Menu

Surgery is over! The news is GOOD! He loved the note!

Hi Everybody!

I'm sitting here in my hospital bed on my daughter's laptop. Surgery was about 28 hours ago. It was a huge success! It was found that my hip prosthesis was NOT loose from the bone which is totally awesome! The had worn unevenly and had been slipping in and out of the socket, causing irritation to tissue and nerves. The reason we couldn't see it on the xrays etc. was because when I'd lay down for the xray, the ball would slip into the socket and look normal! So, he gave me a new socket liner and a new ball and cleaned up some scar tissue. Essentially, I got a tune-up. He feels that his findings explain all my symptoms and that there's no reason to think I won't heal completely from this. What amazing news after 8 months of pain and crutches. And so far so good! I'm feeling great!

I did give him the note just before he left my pre-op room. He came back about 5 minutes later, held my hand and said, "What a sweet note! Thank you so much!" I really think he appreciated it and that it made a difference in how he saw me and a patient. Thanks to everyone for the good advice. And most of all, thanks for the prayers! They worked!!!

This is the final note I gave him.

Dear Dr. Barnes,

It’s important to me that you know about me as a whole person. My husband and I have been married 26 years and have four children. We own a farm on which we raise hay and care for many animals. I work with children in 4H, home school, and in my church. We put on petting zoos and fall parties for our community at the farm. I ride horses and help teach others to ride horses. As a family we like to hike and camp. I am only 47. I have a family to care for and a ten year old daughter to ride and play with. My lifestyle is very important to me. It’s a lot of who I am. I am counting on returning to my normal life to the maximum extent that is possible. I need a leg that works. If it weren't for people like you, brave people willing to do brave things, I would have little hope. I want to thank or helping me and let you know that there are a lot of people praying for both of us!

Lisa