Menu

Has anyone asked a Dr. to write prescriptions a certain way to save money?

For example: 90 Lovastatin 40 mg pills vary from $120 - $165 depending on where you buy them.

180 Lovastatin 20 mg pills would cost me $20 because they are on the generic list at Target (90 for $10, so 180 for $20).

Obviously this would be a huge savings.

Are doctors open to doing things like this?

Yes, I have asked and docs have written them like I requested. In my experience many docs don't know the price of drugs, and they write what is easiest for patients (one pill to swallow vs two). We have asked for 90 day supplies to use for mail order services over 30 day supplies as well without any problem.

I agree. Most doctors will gladly write it. Quite often it is CHEAPER for 1 of the 40mg vs. 2 of the 20mg as often the cost per pill is almost the same no matter what the dose. In the case of your med though it isn't but the doctor might not know that.

Certainly ask.

I worked at a Dr's office for awhile and, often, people would find this out after they had filled one month of a prescription that was written to have refills. That office would re write the prescription for most maintenance meds, as well as being accommodating if it was asked at the initial appointment.

Yes. A year or so ago we did not have health insurance for a few months. I called my Dr and she changed my prescriptions to ones available on Walmart's $4 list.

Recently the dose for one prescription changed from 20 mg to 40mg, the 40mg was not on the list so they changed the prescription to two 20mgs (therefore $8 a month, but still a huge savings).

She has also offered samples for a prescription my 17dd carries around to fend of migraines. One tablet under the tongue at the start of a headache will make a huge difference. She probably uses 4 to 6 tablets a year. The prescription is $50/tablet. Her doctor lets us have sample packs. (whew)

However, it was because her health insurance suddenly jumped up after she and her husband divorced. Nothing had changed re: her health or prescriptions, but she did have a new provider. She called the health insurance company and, after a LOT of fishing (fortunately, she is attorney) found out it was b/c of the type of BCP she was on. Not the fact that she was *on* a bcp, but *this* particular pill. She called her ob-gyn and had him change her pill so her premiums would go down. It really bothered her that she was telling her MD what to write for her.

While my husband was on a certain maintenance med, our Dr. wrote the prescription for double the dose that had a longer refill time, and we just halved the pill for him to take daily. It helped the cost of the drug by a ton, as they all cost the same, so we could extend the next time we had to refill by double the time it would've been normally. I hope that made sense lol. But he did us a big favor when we were really strapped for any cash and understood.

For example: 90 Lovastatin 40 mg pills vary from $120 - $165 depending on where you buy them.

180 Lovastatin 20 mg pills would cost me $20 because they are on the generic list at Target (90 for $10, so 180 for $20).

Obviously this would be a huge savings.

Are doctors open to doing things like this?

Definitely! My dh does this sort of thing all the time. As long as the patient is capable of managing the medication (remembering to take 2 tablets) he will do whatever he can do to save the patient money.