Menu

Feeling burnt out

I have a 7yodd, 4yodd, 3yodd and a 10 mo old ds. I feel like I'm spending so much time with the 7yo, doing schoolwork, that I'm missing out on spending time with the smaller children.

I've considered turning our school day upside down, spending the morning in training them to do their chores (our house is always so messy and we're grabbing our clean clothes out of laundry hampers because folding never gets done!) and then just playing with them and reading out loud to them all. Then, during Baby's naptime in the afternoon, do school with 7yo and the bit of preschool that 4yo is asking for. That still leaves 3yo watching TV downstairs by herself.

I'm just feeling stretched thin, and still not being able to cover everything. This isn't a complaining post, more of a "What Did/Would You Do?" post.

A further note, I knit when I have some free time in the evening. It's a time-intensive hobby, but I find it rather relaxing...you know, something that actually stays "done" when I'm done with it. I've contemplated doing away with hobbies and the like for the next while (a la Jessie Wise and her handmade wool rugs), but I worry that I'll go a little crazy without the hobbies.

I wanted to homeschool mostly because of the Classical Education model. I want that sort of education for my children and still do. It's just a lot of work and I'm worn out right now. I want this rigorous education for my children, but I don't want to miss out on spending time with them as their mother either.

I'm reading The Successful Family Handbook

and honestly it's sounds like it might be a good read for you. They have several pages about homeschooling with children all under seven and keeping family togetherness. The book is all about avoiding burn out! It may not be totally your thing, but I'll tell you there is a lot of wisdom in this book whether you take or leave the 'better late than early' part. Their kids are grown and they have talked with so many homeschoolers over the years (major understatement). Burnout is a real problem in the homeschool community and the results are not pretty sometimes.

Edited by JENinOR

I have a 7yodd, 4yodd, 3yodd and a 10 mo old ds. I feel like I'm spending so much time with the 7yo, doing schoolwork, that I'm missing out on spending time with the smaller children.

I've considered turning our school day upside down, spending the morning in training them to do their chores (our house is always so messy and we're grabbing our clean clothes out of laundry hampers because folding never gets done!) and then just playing with them and reading out loud to them all. Then, during Baby's naptime in the afternoon, do school with 7yo and the bit of preschool that 4yo is asking for. That still leaves 3yo watching TV downstairs by herself.

I'm just feeling stretched thin, and still not being able to cover everything. This isn't a complaining post, more of a "What Did/Would You Do?" post.

A further note, I knit when I have some free time in the evening. It's a time-intensive hobby, but I find it rather relaxing...you know, something that actually stays "done" when I'm done with it. I've contemplated doing away with hobbies and the like for the next while (a la Jessie Wise and her handmade wool rugs), but I worry that I'll go a little crazy without the hobbies.

I wanted to homeschool mostly because of the Classical Education model. I want that sort of education for my children and still do. It's just a lot of work and I'm worn out right now. I want this rigorous education for my children, but I don't want to miss out on spending time with them as their mother either.

When we started homeschooling, I had a 5 year old kindergartener, a 4 year old and a one year old. I did school subjects with both the 5 and 4 year old.

One thing that helped was to "assign" one of the kids to go and play with the youngest while I was doing short sessions with the other kid. We're talking 20-30 minutes here.

It seemed like the playmate assigned kid enjoyed the break and the playing and it kept the little one occupied.

All of my kids have had chores since they were around 3, even if it was just putting away silverware or folding towels. Now that they are big, I'm truly spoiled. I had to do all of my own housework while they were staying with grandparents and I was shocked at how much more there was to do.

You might also take a look at the ideas on Paula's Archives for working with toddlers and preschoolers underfoot. My personal preference was to keep tv for afterschool entertainment time and minimize it during the day. IMHO, it is better to have the 3yo asking to play with the math manipulatives than to have a kindergartener that you are trying to break of a daytime tv habit. YMMV.

I totally understand your feelings!!!:001_smile:

I think you just need to stop & enjoy your kiddos!

Rigorous schooling is important....but, you'll never get those days back with your kids. I plan a tight, rigorous education for my kiddos...but, have found I must be flexible!!!

If it's a beautiful day ....I may occasionally put the schooling aside & go picnic at the park.

I really think to survive & thrive.....:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

You need to have a balance! You must not forget to take of your needs too!

You also will not get this time back. You will never regret taking time out occasionally...(even if you get off your schedule...) to enjoy just being a MOMMY!!!!

Remember you need a good balance. Your house, school, your husband, kiddos, ......are all needing your attention.....

But, you are really not any good to them if you do not take care of yourself.

Now....:001_smile:

Take care of yourself......your school work will always get done!

I'm reading The Successful Family Handbook

and honestly it's sounds like it might be a good read for you. They have several pages about homeschooling with children all under seven and keeping family togetherness. The book is all about avoiding burn out! It may not be totally your thing, but I'll tell you there is a lot of wisdom in this book whether you take or leave the 'better late than early' part. Their kids are grown and they have talked with so many homeschoolers over the years (major understatement). Burnout is a real problem in the homeschool community and the results are not pretty sometimes.

:iagree: