Menu

has anyone been to the Columbus Zoo?

Yes, I have been there a few times, but not for a couple years. I actually met Jack Hannah there when I went with Big Brothers/Big Sisters about 17 years ago. They have recently made changes, for the better, I'm sure, but I haven't seen them. My favorite part of the zoo is the manatee exhibit. They also built a waterpark right next to the zoo. It's a fun place. Columbus has lots of fun stuff to do. COSI is fabulous, too. A must see for the kids if you are in town.

We are members of the Columbus Zoo and it is one of the best zoos I have ever been to (and we have been to many). Any specific questions? As the previous poster mentioned, COSI (science museum) is also very nice. I live about 1.5 hours away in Dayton but we go to Columbus fairly often.

If any of your kids are interested in planes, we have the National Air Force museum which has some great planes on exhibit including former presidential planes. Admission is free there which is always a bonus.

Edited by littlebug42

I live 10 minutes away from the Zoo, so I might be a little biased. :tongue_smilie: But we adore the Columbus Zoo. When I was growing up, we went once a year & tried to always squeeze everything in in a single day. Now we keep a membership, and we go pretty much once a month. Usually, we pick a continent & spend the day exploring. But we've also been known to spend the whole day watching the polar bears.

And I thoroughly second the recs to see COSI in Columbus & the AF Museum in Dayton. Also, the Santa Maria in downtown Columbus is always fun.

We are members of the Columbus Zoo and it is one of the best zoos I have ever been to (and we have been to many). Any specific questions? As the previous poster mentioned, COSI (science museum) is also very nice. I live about 1.5 hours away in Dayton but we go to Columbus fairly often.

:iagree:if you go on the weekend, there are amusement park rides at the zoo also. Nothing major, but fun none the less.

The Columbus Zoo is really nice, and COSI is awesome. I would put COSI at the top of your list.

Will you be staying in Columbus? There are a lot of awesome attractions in Ohio if you will be driving around the state. Cedar Point and/or Kings Island are worth the 15 hour drive. :001_smile: (I know, I live about 13 hours away, and make the trip all the time) Unless you are looking for more educational things...there are many of those, as well. Many of them are small and not worth the drive if you have to go too far out of the way, but if you are driving by they are worth the stop.

Let us know if you need any more suggestions.

It is a very nice zoo. We go several times a year. The animal encounters village is our favorite part. If you are at the polar bear exhibit during feeding time, go to the underwater observatory. We have not tried the water park or amusement park.

If you are going to be in the area for a few days, the butterfly exhibit at the Franklin Park Conservatory is also good. COSI has been mentioned. If you go to COSI, take the time to walk across the river to the replica of the Santa Maria. The tour schedule is erratic, but even if you can't go onboard, seeing how small the ship was is really something. If you walk a few blocks farther, you can see the statehouse.

If you need some free activities, the Columbus Metroparks are lovely. We especially liked Highbanks Park. The main branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library has a nice children's room. The Columbus Museum of Art is free on Sundays.

I live just north of Columbus (close to the zoo) and we love the Zoo ... have been members since we've had children. They recently added a polar bear exhibit and it is wonderful. We don't have giraffes or zebras, but there are many other animals and they're well arranged. As you're coming into town (if coming across I70), The Wilds may be worth stopping at (I haven't been, but it is supposed to be really nice).

The water park, Zoombezi Bay, is open during the summer, but pricey.

There is also COSI, as others have mentioned.

Visiting the Ohio State campus could be a fun activity ... the Oval (and Mirror Lake), Wexner Center, the 'Shoe, the new Library is supposed to be worth seeing (we haven't been down there yet).

There's a replica Santa Maria downtown.

If you're here at the right time, the Ohio State Fair can be fun (beginning of August).

Close by, there is the Air Force Museum in Dayton (worth seeing). I usually recommend Hocking Hills, but since you're from New England, it mightn't be such a thrill ;) Amish country is a day's drive away.

I live just north of Columbus (close to the zoo) and we love the Zoo ... have been members since we've had children. They recently added a polar bear exhibit and it is wonderful. We don't have giraffes or zebras, but there are many other animals and they're well arranged. As you're coming into town (if coming across I70), The Wilds may be worth stopping at (I haven't been, but it is supposed to be really nice).

The water park, Zoombezi Bay, is open during the summer, but pricey.

There is also COSI, as others have mentioned.

Visiting the Ohio State campus could be a fun activity ... the Oval (and Mirror Lake), Wexner Center, the 'Shoe, the new Library is supposed to be worth seeing (we haven't been down there yet).

There's a replica Santa Maria downtown.

If you're here at the right time, the Ohio State Fair can be fun (beginning of August).

Close by, there is the Air Force Museum in Dayton (worth seeing). I usually recommend Hocking Hills, but since you're from New England, it mightn't be such a thrill ;) Amish country is a day's drive away.

:iagree: Everything you said!! Where do you live? We're in Delaware... Love to find another Buckeye Homeschooler!

We lived in Columbus about 9 years ago and when we left, the zoo was what we missed most!! (And I like our zoo here in Cleveland.) In the mid-90's, we wondered what the big deal was, but in the next few years so much funding and care was put into building a good zoo into an *awesome* zoo, it became one of the things we loved most about living there. *sigh*

you are all so awesome. Thank you!!! I've pretty much made up my mind. The girls and I will be taking a girl's trip away, with dh's blessing, and will have some fun AND visit friends!

I think we'll limit it to COSI and the zoo this time around. We need to make sure we have time just to relax with friends, too. I'm thinking two days on the road, coming and going, and three days there. Dh never sleeps when I'm away so I think that will probably be our limit.

Thanks!!!

W (And I like our zoo here in Cleveland.) /QUOTE]

If you are talking about Cleveland, OH, that is my favorite zoo!! The Rainforest Exhibit can't be beat!! We studied the rainforest in January and I had hoped to road trip it up there, but the darn weather has been an issue :glare: I've only been to the Columbus Zoo once and it was nice.

Oh, we love our zoo, but they've reduced some of the exhibits over the past several years and got rid of my favorite: The aviary!! But, they are making a new elephant exhibit which we're REALLY excited about and making repairs/renovations, so I'm excited! (But I still like Columbus better... :tongue_smilie: )