Menu

Help me find fun things for grandparents with grandkids?

My parents will be visiting. And we have plenty of things to do like miniature golf, bowling, visiting parks, playing at the hotel pool.

But they also need things to do during "down" or quiet time like good movies, fun books to read together, fun games.

I've already suggested My Neighbor Torturo and will have that for my mom to watch w/ the kids -- it's great if you haven't seen it.

Anymore ideas. My kids love UNO, but other than that I don't know what to suggest.

My boys are 7 and don't watch PG movies.

I know my parents get exhausted doing all of the super active things w/ the kids, I just need some quiet time activities.

TIA!

Alley

My parents will be visiting. And we have plenty of things to do like miniature golf, bowling, visiting parks, playing at the hotel pool.

But they also need things to do during "down" or quiet time like good movies, fun books to read together, fun games.

I've already suggested My Neighbor Torturo and will have that for my mom to watch w/ the kids -- it's great if you haven't seen it.

Anymore ideas. My kids love UNO, but other than that I don't know what to suggest.

My boys are 7 and don't watch PG movies.

I know my parents get exhausted doing all of the super active things w/ the kids, I just need some quiet time activities.

TIA!

Alley

A lot of grandparents enjoy playing some kind of cards and there are easy games that a 7 year old could play like gin rummy. Board games are also good. Cards and games give interaction and build relationship but are physically easy. I just visited a friend who has a 5 year old. Last time I was there, the mom had something demanding her attention and I asked how I could help. She asked me to entertain her 5 year old. We played Candyland. And yes, I cheated so that the child won and it didn't take too long. Yesterday, when I was there, the 5 year old said, "You know you can come and visit me again anytime you want and we can play something. " :001_smile: It really is a relationship builder! Games: Parcheesi is good for that age (hard for grands to cheat and let the kid win, though!), gin rummy, go fish, double solitaire, mancala, Sorry, etc. I just can't suggest Monopoly because I *hate* playing that because it is so long! But maybe grands would be good with it!

Have them bring a photo album from when you were little and tell the kids all about what trouble you were as a kid :) My kids love this. Have grandma read them a favorite book from when she was little, or teach them a game she liked as a kid. Coloring, drawing, legos (my mom keeps some little people animals and megablocks at her house so she and ds5 can build a zoo)

Does you mom bake or cook? My mom loves to make cookies with the boys. My dad teaches them to play chess. My fil teaches and plays checkers with them. Old photos are a great idea. Especially if they can tell about your grandparents and even their grandparents. My boys love learning family history from the grandparents.