Menu

Good abridged version of Les Miserables?

I'm having the hankering to read this book again. I read the unabridged in college and I just don't desire to wade through (literally or figuratively) the 100 page side-notes on the sewer system in Paris. However, I do want to keep the quality writing and the beauty of the story that I love! I'm not looking for a child's version-just one that cuts out all the "bonus" material. :)

Heh heh... my dd12 just day before yesterday insisted that I buy her an unabridged copy of Les Mis. Have no idea where she got the idea in her head, even. I've never read it - guess she'll have some sewers to wade through!

I did sit with her and look at the various translations. We ended up with a new translation - but after poring over the reviews at Amazon, I think I might swap it out for the Penguin Classics edition translated by Denny. Apparently it's all there, but some of Hugo's "digressions" have been put in appendices. I also find that translation quite readable. The Wilbour seems a bit overly stilted, and the Rose (the new one), while supposedly using more contemporary language, seems at times to want to be "hip" and then actually sometimes adds words to the Hugo. :001_huh:

I wanted to compare the translations to the original Hugo - but I can't find an original French copy online - not on Amazon US, Canada, or France! All the ones with "look inside" are seriously abridged - what the heck???

As a family, we listened to the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre version. Now our whole family knows the storyline and we're able to discuss themes of redemption, grace, forgiveness, etc. We really enjoy all the FOF audiobooks. Here's an Amazon link for Les Mis: http://www.amazon.com/Miserables-Focus-Family-Radio-Theatre/dp/1561799696.

I am reading the Signet classics only unabridged paperback version. I feel pretty happy with it so far. Even though Victor Hugo does have a tendency to digress, I do have to say that many of the digressions can be quite interesting and add flavor, interest, and background to the piece. If I knew more about Waterloo, I might have enjoyed that section more. I think reading the unabridged version gives me an appreciation for a more slower pace of literature and depth as opposed to constant action. The hardest part about it however is reading details about wars, the streets of Paris, French phrases, historical politics, and other topics I know so little about. I keep thinking that if I had a little more background knowledge, those sections would come alive.

I did sit with her and look at the various translations. We ended up with a new translation - but after poring over the reviews at Amazon, I think I might swap it out for the Penguin Classics edition translated by Denny.

For the unabridged version, we definitely preferred the Denny translation. The one we had before that was like slogging through mud (and that was before we even hit the sewers!)

Regards,

Kareni

• 1 year later...
Guest Simple Citizen

Les Miserables is possibly the most remarkable work of fiction I have ever read. I have read it multiple times, including the full text and many different abridgments. I admit that despite it being my favorite book, I do not enjoy reading the entire original text each time. I am not a French scholar, a war historian, nor do I have any particular fascination with the French Revolution or Napoleon.

But I love this story. The first time I read an abridged version, I was shocked to see that Fantine was almost an afterthought; she was barely mentioned in the book. There were many glaring differences that I thought destroyed many of the characters, and thus the true power of this book. I have also read longer abridgments which include all the necessary portions, but still find it necessary to include vast descriptions of the sewers of Paris, and the Battle of Waterloo.

I finally decided to abridge the book myself. I only omitted those parts I found to be completely superfluous, unrelated to the narrative, or distracting from the flow of the story.

The original text contains over 540,000 words. My abridgment contains less than half that at under 254,000.

Here is the link: http://lesmiserablesabridged.blogspot.com/2012/12/les-miserables-abridged-part-1-fantine.html

I finally decided to abridge the book myself. I only omitted those parts I found to be completely superfluous, unrelated to the narrative, or distracting from the flow of the story.

The original text contains over 540,000 words. My abridgment contains less than half that at under 254,000.

l

Wow! I am seriously impressed!

Ah, Les Mis! I saw the musical the summer before 10th grade and insisted on reading the unabridged version for a semester's book report that year. I read the first 700 pages in a couple months then had to read the remaining 700 pages in a week. I skipped Waterloo but trudged through the sewers. I was just telling my kids about that part this afternoon.

