Menu

Ditching the school room

What type of storage do you use if you have done the individual desk thing and decided to move away from it? My boys have desks, but far prefer to do their work at the dining room table these days. What type of storage do you use for textbooks?

picture... I hope

Edited by Old Dominion Heather

Dunno if it helps, but I've got the bottom shelf of one bookcase in the living room for our books and pencil boxes and a storage cabinet in the "office" where dd 17mos sleeps for her afternoon nap. (Doh! That's why we're not doing art again today - I keep forgetting to get the supplies out before she goes down.) Library books are kept on another bookshelf.

Mama Anna

For my 2nd grader and two 6th graders we have those 3 drawer plastic storage containers on wheels, that way you can just roll them where they need to go. Each child seems to only need one drawer...so at times we also just "park it" somewhere and they just pull out their indidvidual drawer and go to their work area. For my oldest daughter who is in highschool, she keeps everything on a bookshelf in her room.

HTH,

Susan

I use a rolling storage cart that was designed for scrap booking. The are seven drawers each with an attached lid. The drawers are wide enough for books to lay flat. Last year when I used Saxon for math, the drawer was large enough to fit the teacher's manual which was a thick spiral bound text.

We school in the dining room as well and I store all of their school books in milk crates. I also store all of my TM's, notebooks, etc. in my own milk crate. We pull them out of the hall closet to do school and put them up at the end of the day. We store library books in a basket in the living room since that is where we usually read.

Not pretty, but I didn't want a bunch of bookshelves in my dining room since that is the only eating space we have in the whole house. I knew the kids would have the books pulled out all over the floor all the time :001_smile:

Each girl has a plastic crate meant to hold hanging files from Office Max. There are hanging files inside. I can put several workbooks in one file--like their Singapore math workbook, textbook, and challenging word problems. I can put loose pages in a file folder and then put that in a hanging file, like youngest dd's WWE pages that have been cut loose from the book. I can even put a textbook in a file, like a R&S grammar book. But if you have a lot of hardback books, a shelf would be better than a crate. If you have mostly workbooks, the crates are great. They are stored behind each girl's seat at the table. Ideally, they do their work and then put it back in their crate, but we're still working on the putting back part.

We tend to do school where we flop so each kid has a book bag with their pencil box, supplies and books they are using right now. They each have a cubby to store it in. I have a small bookcase in the entry room where the computer is for things we're using now or soon. Extra stuff is in rubber maid boxes stacked in a corner with a cloth over it to appear to be a table.