Menu

Most Rigorous Homeschool Curricula?

BBG580

Math (actually used)

Miquon (especially when started in pre-K with a child having "fun" and a parent intent on educating him or herself on how to teach mathematics to a young child).

Singapore Math (including the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word problem books).

MEP Math.

Primary Grade Challenge Math

Math (prospective)

Russian Math 6

Art of Problem Solving

Language Arts (prospective)

Michael Clay Thompson (MCT)

Latin (prospective)

Latin Prep

Lingua Latina (with College Compendium)

Wheelock's (with Dale Grote's supplementary book)

Middle level American History (prospective)

The Drama of American History series by the Colliers brothers

Bill

Bill,

I am very interested in Drama of American History series by the Colliers brothers and I just requested some of the books from my library. I will read and see how I can add them to our study.

Thanks!

I hope that I won't insult anyone on this board of all places, I do believe that the Classical Theory of Home School is one of the most rigorous of the methods that I have seen.

Nicole

I went Amazon.com looking for "the book" thinking you meant The Classical Theory of Home School.

Funny to me.... now we can start supplying new book titles, before the book is written :) :lol::lol:

I will first agree that it is all about how the curriculum is used. I have found, for example, that the most rigorous curriculum can't be purchased in book form; it's me learning a subject and how to teach it very well and then applying myself to that diligently. I have also seen people take very rigorous curriculum and use half of it or do other things to take the rigor right out of it.

It is hard, though, to find recommendations for rigorous curriculum in general. I find myself looking up anything anyone complains about as too hard. :D I've found some good things that way. But there isn't much out there, other than VP or WTM, that actually picks curriculum for rigor. I do find that avoiding anything certain homeschool figures recommend helps. ;) I also have key curriculums that allow me to peg another homeschooler's level of academia and determine whether their other recommendations will be useful to me.

Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Math - Singapore, if used well and with additional aids

A Beka and Horizons in the early years (K-4 or so)

AOPS courses, Zaccaro's books, and other "competition math" resources

Science - (I don't use much for elementary, so I can't give any recommendations there, as I don't look at much)

BJU w/ DIVE was the most challenging course I could find for Chem and Bio for high school

Language Arts - R&S English used fully and at grade level

MCT's materials

the WTM Great Books study for high school

in general, reading the classics is the most rigorous choice for all years

reading, discussing, writing (can't buy that in a box, though :001_smile:)

History - ditto the science for elementary

ditto the WTM Great Books

Geography - BJU's Geography for 9th grade, used in middle school

the most rigorous geography is learning to map the entire world from memory, imho, and then studying various areas through research

Foreign Language - Wheelock's Latin,

Latin Primer in the elementary years was the most rigorous Latin I could find, but I haven't looked at elemenary Latin programs in years

I think many of the most rigorous choices for high school end up being online courses for areas where a parent isn't going to throw him or herself into the subject.

Just curious-does nobody consider FLL rigorous?

I think it can be used rigorously, but that it requires "tweaking". I start FLL 1/2 in K and combine lessons to cut down on repetition. I also skip lessons on material I consider to be "pre-k" material (days of week, months of year, family relationships, etc.)

I put in a vote for Veritas Press Scholar Academy, but its a good rigor.

I dont think dd will have any problems in college, matter of fact, she sometimes wants to trade her sisters college homework, b/c she thinks its easier.

They were wanting to trade this wknd. when younger was doing Cicero and older had Shakespeare.

I can't speak to what is "the most" rigorous curricula, but programs I've seen that have impressed me as being "meaty" include:

• Singapore Primary Math with the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems books, and Singapore NEM

• MEP

• Russian Math

• CSMP (I really wish I could figure out how to teach this one because I'm positive my DS would absolutely :001_wub: it)

• Michael Clay Thompson's LA materials

• CLE LA (wouldn't personally use them because of the Protestant POV but they do strike me as rigorous)

• Don Killgallon's applied grammar/sentence-writing books

• Ellen McHenry's science programs

• Kolbe's literature programs :drool5:

Any particular grade levels for the Kolbe literature that you like? Or are all of the literature guides good?

I went Amazon.com looking for "the book" thinking you meant The Classical Theory of Home School.

Funny to me.... now we can start supplying new book titles, before the book is written :) :lol::lol:

I was googling this....... with quotes, without quotes, and doh(hand to forehead) it hit me.:blush:

:iagree: I believe it is Hunter who has an awesome line in her signature. The superior curriculum is the one that gets used. :D

I do believe there are many providers where their material would qualify as rigorous, many of those names you will see over and over in posts.

:iagree:

There's many. It all depends on what works for you and your children. And there's a learning curve to finding it so be prepared to make mistakes.

You may use what others say is 'the most rigorous' and you child might hate it and learn nothing so what has it profited you?

Edited by justamouse

I know this is a tangent, sorry!

but there is also a study guide set available (I found it under their fourth grade books section):

"Elementary Literature Study Guide Set

3 Book Set

NEW FOR 2009—Elementary Literature Study

Guide Set. Includes detailed chapter by chapter study

questions and vocabulary lists for each of the 41 books in a 2 book

set—a student book and a teacher book with answers—and a separate

glossary for looking up the vocabulary words. This set is good for all three

years of the elementary literature program!

3 Book Set T3930 $30.00"

This would be designed to be used alongside the course plans, but perhaps it could be used on its own?

Thank you! I've been wanting to get the Kolbe literature and didn't know about this.

Any particular grade levels for the Kolbe literature that you like? Or are all of the literature guides good?

They all look good to me but I have no personal experience with them. I'm definitely going to be checking out the $30 study guides, however. Their day school is only about 50 minutes away from where I live, so it may be worth a trip up to see if they'll let me look through it in person. :auto:

Carrie, Tracy and any others, Sorry for the confusion. It seems that I can come up with a good book title, however accidentally it might have been. I wish I could accidentally write the book too!:lol:

We use FLL3. That is the one we have started with so I don't know about 1&2. However, I believe it does fit as a rigorous curriculum. My mother who was always so upset by the grammar instruction that we missed on in school loves it. She tried to teach us grammar afterschool, but we objected mightily. It was so boring and dull. FLL#, is teaching me grammar as well as my son. IT also teaches other things like poem memorization. I was surprised by how quickly my son memorized his first poem. I thought it was cool, but I had no idea of how important it was until he did it. Now whenever he recites it, it is different every time. By spending the time memorizing it, he also understands it and now acts it out. Every poem since he memorizes faster and faster. It has also crossed over to WWE3 and really helps with his dictation.

For me, one thing I really like, is when curriculum's overlap and you can use them together. I find we are going into more depth, and it is taking less time with all the crossover.

We really like WWE3 too, I don't know how rigourous it is compared to other programs, but it has cured my ds's writing problems and he no longer hates writing.

Nicole

I agree w/others that this question does not really address the issue. It actually parallels a couple of different discussions going on on the high school board about CCs and college credit. Students can attend a CC and use the same textbook that a top tier university is using, but that does not mean that the content of the class is going to be anywhere near equivalent. (as background info.....the discussions on the high school board revolve around medical schools not wanting to accept CC or AP credits as pre-reqs for upper level math/science and that many unis will not accept CC credit hrs as transfer hrs. I absolutely agree with them, fwiw, b/c our CC experiences have been that the quality is subpar)

I was talking to a couple of long-term homeschooling moms and one thought that we share is that while having options in curriculum is a good thing, those of us homeschooling since the time when almost no options existed have the advantage of knowing that teaching is the more important key and not the search for the elusive "perfect" curriculum. It doesn't exist. Teaching can remedy a host of ills. (sending them off to learn independently with the "best curriculum" does not guarantee any specific outcome.)

I agree w/others that this question does not really address the issue. It actually parallels a couple of different discussions going on on the high school board about CCs and college credit. Students can attend a CC and use the same textbook that a top tier university is using, but that does not mean that the content of the class is going to be anywhere near equivalent. (as background info.....the discussions on the high school board revolve around medical schools not wanting to accept CC or AP credits as pre-reqs for upper level math/science and that many unis will not accept CC credit hrs as transfer hrs. I absolutely agree with them, fwiw, b/c our CC experiences have been that the quality is subpar)

Off topic, but :iagree:Mine too. I won't go into details, but I had some experiences that bordered on harassment by teachers of 2 CC classes I took. I stuck it out in one class, but the other I had to file a formal complaint in order to get my money back. I simply refused to do what the teacher wanted (lots of hugging and touching of other students).

I was talking to a couple of long-term homeschooling moms and one thought that we share is that while having options in curriculum is a good thing, those of us homeschooling since the time when almost no options existed have the advantage of knowing that teaching is the more important key and not the search for the elusive "perfect" curriculum. It doesn't exist. Teaching can remedy a host of ills. (sending them off to learn independently with the "best curriculum" does not guarantee any specific outcome.)

:iagree:Especially with the bold print above. This is one of the reasons I sometimes don't like to reveal what curriculum I use to other moms irl. I had a bad experience with one mother who thought if she just kind of gave her daughter the reading curriculum I was using then her daughter would turn out to read like my Ds. I tried to tell her that we don't use it as written, that it is just a very small part of our approach to reading, that I also instruct Ds using his favorite read alouds, and that we always have more than one read aloud with constant discussion going on at our house. She wasn't interested. It didn't work out well and she now thinks the curriculum stinks because it didn't transform her Dd into a reader.

Some would name TOG as a rigorous curriculum, but I know a family that uses TOG and no one I know would call their approach rigorous -- they simply aren't home enough to make anything they use rigorous. When asked, they say they use TOG, but haven't gotten around to it lately. :001_huh: They use SWR the same way.

I'm glad we have choices for curriculum, but I do think all that variety can entice people into constant searching instead of teaching (not that I've ever done such a thing !):blush5:

Shannon

Can we not turn this into a CC bashing thread? My dh teaches CC and having taken many CC classes, I find that really unfair. I learned more in Chem 2 at a CC than I even got near with two semesters of CC at a University. Many of my University classes were taught by Grad students-some good, some bad, but I wouldn't say that they shouldn't count because of that, kwim? My dh has mostly pre-med, pre-pharm, and pre-engineering students and many still keep in contact and are excellent students. Most to U of I C-U which is a very difficult school, and their credits transferred just fine.

Can we not turn this into a CC bashing thread? My dh teaches CC and having taken many CC classes, I find that really unfair. I learned more in Chem 2 at a CC than I even got near with two semesters of CC at a University. Many of my University classes were taught by Grad students-some good, some bad, but I wouldn't say that they shouldn't count because of that, kwim? My dh has mostly pre-med, pre-pharm, and pre-engineering students and many still keep in contact and are excellent students. Most to U of I C-U which is a very difficult school, and their credits transferred just fine.

Not meaning to bash all CCs, just sharing my experience with the CC where I tried to take some summer classes to get ahead. My credits for the class I completed did transfer btw. It sounds like you had a great CC experience. I wish I did, but I did not. I think experiences will vary depending on the CC.

Shannon

Our CC is wonderful and rigorous. It also has transfer agreements with many of the top ranked schools in the state. My dd's were both able to get nice fat scholarships to their choice schools and their credits transferred completely.

So, I agree with you.

Faithe

I think it is important for people to realize that CC quality varies school to school. Transferability often isn't a problem except for the top-tier schools. For me, the problem wasn't trasnferability or teacher quality, it was the level of expectations. Some CC are better than others, so it is best to choose wisely if you are looking for strong academics.

Science: I have yet to find a program I love. I know there are religious programs that are considered rigorous, but we are secular. We tried BFSU, but I couldn't implement it consistently. We use ES, but I wouldn't call it rigorous, and my son wanted more diversity. So I've ended up creating my own curriculum based on Core Knowledge and so far it's working very well. I like the diversity; it keeps me and my kids interested and we linger on particular topics when they interest us (we're studying vertebrates now and for some reason my elder is fascinated by eagles. It's the first time he has become literally obsessed with learning about something. Nice feeling :))

I loved Core Knowledge when I first read about it and I'm not sure why I didn't pursue it?! I really like your idea of using CK for science and adding my own books and activities for the early years. Thanks for this comment, it is so appreciated.

I also appreciated the Kolbe recommendation. I've never heard of it before this thread and it is seriously appealing to me. I will be looking into it more for potential use later on.

Thanks everyone for replying. We are fine with what we are currently using and very happy (my kids are little so it is hard to go wrong at this point, I think!) but I appreciate the opinions.

'Rigorous' depends on multiple factors and is highly subjective. I hesitated to dive into this conversation for that reason.

The Potters School online English & Latin courses tend to be rigorous (speaking from experience). I can't comment on their math or science classes. The jr. high level of history and geography are demanding, but not necessarily rigorous.

I don't know any homeschooler irl who does the level of writing that English 2 requires with Mrs. Frederick at TPS.

Chalkdust prealg & Alg 1 are rigorous. No doubt about it. When done in 7th & 8th (or any age) it does a thorough job. Again, I don't know any homeschooler irl who started with CD and kept with it due to the rigor. My older dc have strong math skills and we thank God for Prof. Mosely. :)

Edited by Beth in SW WA
more info

I did not mean it as a bash against CCs. CC serve a specific purpose and are targeted toward students w/in the community. However, as I wrote in another thread on a related topic:

(Education at a top prep school......It is really irrelevant what is going on at a "really good prep school," b/c 1 of 2 things happens......1- student skills vary widely w/in the school or 2- the school screens applicants and only accepts very high performing students. It doesn't occur any other way. You can't create a scenario where children achieve that which they are not mentally mature enough to master.)

CCs are meant to serve a large community w/o stringent screening/elimination. CC teachers have to teach to the population that attends. The population is not going to be the equivalent of students at a select university. That is not bashing the CC or the teachers there. It is the nature of what "community" is in community college.

It is also not bashing CCs when stating that med schools do not want to accept the courses as pre-reqs, anymore than the same statement in regards to APs is a bash against APs.:confused: Facts are neither emotional nor derogatory. Those statements are factual according to every pre-med program we have spoken to. (well, the CC is. The AP comment was only made by 1. But 1 is enough for us to make the decision for her to accept it across the board b/c other posters on the high school board say they have been told the AP comment by multiple universities.)

All of this goes back to the OP question. The most important question that should be asked is if the curriculum you use serves the needs of your particular students and your abilities to teach. That is the beauty of homeschooling. The only "community" that needs to be met is your child's. That leaves you free to focus on skill level, not grade level. Skill leveled teaching is the best way to serve your children.

I agree with most of that, but dh has several former students who are attending Medical, Pharmaceutical, and Engineering schools with their CC credit. If it is a good, accredited CC and one that has transferred their credits to the school before with a track record especially, then it should not be an issue to transfer in your credits. I would recommend talking to the Universities of your choice first, and petitioning for the grade if it comes down to it. I had no problems transferring my CC courses to Duke when I was accepted (and unfortunately could not attend due to a few unrelated issues) or to Oregon State. It *is* a shame that many CCs are replacing tenured, proven teachers with adjunct under-paid faculty, so I'd hate to see the quality of instruction go down in the future.

I loved Core Knowledge when I first read about it and I'm not sure why I didn't pursue it?! I really like your idea of using CK for science and adding my own books and activities for the early years. Thanks for this comment, it is so appreciated.

I also appreciated the Kolbe recommendation. I've never heard of it before this thread and it is seriously appealing to me. I will be looking into it more for potential use later on.

Thanks everyone for replying. We are fine with what we are currently using and very happy (my kids are little so it is hard to go wrong at this point, I think!) but I appreciate the opinions.

You're welcome-it's actually been very easy to use the Core Knowledge science recs and pump them up a bit with library books and narration. DS does his own experiments from a wide variety of sources (sometimes related to the topic at hand, and sometimes not) and it's been working well for us, with a lot less stress. Whatever works, right?

Having said that, what I tend to do is look at high-performing private schools and see what *they* are using. Many times it is similar to what homeschool families use. See if you can find a classical school in your state that lists their book choices on their website.

Although I understand your pov, I don't think the actual books being used is the sole answer. I think it also depends on how deep into the material you go, what is the breadth of knowledge being taught, how fast are they going through the material, etc. You can cover multiple grade levels in a year but what is being retained?

What is actually being learned? I think any curricula can be rigorous depending on the student, if they are being stretched in their academic comfort zone. Rigorous doesn't come from a curricula or book but from the approach of the subject and how well what is taught is retained. I consider Rhetoric level of the trivium rigorous, because of how it is designed to stretch the student into an independent thinker.

In the same respect, I do feel there is curricula out there than doesn't dive deep enough into the subject for the grade level but that can easily be corrected with enrichments if a parent agrees that is the case with their children.

I would say for us MM (along with extra worksheets, MEP, and Sing. IP) has been quite rigorous. My dd9 and ds7 have learned a lot using MM this year. dd9 has gone from trying to learn the multiplication table last May, to doing 5 digit division in less than a year, and LOVING it at the same time.

I also love MCT LA, R&S English, or MC for grammar and writing instruction. We are going to be trying IEW next year. Other than that, they both have been reading a lot of classic literature as well.