Menu

NVLD dx 3 yrs. ago. Need your opinion, please.

DD8 was dx with NVLD when she was 5 which seemed like a good fit at the time. DH was not convinced.

Fast-forward 3 years and now I'm not convinced. At the time I was convinced because she had poor fine motors, was a tad clumsy and had the typical discrepancy between her verbal and performance iq score. I was pretty adamant about getting a diagnoses at the time for fear she wouldn't get the help needed in public school (IEP was going to be taken away w/o proper diagnoses...I was a naive.)

Here are some nld traits and some that contradict the diagnoses....

DD does not exhibit social problems, although I realize she's still young. She reads facial/body/gestures expressions without any problems.

She's not socially awkward and makes new friends easily.

Does not have an exceptional memory or vocabulary, I believe it's typical.

Reads at grade level (maybe a tad above,) comprehends well. Can narrate and dictate well.

Her writing was always a huge concern but this year it's improved tremendously since pulling her from PS. She really needed the copywork and one on one. I'd say it's on level/typical (never thought I'd be able to say that.) :)

She avoids fine motor activity....cutting, drawing, gluing and any form of art. She sees no fun it it. I'd say her drawings are that of a 5 yr. old.

Math is difficult; we are 1 year behind her peers but I'm finally seeing the light bulb going off. She really enjoys word problems.

She is more of an auditory learner, for sure.

Takes things literal and will ask confirmation if unsure of a verbal expression or idiom (not convinced this is abnormal for an 8 yr. old though?)

The visual spacial processing issue is obsolete. I see no clumsiness and believe OT, gymnastics, violin and swiming have fixed this (and pure determination.)

I am seeing more and more of a focus issue. It literally takes her FOREVER to accomplish anything if I am not there coaching her. It's a battle, everyday. She is sooooooooooooo, painstakingly slow and distracted (brushing teeth, hair, dressing, getting shoes on, etc.) I've tried reward charts, taken screen time away, etc. She says she can't help it and breaks down in tears. She gets easily distracted and her teacher has even noticed it getting worse. It can be a quiet room, with no distractions and she will be in her own world, also. Her swim coach said it's becoming a problem because she's unable to keep up with her peers in the pool because she's horsing around (and she doesn't care that she's 2 laps behind everyone else.) Are we possibly dealing with ADHD in addition to NLD or just ADHD? I'd say she's always been like this, it's just more noticeable now that she's getting older and more independent. Help!!!!

As an ousider looking in, does this seem like NLD behavior/traits or something else perhaps is going on?

I could take her back for another evaluation but I don't want to do that to her but (another 'but' ;) ) it makes it hard for me as a mom to know how to best help her without losing my mind with this focussing issue.

If you've made it this far, thanks for listening and reading.

It sounds like you know your child pretty well.

She sounds a lot like my oldest. My dd has learned to focus but it is hard for her and she has to really work at it. I have her time all her school work, so she can see where her time goes, or where it isn't going. ;)

I require her to get so much done by lunch or she doesn't get her online time to talk to her friends (this is my 7th grader). She actually gets in gear about once a week and earns it. She had once this week she was still doing hs at night, but she got it done by 9.

Before I drew some very concrete lines at to what she had to get done or she wouldn't have any privileges, she was literally hsing from 7:00 am to 9:30 pm, and then spilling into the weekend and finishing up on Sunday. Right now she generally has between 2.5 and 3.5 hours of hs per day. Now this doesn't include transition and set up time, so I figure add an hour for that. But that means at most she had 4.5 hour of school that she couldn't get done in 12+ hours.

My dd has never been diagnosed, so I don't know if she has anything. Generally I consider her dysgraphic and dycalculic because she can't trace a straight line to save her life and she gets math but has problem executing it. I have had a few people ask about ADD, but it is not something I get a lot. She is an auditory learner and any sound will district her. She does best when she puts on some headphones with music on. It blocks out the rest of the world so she can focus on the task at hand.

Heather

A simple thing might be to talk to the doctor about a trial of meds for ADHD. It can take a few trials to get the right med/dose but if it is ADHD, the changes with the meds can be VERY dramatic and quick---like in 20 minutes or so.

Dexedrine is the med that works best for my daughters and the differences are so incredible.

She does best when she puts on some headphones with music on. It blocks out the rest of the world so she can focus on the task at hand.

