Menu

What are you planning for 10th grade? Need ideas, please!

I'm looking for ideas for 10th grade history, preferably literature-based but with a solid high school level spine. I've been searching a lot and can't seem to find just the right fit. Maybe you know of a curriculum that is a little less known than the big names?

For various personal reasons we have ruled out the following - Veritas Press, Sonlight and MFW - and I am not wanting to go into the whys and wherefores of that decision. I know they are all great programs, just not for us this year.

Your ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

www.heartsforhomeschooling.blogspot.com

I'm looking for ideas for 10th grade history, preferably literature-based but with a solid high school level spine. I've been searching a lot and can't seem to find just the right fit. Maybe you know of a curriculum that is a little less known than the big names?

For various personal reasons we have ruled out the following - Veritas Press, Sonlight and MFW - and I am not wanting to go into the whys and wherefores of that decision. I know they are all great programs, just not for us this year.

Your ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

www.heartsforhomeschooling.blogspot.com

I can share what I am thinking about using for next yr. I have not used this bk before. I did go ahead and order it today b/c I found it for really cheap. It is also not literature based.

I am planning on the 1st 1/2 of Western Civ in 10th and the 2nd 1/2 in 11th. I purchased Western Civilization: The Continuing Experiment (there are online supplements here http://college.cengage.com/history/west/noble/western_civilization/4e/students/learning_obj/index.html). I own (and have used in the past) TC's Foundations of Western Civ lectures (by the same prof as the textbook) He will also be reading Woods' How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization.

I am going to combine the above w/Critical Thinking Using Primary Sources In World History, Document-Based Assessment for Global History, and World History: Map Activities.

I am planning on the 1st 1/2 of Western Civ in 10th and the 2nd 1/2 in 11th. I purchased Western Civilization: The Continuing Experiment (there are online supplements here http://college.cengage.com/history/west/noble/western_civilization/4e/students/learning_obj/index.html). I own (and have used in the past) TC's Foundations of Western Civ lectures (by the same prof as the textbook) He will also be reading Woods' How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization.

I am going to combine the above w/Critical Thinking Using Primary Sources In World History, Document-Based Assessment for Global History, and World History: Map Activities.

The site you mentioned looks like a great source. Thanks! We do have a Western Civ book in-house!

I can share what I am thinking about using for next yr. I have not used this bk before. I did go ahead and order it today b/c I found it for really cheap. It is also not literature based.

The site you mentioned looks like a great source. Thanks! We do have a Western Civ book in-house!
Looks like that book book can be found for a very good price on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Civilization-Continuing-Experiment-Since/dp/0395885507

We will be following the WTM suggestions. We will continue to use Short History of Western Civilization as a spine and add Great books from the reading list.

We will supplement this by some lecture series from the Teaching Company: The Italian renaissance with Dr. Bartlett, and something I have not yet decided for Middle ages (I can't make up my mind, there are too many good courses)

We covered Ancients this way this school year and it worked out very well.