Menu

Help me feel better about writing!!!

tiffanieh

I have always heard from my other homeschool friends not to worry about any formal writing until 4th grade when we then will start IEW. We started WWE 2 this year, he's in 3rd grade, and will do IEW next year.

Please tell me that I haven't "screwed him up" or done him any injustice by following this schedule. I have a 7 year old at home too... Should I be following a different schedule or are we okay?

:chillpill:;);)!!

Your plan to do WWE and then IEW beginning in 4th is TOTALLY fine! I'm currently doing the EXACT same thing with my youngest son who is in 3rd grade. (He's doing WWE2 and next year we will start IEW.)

My 5th grader started IEW in 3rd grade, with no previous writing experience. It went okay, but I felt 4th grade would have been a better fit. (Thus, the new plan of WWE and then IEW for my younger ds.)

One year of WWE and then 3 years of IEW should provide a nice writing foundation for your future middle schooler.

If you have screwed yours up then I have too :) We have used R&S which covers some writing, and done the ideas from TWTM for writing. I have not even used WWE or anything specific. I still haven't even decided if we will use anything next yr for 4th yet or not either, besided R&S and continue what we are doing.

I am not finalized for next year, but plan to buy the talks mentioned above and reread the writing section of TWTM before I do. I sat in on several of Andrew Pudewa's talks at convention last year, and liked his ideas. I think I would like IEW.

No help, just letting you know you are not alone!

You are fine. In the early years we practice getting comfortable with writing...as in the mechanics of moving the pencil and making words and sentences. That happens mainly as copywork and answering questions in a full sentence, using spelling words in sentences etc. I start written narrations in 4th or 5th grade...along with some IEW and WTM type writing.

Faithe