Menu

Yet another AAS question!

carrie_irene

So all you AAS users out there have me pretty much sold. I am 99% sure that we will do AAS next year (trying to convince myself to wait until then!:tongue_smilie:).

I will be using it with both my son, who will be 6 in the summer (but has been doing 1st grade spelling this year) and my daughter, who will be 5 in the summer. She is reading pretty well for her age, but has done no spelling. We have been working through OPGTR and PP.

So here is my question: Do I need 2 materials packets? I foresee my ds flying through level one as he already knows most of the phonograms, and dd moving through not as quickly. So I don't see it being something they will physically DO TOGETHER for very long. So can I get away with one student material packet?

It could get costly pretty quick considering ds will fly through the first level! ;)

Thoughts?

I would say no, you don't need two of them. My dd doesn't even use the tiles, ever. She prefers spelling things out loud, or writing them on her dry erase lap board.

I would not recommend AAS for a natural speller. If you think yours will fly through level 1, he'd probably fly through level 2 as well. My dd is a natural speller, and I think it's just way too easy for her. She enjoys it though, and I have it, so we'll see how it goes. We're part way into level 2, and she's 6 in first grade.

I read a post from another mom who suggested keeping a color coded(one color for each child) index card in the box for each child with a list of what each child is working on, so that you can just pull the cards you need. I have not personally used AAS yet but I just ordered it last week and I plan to do this as I have 3 children who will be using the program at the same time. This will make it very cost effective and hopefully it works!

I would say no, you don't need two of them. My dd doesn't even use the tiles, ever. She prefers spelling things out loud, or writing them on her dry erase lap board.

I would not recommend AAS for a natural speller. If you think yours will fly through level 1, he'd probably fly through level 2 as well. My dd is a natural speller, and I think it's just way too easy for her. She enjoys it though, and I have it, so we'll see how it goes. We're part way into level 2, and she's 6 in first grade.

I have a feeling that my ds may be a natural speller. I was. So those "memorize ten words a week" programs worked really well for me when I was homeschooled. But I am a bit hesitant to determine already that he is a natural speller. I know sometimes I have my mommy goggles on when it comes to how brilliant he is! ;);)

I think that's why I want to try AAS now. I think it will cement spelling concepts as he is still developing all the reading concepts.

But your daughter is enjoying it? That's good! I hope my ds will enjoy it too!

The materials packets allow you to customize the review for each child. To get by without getting a materials packet for each child you could try one of these options:

1-teach them together as a group. Both would review everything until it's mastered.

2-teach them separately, at least 1 full level apart if your oldest memorizes quickly, otherwise at least 2 levels apart. The first step in each level will review all previously learned phonogram, sound, and key cards (plus any words you are still working on or want to review), so know that you will need to "borrow" the cards back for that step. There is usually a mastered review during each level that reviews all of these mastered cards.

3-come up with an alternate method of tracking what they need to review.

It doesn't sound like this is the case for your family, but if any child has dyslexia, vision processing issues, any kind of learning disability, or just plain struggles with spelling, that student should have their own materials packet and it shouldn't be passed on to a sibling or shared until he or she has completed the program.

When in doubt, start with one--you can always order a second later. HTH! Merry :-)

My son just finished level 1 today! Whoo hoo!! He is NOT a natural speller. AAS has been a huge blessing for us. Even I find AAS helpful with the rules. I never knew the rules to spelling. I just knew what was right and what wasn't but could tell you why. AAS really helps cement the reasons why. If my son gets stuck on something I can just start the rule and he will finish it, then spell the word correctly. I love this program. Worth every penny!

Anyway, I will be starting level 1 with my K ds next fall. And son should be readly for Level 3 by then (we will finish Level 2 this spring/summer). The only thing I want seperate for my kids is the letter tiles. I think it would be helpful to have seperate sets (espicially since they are on the same level & each child may need more review in one area or another), but if you are really organized then you might do fine with one.

The materials packets allow you to customize the review for each child. To get by without getting a materials packet for each child you could try one of these options:

1-teach them together as a group. Both would review everything until it's mastered.

2-teach them separately, at least 1 full level apart if your oldest memorizes quickly, otherwise at least 2 levels apart. The first step in each level will review all previously learned phonogram, sound, and key cards (plus any words you are still working on or want to review), so know that you will need to "borrow" the cards back for that step. There is usually a mastered review during each level that reviews all of these mastered cards.

3-come up with an alternate method of tracking what they need to review.

It doesn't sound like this is the case for your family, but if any child has dyslexia, vision processing issues, any kind of learning disability, or just plain struggles with spelling, that student should have their own materials packet and it shouldn't be passed on to a sibling or shared until he or she has completed the program.

When in doubt, start with one--you can always order a second later. HTH! Merry :-)

Merry, thank you for taking the time to explain this. It helped! I have one set on the way. I think once I get my hands on it and can look at it, that will help. Chances are, I will get a duplicate set. With 4 kids, and starting with the oldest 2, they will get used!