Menu

Which language should I teach?

kristinannie

I am wanting to start with a language in kindergarten so my kids can hopefully become fluent in a language. I am adding Latin in about 3rd or 4th grade. I will add another modern language later on if the kids are receptive to it. Here are my pros and cons:

German

I speak this language really well (conversationally)

It is a less common language to learn so that would set my kids apart

There is very little ability to use this language in the US (especially in my area)

The phonics of this language is very different from English so I would definitely delay reading German until about 2nd grade

There aren't really any great early elementary programs for this language that I can find so I would mostly design my own

Spanish

I speak this language at an advanced beginner level, but could definitely follow a purchased curricula

I would learn along with my kids

It is the most useful language to learn in the US

There would be a lot of opportunity to use this language (not in my immediate area, but on vacations)

I don't have a passion for this language

The phonics of Spanish is easier that English and I could introduce reading earlier

I appreciate you advice. I also speak a little Russian (I took some in college). I would love to do Russian later (maybe in middle school or high school).

I would teach the language you know best: German.

(If your Spanish is not as good, and especially if you are not passionate about it, I would not teach that. There will be opportunities for them to take a Spanish course later on should they be so inclined, since these are more common in the US than other language classes.)

I have been raising my kids bilingually English/German.

I taught my kids to read German as soon as they had learned to read english. All they need is to understand that certain letters make different sounds - then reading is no problem. Most letters make similar sounds. The things my kids had to practice are v/w, ch and sch. They never had trouble with the vowels.

I would not go by usefulness in the US - in our area, for instance, NO foreign language is even remotely useful in daily life because we live in the Midwest. Proficiency in German would allow them great opportunities for study abroad, and would allow them to read wonderful literature in the original.

My DD's foreign language is French which I learn along with her (had some prior knowledge at advanced beginner level)

While Spanish is tempting, my vote is for German as well. You know German and are comfortable with the language. It may be more work for you, but it will be more meaningful.

I am having the same debate with myself. I grew up in South Louisiana. My dad's first language was French. My grandparents barely spoke English. I understand French (well, it's Cajun French, but close enough) and took 5 years of French. I *should* teach French, but Spanish just seems so much more practical. Nevermind the fact that anytime I try to say something in Spanish I use a French accent, I still want to teach Spanish. My current solution is to just ignore the issue and teach Latin and Greek. I don't recommend ignoring the issue. Just go with German.

While Spanish is tempting, my vote is for German as well. You know German and are comfortable with the language. It may be more work for you, but it will be more meaningful.

I am having the same debate with myself. I grew up in South Louisiana. My dad's first language was French. My grandparents barely spoke English. I understand French (well, it's Cajun French, but close enough) and took 5 years of French. I *should* teach French, but Spanish just seems so much more practical. Nevermind the fact that anytime I try to say something in Spanish I use a French accent, I still want to teach Spanish. My current solution is to just ignore the issue and teach Latin and Greek. I don't recommend ignoring the issue. Just go with German.

You seem to be in the exactly same boat as me (except with a different language of course!). Spanish is more practical in the US. There is no doubt about it. Of course, I live in WV and the only place we could practice here would be at the mexican restaurant! We do go the Mexico and the Caribbean frequently (getting less frequent now that we have 3 kids). Also there are tons of Spanish channels on our cable.

I am a language enthusiast. I took 3 years of high school German and have taught myself the rest. I took a year of Russian in college and have taught myself more. I have taught myself some Croatian as well. I have taught myself Spanish, but could just never really get into it. I honestly don't know why. I have been trying to force myself to learn Spanish the past couple of weeks and just haven't been able to get into it.

I do have to say though that I absolutely love some of the early elementary programs I have found to teach Spanish (Sube, Sonrisas, SingnSpeak).

Anyway, thanks for all of your advice. I think you all gave me the permission I needed to go with my heart and not my head. I did read in someone's post last week that there will be so many bilingual Americans who speak Spanish as a first language or learned it at home and are fluent. The opportunities for those who learn Spanish (while more widespread) might be harder to come by than for those who learn another language.