Thank you, Heather, I'm going to try this on Monday. If I do not sit beside her while she's working on seated work, it wouldn't get done. I'll walk away for a second, turn to look at her and she's off in lala land. A quick reminder and she snaps out of it for a few seconds and continues with her worksheet. I feel like such a nag because this is an all day, everyday occurrence.

A simple thing might be to talk to the doctor about a trial of meds for ADHD.

Yes, I've considered this but dh quickly and very adamantly rejected this. If he homeschooled all day, he might change his tune though. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

:bigear:

Meds here made the most dramatic difference---like gaining 2 years of academic skills in 6 months, etc.

That's wonderful!!!!!

Would your husband consider nutritional things instead of meds? Things like high levels of EPA fish oils, caffeine, etc?

Yes! The first step we've taken is omitting sugar and caffeine completely. DD LOVES her food (if I didn't monitor, she'd be obese as she's in the 91% in weight, 30% for height) so it's been a slow process. I need to find a good book to help educate myself on the affects food/nutrition have on behavior. I'm pretty clueless in this dept. :blushing:

My ds8 has a similar story...in fact, he was tested when he was 6yo and showed a discrepancy in his IQ test as well. It is a huge struggle to keep him on task...brushing his teeth has taken up to 15 minutes because he gets distracted by looking at himself in the mirror...makes wierd, funny faces, etc.

He is a little more complicated though b/c he had really enlarged adenoids that were removed when he was 4...he had large language defecits due to this issue. So I am never really sure if he's this way b/c of that or not.

Either way, I have to do all different types of things for him to keep him on task. Kind of like, although different techniques, what Heather mentioned. You just have to test different things out to see what works for her.

Although meds can be helpful, I believe that they are just a band-aid. We have been experimenting with diet control and supplements....both are helping.

I am also going to start a homeopathic medicinal by VAXA once I have had them on the diet mods, vits, and cod liver for a couple months, http://www.vaxa.com/add-support.cfm The ingredient panel is awesome! I got an educational CD about the product and was very impressed. Then I found the ingredients to be ones recommended by DAN! doc's in treating kids in the spectrum.

Another thought...our eval was initially done through the public school and I don't think they did a fabulous job either. In fact, they mentioned that his IQ score was an "interesting" find but didn't explore it any further then that...?? :001_unsure: I am going to be getting my kids eval'ed privately. I think it will be more thorough and specific. You may want to consider the same thing if you have serious concerns about these issues impacting her success.

Hope this helps a tad! :)

Meds here made the most dramatic difference---like gaining 2 years of academic skills in 6 months, etc.

That's wonderful!!!!!

Would your husband consider nutritional things instead of meds? Things like high levels of EPA fish oils, caffeine, etc?

Yes! The first step we've taken is omitting sugar and caffeine completely. DD LOVES her food (if I didn't monitor, she'd be obese as she's in the 91% in weight, 30% for height) so it's been a slow process. I need to find a good book to help educate myself on the affects food/nutrition have on behavior. I'm pretty clueless in this dept. :blushing:

I love this book...http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Childhood-Epidemics-Groundbreaking/dp/0345494504

I have gotten alot of books from the library and this is by far my favorite. I am sure there are others so hopefully some others will chime in. This book is educational, an easy read, well-written with lots of interesting stories of patients Dr. Bock has treated and great info. on diet and supplements. I got a copy from the library but will be buying it!! You can also GOOGLE the topic and find lots of great info.

Actually for ADHD you GIVE the kids caffeine in the morning. It acts like a stimulant like the meds and helps them focus. You can use coffee or tea or Mountain Dew, etc. Just think of how many adults "can't focus" until they have had 1, 2, or even 3 cups of coffee in the morning.

Actually for ADHD you GIVE the kids caffeine in the morning. It acts like a stimulant like the meds and helps them focus. You can use coffee or tea or Mountain Dew, etc. Just think of how many adults "can't focus" until they have had 1, 2, or even 3 cups of coffee in the morning.

This is true...alot of adhd'ers are known for "self-medicating" with caffeinated beverages or alcohol. My sister is a great example...she can (and does) drink coffee all day long and not feel the typical caffeine affects....it does not hyper her up but does the opposite.

If you give this a try...don't use pop...try a small bit of an organic black tea. This healthy for an adult and would be for a child too.