Menu

Christian content: Please help me answer this question Dd asked this morning.

Guest momk2000

I see what you are saying but your definition of "interpretation" isn't my own. I mean explaining the meaning of something in my own words - telling others what God thinks. I did not do that. I used God's words and let His words express His meaning on their own. That is what I meant when I said that I was not doing the interpreting. Of course I believe what Scripture says so when it says these things:

I think it proves that Satan is the enemy of God and will be crushed. I don't know how any other view can be drawn from them.

You are the second person to suggest that I stated in some way that "God hates Satan." I did not say that. I don't know if He does or does not. I am not prepared to go beyond what Scripture clearly states. It clearly states these things:

Proverbs 6:16-19

There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

What God says is what He says. It doesn't really matter what I think.

But just the fact that you posted those verses IS your interpretation. I know you don't see it that way, I get that, but it doesn't change the fact that even when you post a 'scriptural' response, those scriptures you list come from your interpretation of the answer. So you can say it's just scripture-but it's not. It still shows your bias and personal interpretation.

And, you were right, you didn't say hate-the poster above you did in the article. Mea Culpa.

"When God condemns people to hell, I think it is safe to say that his love is entirely withdrawn from them. He no longer harbors any love for them, and feels intense hatred for them, leading him to condemn and punish them."

Those ideas work really well who try to make fear their main tool of winning people to Christ. Only it's not such a great tool. And it's not so true.

Edited by justamouse

Not really sure what that means.

Susan

Mr. Slick, the author, is turning those scriptures to prove his point that God hates.

Lucifer can turn scripture to mean what he wants, too.

This is exactly why I don't believe in sola scriptura anymore. You really need to look at the books in context, in the history with the times and customs and know the bias' of the people that wrote them.

He isn't referencing isolated scripture though. He is quoting multiple scripture on a specific topic, which is relevant to this thread. He is reading scripture & interpreting it in the same manner as you or anyone else would - regardless if his conclusions vary from others, it is still relevant. That doesn't make the author of the piece "wrong" or "bad" or comparable to Satan. It contributes to this thread, just as another link with an opposing position would contribute as well. It's all good. It all stimulates thought.

That is good, no?

Susan

Edited by susankenny
many typos in need of correction

He isn't referencing isolate scripture though. He is quoting multiple scripture on a specific topic, which is relevant to this thread. He is reading scripture & interpreting it in the same manner as you or anyone else would - regardless if his conclusions vary form others, it is still relevant. That doesn't make the author of the piece "wrong" or "bad" or comparable to Satan. It contributes to this thread, just as another link with an opposing position would contribute as well. It's all good. It all stimulates thought.

That is good, no?

Susan

Yup, it's one interpretation, that's true.

Yes. It's just an opinion, that's all. It doesn't make him "right" or an authority on the topic...just food for thought.

Susan

I had to ask myself why these threads bother me so much. Why these, "Of course God hates-" just get stuck in my head

It's because you're defaming someone I love.

Honestly, I don't think you need to have an answer for her. Tell her it's a great question & that you aren't sure. Research the topic together & see where it leads you and what conclusions you draw together.

Susan

:iagree: I don't typically answer questions like this right off the bat. I prefer to turn the question around and ask, "What do you think?" It may surprise you what is going on in that little head. If you are too quick to answer the question, you may you may inadvertently extinguish a great idea or insight that the child may have. Or you may miss the opportunity to uncover the "real" question, as these types of questions are often a lead-in to the more important question that is really bugging them. I mean, what if your dc has done something wrong and is thinking that he is somehow like the devil? Whether you say that God hates the devil or just hates what he does, you may unknowingly be confirming just how bad he thinks he is.

Well, think about this...

Is hate a sin?

If it is a sin, then how could God hate? If He hates, then God sins.

Yet, the definition of sin is "going outside God's will".

So if God sins, then He is going outside His own will.

Yet, this is an impossibility, since His will is defined by Him alone.

It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Sometimes what is a sin for us is not a sin for God. God is not like us. And we can't necessarily equate our holiness with His.

For example, God can be and is and has declared in Scripture His jealous-ness. Yet it would be a sin for people to be jealous.

God is holy and deserves all honor and glory and it is right and holy for him to be jealous when honor and glory goes to another.

I am NOT holy. I do NOT deserve honor and glory. So when I'm jealous about something I wish I had but don't I am sinning.