell you more. We are using the first year Old Testament and Ancient Egypt for just 2nd grade and my little ones, but I have been reading the upper level books.

I noticed you are using TOG Y1, may I ask why the change. I find that I keep looking at TOG, but I always to stay with VP. I have ordered "All through the Ages" by Christine Miller to help me sort out and add books. TOG always looks nice because the books are all listed out for you. I have to go we are walking out the door...I'll check back later. :auto:

Edited by Honey Bee
fixed link

Any thoughts?

I'm using MARR with 7th, 5th and 2nd graders. I add more literature and WTM style writing for the 7th. We didn't feel he was ready for Omnibus last fall either, more due to puberty induced brain fog than anything.

Each elementary history kit from VP is meant to teach grades 2-6. Their website doesn't reflect that very well though. It's in their fourth grade section because that's where you'd be ready for it if you started your oldest on their plan from the beginning. I've found it pretty easy to tone their history down for a first grader, and up a notch for my seventh grader.

The worksheets are more comprehension based, but some of the questions do make them find the connections themselves. All the information needed to answer them are on the cards, and the extra readings give the bigger picture. For the older kids the questions could be essay starters, rather than having them just answer with a couple sentences.

Some writing assignments are included in the TM, like newspaper articles and picture study responses. Those are great for using with a wide spread. We did one last week. My 2nd grader managed to get two basic narration sentences written with my help, my 5th grader summarized the story, and the oldest wrote a more detailed explanation of people's actions, motives, and such. The latter paper couldn't have been done with just the card; he needed the extra readings to flesh that one out more.

Any thoughts?

We've completed about 2/3 VP's MARR using the Scholars lesson plans. (BTW...I have zero experience teaching a 7th grader so keep that in mind. ;)) The questions don't require a lot of thought. They're simply comprehension questions that are appropriate for my 4th grader. However, I do think that you could add to the program to make it work for your 7th grader. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and give you some suggestions on how to adapt it.

Sorry that I'm not more help but I wanted to give you a bump! :)

ETA: I didn't realize that SilverMoon posted while I was typing. I didn't mean to imply that anyone who posted before me didn't have any experience. It's been a long day. No more posting for me!

Edited by tennismomkelly

I'm using MARR with 7th, 5th and 2nd graders. I add more literature and WTM style writing for the 7th. We didn't feel he was ready for Omnibus last fall either, more due to puberty induced brain fog than anything.

Each elementary history kit from VP is meant to teach grades 2-6. Their website doesn't reflect that very well though. It's in their fourth grade section because that's where you'd be ready for it if you started your oldest on their plan from the beginning. I've found it pretty easy to tone their history down for a first grader, and up a notch for my seventh grader.

The worksheets are more comprehension based, but some of the questions do make them find the connections themselves. All the information needed to answer them are on the cards, and the extra readings give the bigger picture. For the older kids the questions could be essay starters, rather than having them just answer with a couple sentences.

Some writing assignments are included in the TM, like newspaper articles and picture study responses. Those are great for using with a wide spread. We did one last week. My 2nd grader managed to get two basic narration sentences written with my help, my 5th grader summarized the story, and the oldest wrote a more detailed explanation of people's actions, motives, and such. The latter paper couldn't have been done with just the card; he needed the extra readings to flesh that one out more.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you! I am looking for something that can be adapted for my older child without too much trouble. Sounds like I need to seriously look at this. Do you add in outlining ala WTM? If so, which spine do you use? I would love to know what else I need to do to add to MARR to make it more challenging.

I'm using VP and I would suggest going here. When you get there put in the students and it will give you the options for them. You will have to put in your address or abbreviate if you want (something just has to be in that field), then press [Review Order Details]. It will bring up EXACTLY what VP has "put together" for that grade level. They divide the lower history into 2 sections and assign different readings for them. This is under the scholars plans, but you don't have to purchase the scholars to read the books themselves. It may give you an idea of what they will expect from them reading wise. I hope all that makes sense. I wish I could tell you more. We are using the first year Old Testament and Ancient Egypt for just 2nd grade and my little ones, but I have been reading the upper level books.

