Menu

I'm watching 'Waiting for Superman' right now

Guest Dulcimeramy

I also should mention that our charter has only had the grammar school for a few years and there is a already a truly giant waiting list to get in. Especially minority students from the county next to us. The little people's parents are starting to really get the difference in the schools here. So things are looking up! :001_smile:

This is the kind of thinking charters are up against here, no matter the results they get...'cause it isn't about results, or about educating the children. It's about money.

http://www.shelbystar.com/news/clary-53826-county-sen.html

This is the county next to us; they have no charter so some of their students choose to come to ours.

Georgia

and I've had a lightbulb moment. I AM SUPERMAN.

By classically homeschooling my children, I am educating four low-income boys who were born in a trailer park to a mother who only had a high school diploma and a vocational certificate.

I am rescuing them from a cycle of poverty and ignorance.

I am Superman. If you are providing a much better education to a child than he would receive at his local public school, you are Superman, too.

Feels good to know that.

Best post of the day. :hurray:

Oh my gosh, we just finished watching this a few minutes ago. My eyes are still squinty from crying. We watched it as a family. My oldest hugged me afterward and said, "I'm so glad that you can afford to homeschool us." And ,that made me tear up again!

I feel so bad for those families that didn't get in. And, I feel so angry that we have gotten to the point in America where we have 600 people competing for 35 spots in order to get a decent education!

I also should mention that our charter has only had the grammar school for a few years and there is a already a truly giant waiting list to get in. Especially minority students from the county next to us. The little people's parents are starting to really get the difference in the schools here. So things are looking up! :001_smile:

This is the kind of thinking charters are up against here, no matter the results they get...'cause it isn't about results, or about educating the children. It's about money.

http://www.shelbystar.com/news/clary-53826-county-sen.html

This is the county next to us; they have no charter so some of their students choose to come to ours.

Georgia

And our Gov is firmly in the pockets of the teacher's unions. She's gutting mental health and developmental disability programs yet refuses to cut ANY public school funding - which she CLAIMED the lottery would provide.

Our local charters have waiting lists a mile long and good reputations for results.

NC might be a right to work state but the schools are owned by the NEA here.

and I've had a lightbulb moment. I AM SUPERMAN.

By classically homeschooling my children, I am educating four low-income boys who were born in a trailer park to a mother who only had a high school diploma and a vocational certificate.

I am rescuing them from a cycle of poverty and ignorance.

I am Superman. If you are providing a much better education to a child than he would receive at his local public school, you are Superman, too.

Feels good to know that.

OMG, this is so awesome! I just watched this movie the other day and I never even made this connection. Thank you!! :D

And our Gov is firmly in the pockets of the teacher's unions. She's gutting mental health and developmental disability programs yet refuses to cut ANY public school funding - which she CLAIMED the lottery would provide.

Our local charters have waiting lists a mile long and good reputations for results.

NC might be a right to work state but the schools are owned by the NEA here.

Don't get me started there.

My ds attends one of the top charters in NC with the same reputation for results. (2009 results were 100%/1720 - 4th in the state compared by system.) The waiting list is NUTS, much like the ones in the movie. They don't cater to a low-income population, though, because the location of the school makes it difficult for some to get there. I do know one low-income student who graduated last year whose mother got him to the school everyday from 30 miles away - it was that important to her. However, not everyone has that option.

I understand that not all charter schools get those same results. There are a few stars in NC - Raleigh Charter, Woods, Thomas Jefferson, Gaston Prep, and Franklin Academy seem to be the *stars* when it comes to SAT scores. However, there is another school that serves a great purpose but only had 3% taking the SAT - PACE Academy in Chapel Hill. They are a *vocational* school - greatly needed in a school system where the high achievers dominate and those who are less-academic get left behind.

Why are the unions so threatened by the charter schools? Because charter teachers as a whole are NOT UNION. Many of them aren't even certified!!! The teachers love to teach there because the bureaucracy is limited - they are there to teach, not fill out paperwork and test the kids to death, KWIM? You can have high standards.

I remember a student 4-5 years ago who was expelled. Within the first few months of school, he had started multiple fights with other students - he was gone and the school didn't back down, even though his parents threatened to sue. Regular public schools don't have that option because attending a charter is a privelege, not a right.

I hope they lift the cap. Low performing charters shouldn't be allowed to stay open, BUT they need to be compared to the local schools with the same population, not some arbitrary state level. If they aren't closing a local school with worse results, they shouldn't close the charter.:tongue_smilie:

• 3 weeks later...