Menu

Strange Thinkwell Pre-Algebra question

First, here is the situation:

I purchased Thinkwell Pre-Algebra through a Homeschool Buyers Co-op Group Buy back in July, thinking that ds would be able to start it around November. He was going to be finishing up MUS Zeta around that time. Well, long story short, I discovered that MUS Pre-Algebra covers the same sort of stuff that other curriculums do MUCH earlier. So he has spent the past several months using Math Mammoth and getting caught up in order to be ready to start Thinkwell Pre-Algebra.

The kicker is that he has had to go SO far back in Math Mammoth for some concepts (3rd grade!:glare: ) since MUS didn't cover them at all that he will not be ready to start Thinkwell until sometime next year at least. But from what I can tell I'll have to register for Thinkwell by July and then I have a year to fully use it.

So. Here is my question, I think. What does a student need to have down solid by the time he starts Thinkwell Pre-Algebra? It appears on their website that their 8th grade math and Pre-Algebra are very similar? So would that mean that I should look at what is covered in their 7th grade math? I've BEEN having him just continue to progress through MM and test out of chapters he knows and camp out in ones he doesn't, but I wonder if there is a more efficient way to do this.

OR should I just accept that I'm out the money and next time don't get in a hurry?:glare:

Once you activate the Thinkwell access code, you have one year to do the course — but there is NO requirement that you have to activate within one year of purchase. I actually have an unused access code that is over a year old and is still good, which I confirmed with Thinkwell. I don't know why HSBC implies on their website that you have to activate within a year. You can start the subscription whenever your son is ready.

(BTW, I bought and returned MUS Prealgebra for the very reason you discovered — my son had already covered most of the material in Math Mammoth 4-6.)

Jackie

Once you activate the Thinkwell access code, you have one year to do the course — but there is NO requirement that you have to activate within one year of purchase. I actually have an unused access code that is over a year old and is still good, which I confirmed with Thinkwell. I don't know why HSBC implies on their website that you have to activate within a year. You can start the subscription whenever your son is ready.

Jackie

This is good to know. I think I will ask Thinkwell directly at the Cincinnati Convention. Maybe it has to do with HSBC? Maybe they don't want to deal with it after that (as I am pretty sure it goes through their site).

I bought Beginning Algebra and I have it written on my calendar that I need to start it in August. Luckily, I will be ready by then. :D

OP... I think for any Pre-Algebra you need to have multiplication tables pretty solidly, understand division easily, then decimals, percents and fractions. I don't think they need to be mastered, just well exposed to. JMHO.

Thanks, Jackie and Korin!

I saved an image of my subscription page to my desktop, so I can have the link even once it goes off my page at HBSC. That's good to know that I'm NOT just out the money!

Korin, thanks! The ONE THING I haven't like about Pre-Algebra so far is that there isn't a placement test.:glare: Based on what you've said it sounds like he just might be ready for it, but I'd hate to start it and realize that no he's not.

What about measurement and geometry? Since he's coming from MUS, he has had next to no instruction in that. That's where the biggest gaps have been that I've been filling in with MM.

The Thinkwell course I bought (which I haven't used yet) is AP Biology; I haven't used any of the Thinkwell math courses. They're taught by Edward Burger, who I believe also does a Teaching Company course, and he does the video lectures for the Holt Geometry course that Jann in TX recommends. He's quite funny, but he talks too quickly for my DS.

Jackie