Menu

If you live in a state without testing, do/would you?

elise1mds

I agree with you. I'll probably have DC do some type of testing when they are MUCH older - just to get them used to testing. I think testing is a skill, its important later on, but not for elementary kiddos.

And if I tested NO WAY would I tell members of my extended family - that would be a can of worms, since some of them tend to pick out the negatives and I don't want to deal with it. It's not their business.

I would not test on my MIL's urging, because I would not want to give her the impression that she had any say or that her opinion mattered. If I did test, I would not tell her about it.

:iagree:

Testing is required here so we do it annually. It is a huge waste of time and money. The results are never a surprise to me, and although my children consistently have very high scores, I would never share them with my in-laws. I don't think it would occur to them to ask!

If you have a good relationship and she is generally supportive of homeschooling, then I would ask her why she is so interested, what is she worried about, does she have concerns that a test would address? Maybe she would be happy to see some math tests or writing samples... is she just wanting to be involved somehow?

If she is not generally supportive of homeschooling, I would have dh start running interference and if she continues to bug you about it, just be blunt: "thanks for your feedback, I'll make a note of your interest and get back to you if I have any further questions for you. In the meantime you can consider the subject closed."

Alternatively, if you DO test without being mandated to do so, why? Honestly, I am curious

I live in a state that doesn't mandate testing. I once thought testing was The Great Evil of the Academic World. ;) Then, when my kids were in 6th and 3rd grade, I used Seaton's home testing. After that, I wondered what in the world I thought was so horrid about doing a test once a year.

it was a great boost to me to see the places where they were totally outstanding. It was also worth being mindful of weaker areas. Really, what's so bad about that? I now plan to test every year from 3rd grade on, just for my own knowledge of how they're coming along.

It was a great boost to me to see the places where they were totally outstanding. It was also worth being mindful of weaker areas. Really, what's so bad about that?

It is only bad if it is mandated, you have to pay for it, and it doesn't provide you with anything you don't already know.

I test every year starting in 3rd grade. I do testing with a group and the kids actually think it's fun. For me, it's more about learning to be comfortable in a test setting than anything else.

My middle dd had a LOT of test anxiety. Actually the part that freaks her out is filling out all the identifying information on the test. She's always terrified that she's going to do it incorrectly. She also has fine motor delays, so it took her all the way until 7th grade to actually be able to bubble in those little circles properly.

I do look at what the low areas are on the test to see if there's something that we've completely missed. That does sometimes cause me to change or supplement a program we're using.

My poor youngest has had extensive testing, but she's dyslexic. She's done the WISC-IV and WJ-III twice so far and will be repeating them again this year (three years since last time). This is for a paper trail to show to the college board in case we end up applying for accommodations.

It is only bad if it is mandated, you have to pay for it, and it doesn't provide you with anything you don't already know.

Sure - I'm not a big fan of mandated testing. I do have to pay for it, but that's not a big deterrent; I have to pay for all our other homeschooling materials. As far as not providing you with anything you don't already know: sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

First, I'd tell your MIL to mind her own business.

Second, I'm the one teaching my kids, not somebody else. I know where they stand. They are where they're supposed to be. If I wanted to compare my kids to ps'ed kids, then I'd put them there. Kids are not one-size-fits all.

Good for you!

:iagree: My kids have never taken a standardized test. Our state does not require testing for homeschoolers. There is a sample test (Iowa?) on my state's educational website that I'm tempted to give to my third grader, but I can already predict the result because I know her skill level. I work with her one-on-one. Classroom teachers don't have that luxury. :)

Under the option we homeschool under in SC, we do not have to test. We don't test. I think the first big test they will take will be the SATs, if they still matter by then.

For the record, one is nine (4th grade) and the other is seven (second grade).

I also agree it is up to you whether your children should be tested, not the MIL. :001_smile:

Alternatively, if you DO test without being mandated to do so, why? Honestly, I am curious. :bigear:

I am not mandated to test in the state that I live in. I choose to test. I have two reasons:

1. I do not want the SATs to be the only time that my children ever see a timed test.

2. They need to learn how to work under pressure. When they go out to work in the real world, they will have pressure and timed assignments. It is one of the tools that I use to help with that.

I am a part of a support group that offers the IOWA basic skills test in a group setting. I like this approach because I realize that SATs will be in a group setting also. I just do not think that I want that to be the first time that they are in a testing situation. I do not use the standardized test for anything more than to train them in how be in a testing environment.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony