Menu

I think I broke the poll function...

Nan in Mass

I can't get it to take the other three polls I have written:

% saved by student or family for four year college

% given to student for first year of two year college

% saved by student of family for two year college

It keeps telling me "fatal error". Sigh.

I will try again in a little while.

-Nan

Are you going to try again?

I've gotten to wondering about how many of us went to college, how many were in the first generation of our families to attend college and whether / how that affects our willingness to support our children in college financially, and to what degree. I don't think I could come up with that poll, though!

Yes, I'm going to try again. My life is a bit complicated at the moment so I am slow to get to it. I'll try the 2-year first year expenses poll today. Hopefully it will work.

For your poll idea, couldn't you make a matrix and then just put all the combinations in the poll? I'll let you post the poll, so you can adjust it to suit yourself, but couldn't you do something like this?

POLL:

Did you or your husband go to college? How much are you going to help your children with their college expenses?

This is a poll about what you are WILLING to do. Obviously, nobody can predict what will really happen. Just take your best guess at which statement best matches your circumstances. Fathers - sorry, just pretend you are the mother for this poll. For the purposes of the poll, pretend all your children are one child. There isn't any "I'm only willing to help the first child a little because I have other children" option because children is PLURAL in the poll. I know can't really pre

1. My children's father and/or I went to college and we are willing to go into significant debt to help our children pay for college.

2. My children's father and/or I went to college and we are willing to put significant family resources towards helping our children pay for college.

3. My children's father and/or I went to college and we are willing to put significant family resources towards helping our children pay for college but we are have no resources.

4. My children's father and/or I went to college and we are willing to help our children pay for college a little, with a small loan or a little of our savings.

5. My children's father and/or I went to college and we feel that our children's college education is their own responsibility.

6. Neither my children's father nor I went to college and we are willing to go into significant debt to help our children pay for college.

7. Neither my children's father nor I went to college and we are willing to put significant family resources towards helping our children pay for college.

8. Neither my children's father nor I went to college and we are willing to put significant family resources towards helping our children pay for college but we are have no resources.

9. Neither my children's father nor I went to college and we are willing to help our children pay for college a little, with a small loan or a little of our savings.

10. Neither my children's father nor I went to college and we feel that our children's college education is their own responsibility.

You can have 10 choices in a poll. If you don't divide up going into debt from putting other family resources towards college, you could include the first generation part. So across the top of your matrix, you would put:

Significant family resources, A little of our family's resources, Students' responsibility

And down the side, you would put:

Mother and/or father went to college and not first generation college

Mother and/or father first generation college

Children first generation college

That would give you nine combinations.

-Nan

-Nan