Menu

Horizons vs Saxon Math

4our4

This is our first year homeschooling and we're using Horizons 1 and 3 for our math. I didn't do much research as to the pros/cons of it - I just picked it. I feel as if Horizons may be light on the excerise front, that the kids aren't getting enough practice. I've heard a lot about Saxon recently. Before hopping from one to another, has anyone found any advantages/disadvantages to either?

Thanks!

Do you have the TM's for Horizons? There are practice worksheets in the back of those. Also you can always print free worksheets off the internet to supplement whatever you are studying. However, I agree with PP, if the kids are getting it, then it does it really matter how many problems they are working each day on a topic? Plus, since Horizons is spiral they will be reviewing each of those topics they are learning all year long.

As for your original question, Saxon does have a lot more problems than Horizons, but some people see this as a bad thing because it can be overwhelming for some students.

It's hard to say. When my son revisits something we've covered before it's almost as if it's new to him. I've been finding some more drill worksheets online but it would be nice if I didn't have to. I know, a bit lazy. :/ I've also heard that Saxon scripts the lessons for the "teacher" - that seems like a nice plus. I'm winging it a bit - just giving them the book and helping out if they have any questions.

If your kids need more practice, did you realize that the Horizon TM's have extra worksheets in the manuals? Usually people are saying the opposite--that Horizons has too many problems, LOL!

BTW, starting in Horizons 4, there are instructions written to the student right in the workbooks--1/2 to a full page, with examples. These work well as scripts and give the teaching support I would have liked in the earlier levels (though they aren't that hard to "wing it" as you said at those levels).

Saxon seemed to have less problems to me that Horizons when I've looked at it. Merry :-)

We switched from Horizons to Saxon after Horizons 2. Dd9 was refusing to do Horizons because it was work page after work page and I think she was bored. I added living books and manipulatives but it was time for a switch at the end of horizons 2.

We started in Saxon 3 midway and she enjoyed the interactive fun lessons and the work pages in Saxon better(b/w was less distracting). She's now doing Saxon 54 independently and seems to like it although it's been mostly review.

I've been using Horizons K with my dd6 because I had it on hand. We've just switched to Saxon 1 and I plan to use Saxon for the long haul with both.

Saxon is more engaging and easier to teach because it is scripted for the homeschooler. The activities are fun and the variety and amount of student work is just right for us. Activities help solidify the concepts. Horizons is geared more for a classroom - I did use the teacher book and additional work pages but i find, overall, Saxon is easier to teach from. I also like that the Saxon work pages are organized so that I have everything at hand for today's lesson - lesson page, drill sheet and any master pages for that lesson. Saxon's incremental approach seems to serve up just enough new material while constantly reviewing past lessons. We've been happy with the switch.