Menu

TOG...combining weeks

AngelBee

You need to look at the weeks where they suggest in-depth reports. That generally means the reading is light. Every year I combine a couple of weeks several times a year. In fact, next week I am combining week 25 and 26 in Year 4. Last year for year 3, I combined several times. Plus, if you do not finish the last couple of weeks of the year plan, the first week is normally a review anyway and/or covers exactly what week 36 did.

Christine

Y3 U1 W7-9 comparatively light on reading and focused nearly completely on the same topic. For example at nearly every level 1 book is divided over the 3 weeks.

Do be careful combining the end of one year and beginning of the next. If you are using the evaluations there are large end of unit, end of year and at some levels literature exams. I think these are designed to have a week (or at least several days) of prep alone before the exam.

Do be careful combining the end of one year and beginning of the next. If you are using the evaluations there are large end of unit, end of year and at some levels literature exams. I think these are designed to have a week (or at least several days) of prep alone before the exam.

That makes sense. Thank you. :)

If anyone has specific weeks to list, please do so. That will help me save some time by following your wisdom! :D

Oh don't think this will be an issue for you. It looks like the oldest one is going to be 12. That is borderline for evaluation. I would not give a test to the younger ones and I don't think TOG has such a thing. Dialectic and up have the quarter exams.

i'm wondering why you are so set on speeding up. The majority of your children are young? Many people spend 2 weeks on a TOG week when there children are in elementary. Remember, the curriculum is for you. For year 2, my children had never studied the middle ages. We spent 2 weeks on several units or if they spent 2 weeks on the Vikings, we spent 3. However, when we got to the Pilgrims and other parts of American history later in the year that we had already studied in depth, I combined 2 or 3 weeks into one and reviewed the concepts I thought they already had and only had them read things on the world stage that they hadn't if that makes sense. You REALLY need to scan the reading pages yourself to decide which ones you can combine. There are lots of options each year. Ane why are you asking for all 4 years? Are you trying to make out a grand plan? It won't work. Trust me.. Take one year at a time and you will be doing well.

Chrisitne

I can't be specific because I don't have my TOG in front of me, but we have successfully combined three weeks into two with Y3 U1. The topics seem to be clustered into 3-4 week chunks with regard to how the books are spread out. My dd11 is a voracious reader, so we've completed the literature portion (3 week book) in one week and then tackled the history (another 3 week book) the next. We often condense the church history component (often a biography scheduled for 3 weeks) as well. We take the other subjects as we have time.

I personally wouldn't try to combine the end of one unit with the beginning of another.

I hope this helps.

The yahoo groups have suggestions. Here are the 2 lists I got from year 3 yahoo group:

I got into the website so I can explain how I squished up year 3.

Now we started mid year – so I totally skipped week 1. We didn’t need to review what we just finished.

Did week 2-4 in two weeks (I only have D/R level)

Week 5 as is

Week 6 + 7 in one week

Week 8 as is

Week 9+10 in one week

Unit 2

Skip week 11

Combine week 12+13

Week 14

Combine week 15 + 16

Week 17

Week 18

Unit 3

Skip week 19

Week 20

Week 21-24 we did the Civil War with a lapbook project not full TOG, Took 3 weeks.

Week 25

Week 26

Unit 4

Skip week 27

Combine week 28-30. I didn’t get it done in one week, but it was less than 2 full weeks.

Week 31-34 in two weeks

Skip week 35

Week 36.

Now I’m working on my squishing year 4 approach.

HollyAnne

12/13

14/15

END UNIT 2--no break, try to do unit celebration over weekend

(3 week break here for us to possibly visit family in AMerica)

22/23

26 (what happened to 25?--I have to check again!! oops!)

END UNIT 3--no break, try to do u.c. over weekend

27/28

31/32

35/36

Thanks everyone. :)

My issues are:

A) We are coming from a 3 yr cycle that has worked AWESOME for our family.

B) We school year round and have 48 weeks of lessons (4 of those weeks are "exam" weeks for things like end of quarter parties, annual testing, resetting up school stuff, etc)

So I am playing around with some ideas. I don't want to jeopardize the program, but I don't want to discourage myself by feeling like I have lost the schedule we worked hard to achieve.

I know it sounds silly, but it is important to me.

I already had it figured out how to do a 3 yr cycle with SOTW, MOH and SL.

Also...we would not do everything scheduled. We would go through 4 times so I am more than fine condensing as needed.