Menu

Heart of Dakota

susankenny

I started another thread regarding curriculum that can be used for multiple ages, and Heart of Dakota was recommended. I looked at it & I really like it a lot. I am specifically looking at Bigger Hearts for His Glory for my 2 children next year (they will be 7 1/2 & almost 10 - grades 2 & 4). For my 4th grader, I would get the extension package. For my son, I would get the "boys" book package. For English & Math, I will separate those subjects for them. How is HOD with geography though? THere seems to be no reference to geography at all in the Bigger sample or book list??? If you use this program - do you like it? How do your kids enjoy the books??

Thanks!

Susan

Susan,

HOD is a wonderful, rich program. We are beginning Bigger Hearts with our 8.5 year old very soon. I'm gearing up for it right now! :D Have you spent any time on the Message Board there? If you go to the Main Board there is a fantastic section explaining HOD's reasons for their choices in all subjects. I'll try to link you directly there: http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewforum.php?f=6&st=0&sk=t&sd=d&start=0&sid=e010cfcd36b31e680f5e09af6d0b2615

That should link you to the Main Board. The very top thread should be titled "The reasons behind HOD's choices" or something close to that. There is a lot of very good reading there. Carrie, the writer of HOD, has spent a lot of time explaining the whys and they've been kind enough to gather links to the many posts in one place. The very last entry on that choices thread contains links to some wonderful material. It is worth the time spent reading through it all.

Here is some helps on geography: http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8327&p=60881&hilit=geography+in+HOD#p60881 At the bottom of the thread Carrie gives a brief but helpful explanation of HOD's geography.

Another tip is to feel free to post questions on the HOD board itself. I have posted so many questions!!! The ladies there have bent over backwards to help me out, send me links, explain, etc. Carrie, despite being so busy with her own family, writing, and a convention schedule, purposes to be on her message board a couple of times a week. She gives personal attention to as many questions as possible and monitors what is happening there. Her sister also helps answer many many questions!!

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: I've taken the world tour with curriculum in the past 3 years and for our family HOD fits all of our goals and desires. I'm so excited to be starting the HOD journey with all of my children. I will be running Bigger Hearts for His Glory and Little Hearts for His Glory simultaneously. My oldest will also enjoy Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. I've been preparing for that and I'm really excited about it. I anticipate a lot of growth in him this year academically AND spiritually. :001_smile:

I do :D. Personally, I think they're wonderful and engaging. I test drove them on my oldest and he was hooked from the start. :D

For some folks, Eggelston has to grow on you. Carrie is very purposeful in the literature choices for each program. She really encourages you to stay with it for awhile and give your child/children (and yourself!) time to grow into the material. I've read numerous reports of those books becoming beloved to many. I'm sure there are some who don't have a love for them so to be fair, of course, that is a possibility. But it is so with any book choice! :001_smile:

:001_smile:

Susan,

We are in week 23 of Bigger and are LOVING it! The geography is in the rotating box on the left side (artistic expression, geography, history activity, and vocabulary touched on one day each week). If you look at the sample guide online, you will see how it works. The books are good; short enough to keep my dd's attention and meaty enough in the information department. We really like the rich language that is in most of the books. Keep the questions coming!

Jessica

This is our first year using HOD and we absolutely love it!!! Everyday my dc beg me to read more. Next year I will be using Bigger with a just turned 9 & 7 year old. I've not used the Bigger books yet with my dc, but they are waiting on my book shelves. I actually just showed my dc the books last night and they were literally jumping up and down with excitement. I also have all the extension pack books here even though neither of my dc fall under the catagory to need to use them. Since they beg for more reading each day, right now I plan on reading the extension books to them to satisfy this hopefully. I've read atleast 1-2 chapters in each of the extension books and they are just so good. I'm super excited about next year. Oh, and geography is definitely included atleast once weekly. It is tied in with the other history you are learning. I agree the HOD boards are wonderful. If you have more questions, we'd love to help.:)

I recommended HOD on the other thread. We're using Beyond this year, but I think I can answer some of your questions. Geography is usually covered one day each week...we actually had a geography lesson this morning. We've studied continents, the equator, countries, maps, and made our own maps and map keys.

