Menu

s/o best edible something - homemade version

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Vietnamese Beef Curry (Serves 4-6)

Ingredients

1 kg beef chuck steak, diced into 3cm pieces

1 tbsp finely chopped lemon grass

1 small red chilli, finely chopped

1 tbsp crushed ginger

2 tsp mild curry powder

1 tsp cracked black pepper

1 tsp brown sugar

1 clove garlic, crushed

¼ cup (60ml) fish sauce

1/3 cup (80ml) peanut oil

2 medium onions, sliced

1 litre water

¼ cup tomato paste

1 star anise

2 small carrots, sliced

200g daikon or sweet potato, chopped

Method

1. Combine, in a bowl the beef, lemon grass, chilli, ginger, curry, pepper, sugar, garlic and fish sauce. Mix well, cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
  2. Heat half the oil in a pan, add beef in batches, cook until browned all over then remove from pan.
  3. Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onions and cook, stirring until onions are soft. Add water, paste, anise and beef to the pan, simmer, covered for 30 mins. Remove cover and simmer for a further 30 mins.
  4. Add carrots and daikon (or sweet potato) to the pan and simmer until beef and vegies are tender, about 15 mins. Serve with rice

and

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Azerbaijani Lamb Pilaf

Ingredients

2-3 tbsp oil

650g diced lamb

2 onions, chopped

1 tsp ground cumin

200g rice, aborio, long grain or basmanti

1 tsp tomato puree

1 tsp saffron threads

100ml pomegranate juice

850ml chicken stock

115g dried apricots, soaked and sliced into quarters

2 tbsp raisins (optional)

Method

1. Heat the oil in large saucepan over high heat, add the lamb in batches and cook for about 7 mins, turning until lightly browned all over.
  2. Add the onion, reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for about 2 mins, or until beginning to soften. Add the cumin and rice and cook for about 2 mins, stirring to coat well, until the rice is almost clear. Stir in the tomato puree and saffron.
  3. Add the pomegranate juice and stock and bring mixture to the boil stirring to avoid sticking. Add the soaked apricots and the raisins, and stir to mix well. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20-25 mins, stirring occasionally, until lamb a rice are just tender and liquid has been absorbed.

I found only concentrated pomegranate juice so I watered it down a little.

Both were gems out of cheapo, run of the mill cookbooks.

Rosie

Sweet potato bread

From Taste Of Home

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ cups sugar

1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground nutmeg

½ tsp baking soda

½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt

2 eggs

1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (I use the canned yams)

½ cup canola oil

1/3 cup water

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, sweet potatoes, oil, and water. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Transfer to a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan before transferring to wire rack.

Yummy Yams (no marshmallows needed!!!)

1 cup sugar

½ cup milk

2 eggs, beaten

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 stick butter, melted

2 tsp cinnamon

3 c yams, cooked and mashed

1 c pecans or walnuts, chopped

1 stick soft margarine

1 c coconut

½ c flour

1 c brown sugar

Carefully mix sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, butter, and cinnamon. Add yams. Spoon into 9 x 13 pan; set aside. In separate bowl, mix pecans/walnuts, margarine, coconut, flour, and brown sugar. Sprinkle over yam mixture in pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until browned. Reheats and freezes well.

Edited by LittleIzumi

Sarahj, I *LOVE* the Brown-Eyed Baker's site, but I never seem to get around to fixing her recipes. Now I know where to start.

Rosie, that beef curry is going straight onto my list, too. That is one thing my husband complains about regularly, that it's too hard to get a decent curry in America. (He complains about the lack of lamb, too.)

Rosie, that beef curry is going straight onto my list, too. That is one thing my husband complains about regularly, that it's too hard to get a decent curry in America. (He complains about the lack of lamb, too.)

Ha. Tell him it came out of a Women's Weekly cookbook. That should make him feel right at home, lol.

:)

Rosie