Menu

Killgallon users...hows it going?

kwickimom

We're just finishing up SC for Elementary and are about to start Story Grammar for Elementary. So far, we're liking it. Dd enjoys the exercises and recognizing passages from books she's read and I'm seeing huge improvements in her writing.

I wish it touched on paragraph formation or how to integrate these fantastic sentences and create phenomenal paragraphs but I do see her transferring the skills she's learned in the book to her every day writing so I think that will all come along even more with time.

I have to say this is one of my favorite purchases. Not because it's so much fun or makes my life easier, but because I'm seeing some real skills being developed and seeing her put those skills to use outside of the workbooks has been really rewarding. Her writing is really starting to blossom. Now, part of this, I'm sure, is maturity and the fact she's a year older than last but I do have to give this book the credit that is due.

ETA: We bought ours at the beginning of the school year but unfortunately had to take a few breaks from it due to life circumstances. Otherwise we should be near the middle of SG not just starting it. Oh well. :)

Edited by plain jane

I just started this with my 10 yr old. He hates it. He tells me it is his least favorite thing to do. Writing is not a strong point for him. I have to really hold his hand quite a bit for the exercises. We are only on Practice 6 and I hope he starts to catch on and it becomes easier for him. He cries most times.

My DD started Grammar for Middle School last month and we're doing two practices per week. She has loved it except for one exercise where she was supposed to write a paragraph beginning with a given model sentence. For whatever reason, that particular exercise was like pulling teeth. :banghead:

I'm having both B & T do Sentence Composing for Elementary School. They do this twice a week, so we're working through it slowly. Both boys have needed some help, B more than T. Complaining is minimal. B just finished Practice 6 (Learning Sentence Imitating: Combining to Imitate). He has needed a bit of hand-holding on most lessons so far, but has come up with some much better sentences than he normally writes. I'm hopeful that this will eventually transfer to his 'regular' writing. :D T is ahead of B in the book, and needs fewer corrections. Since he's already done some MCT, I have a good vocabulary to use in correcting his work. ('See how there's a prep phrase here? You don't have a prep phrase in the same place in your sentence.')

We've only been using this a few weeks so I can't really say what the effects are. Dd doesn't love it, but she doesn't love any writing. I do the exercises myself beside her to give her some moral support. From the little we've used of this, I think it has great potential to improve writing, more than any other program I've seen.

we started it a couple of months ago, but are using it sparingly as DS adores WWE3 and is improving so much from it. I really like it-for DS it seems to be a lot of rewriting of sentences, which frustrates him, so we do some of it orally or I write for him. But I think the sentences he comes up with, and the "imitative" way it encourages DS to write, is wonderful. We'll be continuing with it and probably finish it up sometime in yr 4.

DD10 has been using this for about 3 weeks and is enjoying it. She's a good creative writer, so that's probably why. I think the modeling is a great way to help teach how to write good sentences. We were cruising through Paragraph Town, but it seemed all of sudden the student is expected to write paragraphs. There wasn't enough "how to" for me, so we're taking a break and doing Kilgallon and Writing Skills and then we'll go back to MCT.

We're about halfway through Story Grammar for Elementary. I think it's a great supplement. I don't think it would be a good stand-alone or first grammar program, but for kids who've had a good basic grounding (from FLL, for instance, or R&S or other programs), I think it's a great supplement or alternative approach for a couple of months. (It's a very short book and doesn't take long to work through.)

I went ahead and bought the Middle School and High School grammar books to let my son work through (I've been using Elementary with my daughter).

Lots of fun for kids who are voracious readers and like to write. I doubt they'd be such a hit with reluctant readers...

Hi, just wondering if this is the site you all are referring to.

Thank you :001_smile:

Yep, those are the books. I just ordered Elementary Sentence Composing from Barnes and Noble for $11 :001_smile: This is only like the 35th writing book I have bought to see if I like :001_huh:

Yep, those are the books. I just ordered Elementary Sentence Composing from Barnes and Noble for $11 :001_smile: This is only like the 35th writing book I have bought to see if I like :001_huh:

Thank you!

I am right there with you ;) just last year I purchased 5 different writing programs. Sometimes you need to seem to decide or get the feel for them.

I bought it a few months ago, but ds is not ready for it yet. He is quite a struggling writer, and we are working through a remedial writing book to get the basics of sentences & paragraph organization down. Once we've done that, then I hope to do Sentence Composing to add more variety. It's not a good first introduction to writing sentences, in my opinion - better for kids who are ready to play around with more advanced techniques.

We are on vacation right now so we haven't touched it in the past two and a half weeks or so, and we only started Sentence Composing in January I think, but my 10 year old daughter continues to need a decent amount of handholding with this program and she doesn't love doing it. I have not yet noticed it "paying off" (ie showing improvement) in her other writing ventures.

We will continue to give it more of a chance for now but I will say I can't even imagine her having done this at a younger age than she is now.

ETA my daughter does like to read and is a very good reader. She's not huge on writing though (especially assigned writing).

Edited by NanceXToo

This is her 2nd Killgallon book and she also did MCT's "town" level. I should dig up a sample from before to show the difference those two programs made in improving her writing.

that would be neat. I would love to see the before and after!

Too soon to say because DS has only done through lesson 4. So far so good. We are using WWE 3 and just added Sentence Island as well. I alternate SC and WWE weekly and we are doing Sentence Island 2x per week.

Is sentence Island the only part of MCT you are using? I was thinking of giving it a whirl, but we love R&S and I dont know if you can really just do the writing part alone.

The Killgallon exercises do get easier with practice. I've noticed that the 2nd book has required significantly less "hand-holding" on my part than Story Grammar did last year.

Story Grammar says it's for older kids than Sentence Composing does. You guys probably started with the harder one lol

Story Grammar says it's for older kids than Sentence Composing does. You guys probably started with the harder one lol

Yep, in retrospect we should've started with SC for Elementary. I'm planning on doing that with my younger ones. I'm finding that Grammar for Middle School seems about the same level of difficulty as Story Grammar. The main difference is that it uses the proper grammatical terminology.