There is a bit of writing in the R&S English book and we've had a few short writing assignments in our lessons (usually a sentence or two for Storytime). I'm guessing there will be more writing assingments with Bigger. There is also a bit of narration which paves the way for writing. If you use R&S English 3 or 4 for your older DC, there will be more writing in those lessons. My DD has written a few short paragraphs for English 2 and there is a section in the back of the book which covers writing.

I'm also planning on adding the extension books as read-alouds for both. My DD will only be 9, but they love being read to. I believe the Boys book pack you are looking at is for storytime, so you would be reading those aloud to both DC. We used a variety of all three packs this year since I already had a few at home.

We've been really pleased with HOD! I'm amazed at how much we can do in a short amount of time.

Last question. What do I need to buy for Bigger? Here's what I have...

Bigger Economy Pack

Bigger Extension Pack for my daughter

Boy Book pack for my son

But what about Dithor? Don't I need to purchase that & the go-along books for my daughter as well??

Language Arts & Math I own already.

I'm confused. Please help.

Thanks.

Susan

Susan,

On the Bigger Hearts package page there's a little light bulb there, and if you click on it, it'll walk you through what you need to order. I'll try and help, but definitely check that out because you don't want to miss anything.:)

You need:

1. The Economy Package

2. The Science Add-On (unless you're using something else for science)

3. Something for reading, sounds like your oldest you would use DIHTOR, so you'd want that and yes, you'd want a book pack unless you're using the library or books you have at home that are on her reading level. I've used a combination of books here that I've gotten from PBS and the library. The book packs from HOD are super convenient though. For your 2nd grader you could also use DITHOR, unless they aren't reading chapter books and that's where you'd do the Emerging Reader Set.

4. Handwriting (if you dc need to learn cursive). My dc write well already in cursive so we'll use the poetry for neat handwriting and copywork.

5. Sounds like you already have your Math and language, so you would just need two books from the Basic Package: Hymns for a Kid's Heart and Little Pillows. This year we are using Morning Bells (written by the same author of Little Pillows and it's just fantastic!!!) You don't want to miss Morning Bells and it's only $4.00.

6. On the Deluxe Package is where you pick your read alouds, so this would be for your dd and your ds. It looks like you've chosen the Boy Pack. You also have the option of mixing up the books. This is what we did as I have a boy and a girl, but you can do whichever you prefer.

7. Last is the extension package. According to HOD you don't "need" it unless you child is 10 or 11, even if they are going to be in the 4th grade. For example, my ds will just turn 9 before he enters 4th grade and won't be 10 until he's actually out of 4th grade. HOD says Bigger is enough on its own and that we don't need the extension package which extends the areas of Science and History. So I'm not sure how old your 4th grader is, based on what I said above you may or may not "need" the extension package. You could still get it though. They are fabulous books. They are "meant" to be read by the child themselves, so you should check the reading levels etc. if that's your purpose.

I hope I haven't been confusing. If you have more questions let us know. Again, check out that light bulb. It's pretty much what I said, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

Oh, and we love DITHOR.

Susan, DITHOR is optional, esp at the Bigger Hearts level. There is a "mini-DITHOR" built in to the Storytime each day, so you will still be getting some lit-analysis if you decide not to do DITHOR.

If you do go with it, you will need another set of books. You can buy their DITHOR book packs for convenience, or you can buy or borrow your own selections from the library. They just need to fall into the genres studied in DITHOR.

My DS loves HoD books. They choose the best of the best. :001_smile:

The extension schedule is found in the Appendix. There is a lot included that can not be seen in the samples. Including Extension schedule, Emergent reader schedule, spelling/dictation, alternate math schedule, poetry and storytime suggestions. I will be doing Bigger Hearts this coming year also. HTH

The extension schedule is found in the Appendix. There is a lot included that can not be seen in the samples. Including Extension schedule, Emergent reader schedule, spelling/dictation, alternate math schedule, poetry and storytime suggestions. I will be doing Bigger Hearts this coming year also. HTH

Perfect! Thanks again!!:)

Susan