Loved it, but egads, that got long-winded. I can't wait to see the movie next week! Eponine was a lot more sympathetic in the musical than the book.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simple Citizen

Wow! I am seriously impressed!

Thanks - It was worth the time it took because now I can read it every year and enjoy the entire thing.

If someone else ever reads it - hope they enjoy it to, but I really did it for myself.

I am currently reading Les Mis for the first time right now! :001_smile: It is the unabridged version however, and it took me awhile to wade through the chapters on the battle of Waterloo. I guess I have a section on Paris sewers to look forward to however. . . :001_unsure:

I always read books straight through - always. There has never been a book that I had to take a break from until now. Les Mis is the one. I read through the CHAPTERS about Waterloo and had to take a break. I love it. I am enjoying it, but my brain is on the verge of bleeding. Then I got though the chapters about the difference between insurrection/uprising etc and had to stop again. I have to finish it - I promised myself I wouldn't see the movie til I've read it (even though I've seen the play numerous times) and it will only be in theaters so long.....I have to finish it!

• 2 months later...
Guest kimteravest1

Dear Simple Citizen,

I am also very excited to hear about your own abridged version. I too have read the full unabridged version, and absolutely loved the story, and was quite proud of myself for actually making it all the way through! I would like to read it again, but don't have the time or energy to tackle the full length version, and as you have mentioned, I'm afraid the abridged versions will leave too much out. I want to keep all of the story, just perhaps cut out the bits about French philosophers, etc. that I don't really understand anyway. So your personal abridged version sounds wonderful. Just one problem, because of where I am located, I cannot access any blogs, particularly those at blogspot.com. I wondered if you would be willing to email the file?? If so, I will pass along an email address.

Thank you!

Thanks - It was worth the time it took because now I can read it every year and enjoy the entire thing.

If someone else ever reads it - hope they enjoy it to, but I really did it for myself.

Guest ScarlettLetterz

I read the unabridged brick (the Signet Classics one) for the first time last summer. I, personally, would recommend the unabridged version. I just finished reading through it for the second time (yes, all of it) and along the way I took a pencil and sticky notes to mark everything main plot/necassary, interesting passages, and absolutely do not read chapters, etc. (I definitely am interested in taking a look at your abridged version though Simple Citizen)

Personally I don't see why anyone would only want to read parts of something (if you want to read the book, why wouldn't you read all of it?). From the little exerpts I've read, as well as talking with other people who have read abridged versions, I've become a little wary of anything "condensed". Victor Hugo's wording was a huge part of interpretting the characters and I was somewhat shocked to find that even the "action scenes"/main plot where paraphrased and unnecassarily re-worded.

For example there was one abridged version where I read Eponine's part (with Father Mabeuf and then telling Marius that she had found Cosette's house). I was trying to get a feel for what the rest of the book would be like, since I am most familiar with Eponine and her chapters of the book (she's always been my favorite character so I would often go back and reread those few chapters with her in them). It might seem nitpicky but I immediately realized that they had rephrased a lot of things both Eponine and Marius had said, thus, in my opinion, changing a lot of important subtext and what you got from the converstation. And they had even left out the part where Eponine waters the flowers for Father Mabeuf (a fairly important and interesting part since it gives us quite a bit of insight into both of those characters and why leave it out, it's only like three pages!?). Safe to say I didn't read anymore of that book and decided to not be lazy and stay away from abridged versions from then on. (I do understand that there are "good" abridged versions out there but still....)

I think you would probably get the main ideas/plot with an abridged version, but if you really want the depth and all those deeper meanings that Victor Hugo so richly provides us? If you really want to get everything you can out of that story? There is no subsitute for the actual book.

• 1 month later...
Guest shinatoo

Get a good translation of the book. Skip the irrelevant parts. Most are grouped in there own "books". Skim through them to make sure your aren't missing anything.