Menu

When to teach typing for a ds with fine motor skill troubles?

Celia

My ds who's just about 7 is really struggling with his writing. He's very slowly improving in what he can manage, but I'm afraid that even with OT, what his curricula demands of him will be more than he can handle.

Right now, I have him write a couple of math problems per page per day, the rest we do orally. We do WWE1, and as the length of the sentances gets longer, he's starting to struggle. He does one page of HWT per day, and a wee tiny bit of writing in other subjects (piano theory, science) on alternating days.

Of course we'll keep working on it, but I'm just wondering if I should teach him typing in grade 2 instead of grade 4 as SWB recommends in WWE so he can keep up with what is required of him.

Thoughts? And if so, what typing program would you recommends for such a young one?

We introduced http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/ at about that age. I think this is an area where you have to be pragmatic.

:iagree: I don't think what SWB recommends is relevant in your situation. You're working on handwriting as best you can, but sooner or later you need to make sure that content output isn't suffering due to the skill problem. After our last round of testing, our psych recommended that all three of our kids who were tested (who were in first and third grade at the time) learn to type. Two of them have, and they are faster at writing while typing than while writing by hand. A lot faster.

My other advice would be to start cursive. Many OTs recommend this, and two of my kids write very nicely in cursive, both lefties (though one has a significant grip problem that I'm going to have a hard time convincing her to change!). Not having to lift the pencil off the paper so much makes the writing easier.

My son has always struggled with motor skills as well. This year he has started asking if he can type instead of write. I had been teaching him cursive (although he has always written nicely with his modern manuscript), but I think I am just going to dump that and work more with typing. I've also noticed that with typing, it is good for him because he has both hands working at once, instead of just one with writing. We've been using the delux typing instructor or something like that. So far, I think he's relieved that he doesn't have the pressure of all the writing.

To the above suggestions, I wanted to add:

Learning a musical instrument, like guitar or piano

Calligraphy

Needlepoint (simple felt projects, like stitching together hand puppets)

Time... Three months ago I thought my DS would never write. Now, two months past his 9th birthday, I am surprised at how much his writing (ability and stamina) has improved.

My 11 yo ds has had a very difficult time learning to write, but I have held off on having him learn to type until this year. I am very glad I waited because it has given him a chance to develop his writing skills. Now, he can write pretty fluently in cursive. I will say that I wish I had started with cursive and just skipped printing. We spent 3 years on printing and he never really became fluent and when we switched to cursive, it was just so much easier for him.

I will say learning to type is not easy for him at all either. It is going to take him a long time to type with any proficiency at the rate he is progressing, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

Lisa

Start keyboarding skills when you feel the time is right. We use Typing Instructor which was cheap through Timberdoodle. I don't know if it is still available.

This program has real lessons then a games section. Ten minutes of the practice then ten minutes of the games after kind of like a reward will probably be welcomed and enjoyed by your son.

Just try it and see how it goes.

I also want to recommend using oral narration to gauge reading comprehension and also what he reads to himself. Don't use written projects to gauge what he's learning (like schools may do with book reports or other writing assignments at his age).

I agree that the cursive is SO much easier for my DS(10). We're learning to print using the Explode the Code Primers with my DS(3) but when we start formal "handwriting" instruction in K, it will be with cursive.

My DS(10) is just learning to type this year and his output, both with typing, and print, has improved SO dramatically. He *DOES* do better with the typing, but I think the joy, and satisfaction, of being able to express himself through typing has really helped him to trudge through with writing with pen when he needs to, too. It's like before he learned to type he'd just stop what he was saying mid thought, just because he was tired... but now he knows what it feels like to get it all out, and will power through when writing, to finish what he has to say. :D So typing DEFINITELY helped get him over that little hump, but I imagine there are also some developmental things at play here, too. :)

HTH!! :D