Menu

Language arts confusion

tiffanieh

I'm not sure what program I should use for my 2nd grader next year. He's a good reader but not great speller. I saw the Phonics Road but wasn't sure if that also includes grammar or if it is better to use when teaching them to read.

Is there a better program out there for language arts?

I don't know phonics road either. For 2nd next year my dd (also not a great speller) will use Rod and Staff English, spelling, and phonics. I used the phonics and English before and love them. The 2nd spelling is pretty basic, so my oldest never needed it, but I think it will be right on track for my upcoming 2nd grader.

For reading we do WTM reading and narrations after she finishes R&S reading 1 (which may go into her 2nd grade year.)

ETA: Writing. R&S penmanship and we do WTM style narrations for literature, science, and history with the occasional creative writing project for fun. R&S also covers some writing exercises in 2nd.

I don't know Phonics Road either, but it sounds like a good program. (I think I just repeated someone up there, hehe.)

My daughter is already a reader, so here's what we're using, keep in mind that we love language arts at our house.

• All About Spelling 4
  • Growing With Grammar 2
  • First Language Lessons 2
  • Wordly Wise 2
  • Handwriting Without Tears Cursive
  • Write Source 1
  • Explode the Code 7 & 8 (phonics/reading review)

I don't know Phonics Road either, but it sounds like a good program. (I think I just repeated someone up there, hehe.)

My daughter is already a reader, so here's what we're using, keep in mind that we love language arts at our house.

• All About Spelling 4

• Growing With Grammar 2

• First Language Lessons 2

• Wordly Wise 2

• Handwriting Without Tears Cursive

• Write Source 1

• Explode the Code 7 & 8 (phonics/reading review)

Holy Moly! :) You DO like Language Arts! LOL

Of all those, I'd say we do 3 LA subjects a day, we rotate the programs. My daughter is an avid writer, and loves getting the tools to enable her to write better. Even so, I feel like a slacker, I don't really do a writing program every week.

A slacker??!? She's six!! You are no where near a slacker! We don't do ant formal writing program till 4th grade and then we are starting IEW!!

My daughter starts writing from the moment she wakes up and then goes to bed reluctantly, still looking yearningly at her writing journals... Most parents with such an avid writer would probably use some sort of a writing program every week. I go for months without doing any formal writing. That's why I think I'm slacking in this department. I suppose I needn't worry, she writes on her own all day long.

Check my blog and look at a few of the posts I made this week, you'll see what I mean.

If my dd was not like this, I would probably use WWE like everyone else.