I noticed you are using TOG Y1, may I ask why the change. I find that I keep looking at TOG, but I always to stay with VP. I have ordered "All through the Ages" by Christine Miller to help me sort out and add books. TOG always looks nice because the books are all listed out for you. I have to go we are walking out the door...I'll check back later. :auto:

Thank you for the link! It does help to see how they divide the two levels up.

As for TOG, we have loved this year, but I am feeling like I need to try something different. After seeing the dialectic and rhetoric levels of TOG, which by the way, are amazing, I am feeling like my children are probably not going to be going in that direction. All my children seem to be more math/science inclined, and I don't think we will be spending the time that will be required to do TOG justice at those levels. The other reason is that we are Canadian, and years 3 and 4 will probably have to be 'tweaked to death' to have some Canadian content. I really don't feel that I can shell out the money for TOG in those years that I will have to do so much to what is already there.

Let me know if you have any more questions. It is late here and I am probably not making much sense.

Do you add in outlining ala WTM? If so, which spine do you use? I would love to know what else I need to do to add to MARR to make it more challenging.

I do. If you're already familiar with WTM style writing it's simple to slip it in. Streams of Civilization, Cultural Atlas for Young People, Famous Men and 100 Most Important Events in Christian History are all good outlining resources. We also use a KHE for lists of facts. All of those are scheduled on the cards for you.

For harder literature I looked at the Omnibus II books and/or WTM's lists for that time period. If you get VP's snail mail catalog the literature recommendations have numbers to line them up with the cards.

If you have anymore specific questions, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.

I do. If you're already familiar with WTM style writing it's simple to slip it in. Streams of Civilization, Cultural Atlas for Young People, Famous Men and 100 Most Important Events in Christian History are all good outlining resources. We also use a KHE for lists of facts. All of those are scheduled on the cards for you.

For harder literature I looked at the Omnibus II books and/or WTM's lists for that time period. If you get VP's snail mail catalog the literature recommendations have numbers to line them up with the cards.

If you have anymore specific questions, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.

Thank you, SilverMoon! I was planning on the outlining, and it is good to know that all of those resources will work. I had forgotten about the 'list of facts'. I have the Illustrated KF, so I will add that in. I don't think my DD will be ready for the Omni II lit, but I have other resources I can pull from for lit.

Roxy, have you looked at the online self-paced MARR class? I know that would get expensive with several kids, but if you can swing it it's AMAZING. It fleshes out the stories and makes all kinds of connections. It's WAY better than anything I did myself. And it has games, fun graphics, does the memory songs, etc. It is a huge, huge hit here. And no, I wouldn't try Omnibus when you haven't done MARR (or the equivalent) yet. There are plenty of upper level reading options in the MARR section of the catalog to keep your rising 7th grader reading. You can also add books from the WTM 6th or 7th gr recs for history and lit remember. You'll have no trouble keeping her in books.

Thank you for the link! It does help to see how they divide the two levels up.

As for TOG, we have loved this year, but I am feeling like I need to try something different. After seeing the dialectic and rhetoric levels of TOG, which by the way, are amazing, I am feeling like my children are probably not going to be going in that direction. All my children seem to be more math/science inclined, and I don't think we will be spending the time that will be required to do TOG justice at those levels. The other reason is that we are Canadian, and years 3 and 4 will probably have to be 'tweaked to death' to have some Canadian content. I really don't feel that I can shell out the money for TOG in those years that I will have to do so much to what is already there.

Let me know if you have any more questions. It is late here and I am probably not making much sense.

Thanks for answering my questions! I gotcha now. I've come more close this year than ever to getting TOG, but I just keep holding off because I like VP's products so well. I think you will enjoy them. And "Moon" did a much better job of answering your questions than I did. They really are basically comp questions. The other worksheets in the week sometimes make more connections and give detailed readings. There is something for all kids, especially 2nd-6th. We also sampled the VP online history class, and it really well put together and has readings for younger and older students. I would second Elizabeth's rec on that too. If you get on their email list, you'll know when they offer a 30-day trial. Last one they did was in the fall. I'm glad the link helped too. Thanks again. :001_smile: