Menu

I'm looking to develop a prayer team for the sale of our house - anyone interested?

I've written a letter to friends and family and thought I'd extend the invitation to my cyberfriends as well to join me in *daily* prayer over the sale of our old house. As you know, on 6/2/06 we embarked on a journey that only the Lord fully appreciated at the time. At 4am that morning of the day we had to make a decision whether or not to put an offer on our new house, the Lord woke me up, sent me to the Concordance of my Bible, and took me to Psalms 107. He said, "He calmed the storm with a whisper, the waves of the sea were hushed, they were glad when it grew calm and He drew them to their desired haven." It is upon that promise that I have stood for more than a year and a half as we have weathered the storm that only God knew was coming. We have labored intensively turning the new house in that "haven" of rest and prepping the old house for the market.

God has been faithful to guide us, and direct us, counsel us, and watch over us and for that I am most thankful. After Christmas we decided to switch gears from work on the new house to getting the old house ready for the market. Since the summer of 2006, my prayer has been, "Lord, send the right buyer at the right time for the right price." We never imagined we would be carrying both homes for this length of time (but, again, God knew...) and truly need to see this house sold! More recently, I have added an adjunct to my prayer request - in a season where the real estate market is slowed, I have prayed (for more than 6 months now), "Father, may your glory be revealed in the sale of this house." Specifically, I am looking for the Lord to sell this house so expediently that there will be no denying that God, the Creator of the ends of this earth,, is in control! Well, when you couple my initial prayer request (right buyer, etc) with the more recent one (quick enough sell to reveal God's power) - the fact is this house needs to go on the market when the intended buyers are positioned to make the purchase. Plain and simple.

Dh and I feel that it is at least possible that the house will be ready to show by the end of May at the latest. Would any of you consider standing in the gap with us on this in prayer? We need physical, mental, and emotional strength to press on because we're exhausted. We need wisdom to make good decisions regarding what needs to be done to the house and what doesn't. We need the Lord's help to keep our eyes on Him with regards to the financial aspect of all this, trusting Him to cover all the bases. We need the Lord to position the buyers so that they'll be ready when the time is right. In short, we need this house to sell in God's timing that will be perfect for us and the buyers.

Thank you for caring enough to consider this request. It is my desire that all who choose to be a part of this endeavor be blessed by the joy that comes from the opportunity to participate in a prayer event that I believe will reflect God's power and grace. I look forward to hearing from all that decide they'd like to walk this out with us!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, we Catholics will tell you to simply bury a small statue of St. Joseph upside-down in the front yard. He does not like being upside-down, and will ensure your house sells fast. In return, after the closing, you do have to dig him up and clean him off and place him on a shelf in your new home. I am not kidding!

Now, we Catholics will tell you to simply bury a small statue of St. Joseph upside-down in the front yard. He does not like being upside-down, and will ensure your house sells fast. In return, after the closing, you do have to dig him up and clean him off and place him on a shelf in your new home. I am not kidding!

I have heard of this practice but never new *why* - "he doesn't like being upside down....". Thanks for sharing this aspect of your faith with me! :)

I will pray for you. We both have been on a long house road. My house is rented in Florida. In one month we have had to spend $1800 on various repairs. Our tenants say they are trying to get approved to buy it. I have been praying they can get to that point every single day. I will gladly add a prayer that your right buyer will come to you as well.

Kari, let's just consider this a joint prayer request, then. As I have yours, you have mine! May the Lord's Kingdom purposes be established in this area of each of our lives....

I will pray for you. We both have been on a long house road. My house is rented in Florida. In one month we have had to spend $1800 on various repairs. Our tenants say they are trying to get approved to buy it. I have been praying they can get to that point every single day. I will gladly add a prayer that your right buyer will come to you as well.

As well as ours!! Our value dropped 15,000. The house values went up so fast so quickly in our old neighborhood. They say it is leveling out, and our "village" is going through it's foreclosure cycle :glare:. The 5 yr ARM's are coming do for a lot people. Oh well, we got a new realtor, so we are hoping he can work some miracle!

In the meantime we are trying to fix up our new house, arghh!!

As well as ours!! Our value dropped 15,000. The house values went up so fast so quickly in our old neighborhood. They say it is leveling out, and our "village" is going through it's foreclosure cycle :glare:. The 5 yr ARM's are coming do for a lot people. Oh well, we got a new realtor, so we are hoping he can work some miracle!

In the meantime we are trying to fix up our new house, arghh!!

Heather, I feel much of your pain. ;-} OK, so this prayer request is currently running for Sharon in SC, Kari in SC, and Tarheel Heather.....I am so very thankful that I know of One Who *is* in the miracle working business!!:hurray:

I gotta tell ya...St. Joe didn't work for us. It took me two yrs. to sell my house. Maybe it's because I'm Baptist and he was waiting for me to convert. :D

Meant to tell you I'll be praying for you. I know how stressful it is. After dh and I married, we had three house payments!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update on our prayer request and an opportunity for Tarheel Heather, Kari in SC, and any others with a house to sell to do that same.....

Thank you to all who are praying with us over the sale of the old house. Just a quick update to say that we're still on schedule to start showing it by the end of May. There's still much to be done but I feel it remains a reasonable goal. We will be meeting with a real estate agent the start of next week to begin the process of pricing it which is one of the more crucial aspects of a good sale. Please agree with us that we have the wisdom of the Lord in that.

Many thanks as we wait with anticipation and expectation at what the Lord is going to do on each of our behalfs in the sale of our homes as we look for His glory to be revealed in the process of it all!

We've been in a very similar situation, and I understand completely!

I'll make my post short by encouraging you that your house will sell! And, I will definitely pray for that sale! We carried two mortgages for a while due to a situation that happened about 4 years ago. It was very unpleasant!

Yes, consider me part of your prayer team! :)

...Psalms 107. He said, "He calmed the storm with a whisper, the waves of the sea were hushed, they were glad when it grew calm and He drew them to their desired haven." It is upon that promise that I have stood for more than a year and a half as we have weathered the storm that only God knew was coming. We have labored intensively turning the new house in that "haven" of rest and prepping the old house for the market.

You've been in my prayers along the way, Sharon,

Would any of you consider standing in the gap with us on this in prayer?

and I would be honored to kick it up a notch on this end.

But I'm going to add you to my prayer list now.

I have experienced the Lord's faithfullness in this area, and I have working faith for it.

When the Lord spoke to us to move back home (12 hours away) a few years ago, we were very concerned about the sale of our home. We lived in an ecconomically depressed area with no jobs. People were fleeing to go to larger cities.

But, we knew we were being obedient. Our home sold in less than 90 days, and I believe it was nothing short of a miracle.

You don't need a whole market to sell a house. You need one, just one, only one, buyer. Call it a divine appointment, if you will.

God Bless,

~Lisa

You don't need a whole market to sell a house. You need one, just one, only one, buyer. Call it a divine appointment, if you will.

God Bless,

~Lisa

I will and I do (call it a divine appointment) and one on which I am counting. Thank you, Lisa, for sharing your testimony. It *is* an encouragement to me.

HI Sharon!

I got your post and the link to this thread...I will definitely keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers as you get ready to put your house on the market.

I do believe God has everything in hand, sometimes its just hard for me to be patient ;)

God bless you through this process!

Diane

• 3 weeks later...
Just a bit of an update on our prayer request and an opportunity for Tarheel Heather, Kari in SC, and any others with a house to sell to do that same.....

Thank you to all who are praying with us over the sale of the old house. Just a quick update to say that we're still on schedule to start showing it by the end of May.

Many thanks as we wait with anticipation and expectation at what the Lord is going to do for each of us in the sale of our homes as we look for His glory to be revealed in the process of it all!

OK, everyone - it's showtime! (Literally!). :-D The sign went in the yard yesterday (link: http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?sby=2&sdir=1&zp=29212&ml=3&mnp=23&mxp=22&bd=4&bth=5&typ=1&sid=7d95257111b44e35aa900b7cdca4d04d&lid=1099987725&lsn=4&srcnt=16#Photo). I simply can't wait to see what the Lord is going to do on my behalf and on behalf of all others who have a home on the market just now. Thanks again for your prayer support. I'll keep you posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all. I am taking this moment to give you an update on the prayer request over the selling of the old house. Long story short - it has been shown a grand total of 2 times in two weeks of being on the market. :-) HOWEVER, we are not discouraged. Our real estate agent indicates this is par for the course for the market just now. One house closed last week that had not been shown for weeks, then had one showing followed by a contract and two more waiting in the wings. More than that, though, I want to share what I've experienced in my prayer time over this house....

For two years now, while we've been working at the new house, I've petitioned the Lord over the sale of this home. What I've experienced since the sign went in the yard two weeks ago, though, is this - I no sooner begin to make the request and I sense so fully the Lord saying, "You don't need to ask any longer. The work is done. I want you to begin to thank Me and praise Me for it." So, I've begun to thank Him and praise Him rather than *ask* Him for His glory to be revealed!

:-)

Is it too late to join the prayer team and to add our house to the list? We have been in Texas almost 13 months, and we really need to sell our house in Arkansas.

Thanks everyone.

Absolutely not (too late)! Let's see if we can generate a current roster. It is my understanding that we have these board members with a house on the market:

Sharon in SC

Debbie in TX (home for sale in Arkansas)

Kari in SC (home for sale in Fla)

Tarheel Heather

Diane in CO

Brigitte

Battlemaiden (facing renting her home immediately except for a timely sale!)

Have I missed anyone?

Ladies, be sure to update us as you are able. Meanwhile, we stand in the gap for one another trusting and believing for God's Kingdom purposes to be established in each real estate need!

Hi, all. I am taking this moment to give you an update on the prayer request over the selling of the old house. Long story short - it has been shown a grand total of 2 times in two weeks of being on the market. :-) HOWEVER, we are not discouraged. Our real estate agent indicates this is par for the course for the market just now. One house closed last week that had not been shown for weeks, then had one showing followed by a contract and two more waiting in the wings. More than that, though, I want to share what I've experienced in my prayer time over this house....

For two years now, while we've been working at the new house, I've petitioned the Lord over the sale of this home. What I've experienced since the sign went in the yard two weeks ago, though, is this - I no sooner begin to make the request and I sense so fully the Lord saying, "You don't need to ask any longer. The work is done. I want you to begin to thank Me and praise Me for it." So, I've begun to thank Him and praise Him rather than *ask* Him for His glory to be revealed!

:-)

Thank you Sharon, I needed to hear that as well!

Absolutely not (too late)! Let's see if we can generate a current roster. It is my understanding that we have these board members with a house on the market:

Sharon in SC

Debbie in TX (home for sale in Arkansas)

Kari in SC (home for sale in Fla)

Tarheel Heather

Diane in CO

Have I missed anyone?

Ladies, be sure to update us as you are able. Meanwhile, we stand in the gap for one another trusting and believing for God's Kingdom purposes to be established in each real estate need!

Add me! We have a townhouse that we are trying to sell. We got an offer this weekend, but it was insultingly low and that is not where this market is. We close on the place we are buying on Friday (well we assume we are closing on Friday, nothing is ever really certain).

I know that when your house does sel, it will be according to His timing. I am especially sure of this since the sale of your house is really out of your control.

And that's the great thing about it. We can fix all the minor problems and make our houses look as pretty as possible, and even then, it is out of hands.Pretty neat, if you think about it.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

In the meantime, I will be praying for the sale of your home. Please update us periodically.

Thank you,

Claire in NM

Weekly update on the sale of the house - it's only been shown 3 times thus far but "no worries, Mate"! :-P (See last update regarding impressions during prayer time). One piece of encouraging news we received this week is that one of the clients who has seen the house, while she is not ready to commit to a house just yet, ranked our home a 9 out of a scale of 0-10 where none of the other 6 homes she saw rated better than a 7. I'll take encouragement anywhere I can get it for now. :-) Just wanted to share.....

Sharon,

Glad to hear that you are getting positive responses on the house. Don't worry too much about the lack of showings....all it takes is God's Will and 1 family ;)

You are in my prayers (as well as the other ladies you mentioned in your post), please keep us posted as to when your showings take place so that I can say an extra prayer on that day.

I am having another showing tomorrow between 10:45am-12:45pm...it will be our 16th showing so far.....lots of traffic on this end, but no bites. Our neighbor who has the roosters (as part of 4H and they will be gone in 2 months, but not soon enough!) has been putting the roosters in the coop during our showings. Please continue to keep us in your prayers as DH starts grad school in another state on 8/15 and we would really like to be with him when he goes!

God Bless!

Diane

Weekly update on the sale of the house - it's only been shown 3 times thus far but "no worries, Mate"! :-P (See last update regarding impressions during prayer time). One piece of encouraging news we received this week is that one of the clients who has seen the house, while she is not ready to commit to a house just yet, ranked our home a 9 out of a scale of 0-10 where none of the other 6 homes she saw rated better than a 7. I'll take encouragement anywhere I can get it for now. :-) Just wanted to share.....

I love and appreciate your updates, Sharon. Thanks! Keep leaning on His guidance, and you guys are going to come out fine. {{hugs}} and prayers,

Dy

....all it takes is God's Will and 1 family

This is so true. Let's trust and believe that your "one family" presents themselves in plenty of time for your family to relocate *together*!! I'll pray over your showing tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Blessings, Sharon

Update:

Well we had two showing this evening and one scheduled for tomorrow...please keep us in your prayers that one of these prospective buyers loves the house ;) They ate the cookies I left out....does that count for anything :D I think it would be really interesting to do a study on this....I definitely find that those who are most interested eat the cookies (we get good feedback on these) and those that don't like it at all never eat the cookies.

So, lots of showings on this end (I love my agent...she is wonderful), but no bites so far! We are about 1 1/2 months out before DH leaves for NM....this is our target date for sale....let's see if it actually happens:glare:

Diane

We have tenants in our Florida house. They are trying to buy it. They have a few credit issues, but have applied for an FHA loan. We are supposed to hear if they are approved on Friday. We would appreciate prayers that their loan is approved for what they need and then we can move forward with a contract. Thanks!

Update:

Well we had two showing this evening and one scheduled for tomorrow...please keep us in your prayers that one of these prospective buyers loves the house ;) They ate the cookies I left out....does that count for anything :D I think it would be really interesting to do a study on this....I definitely find that those who are most interested eat the cookies (we get good feedback on these) and those that don't like it at all never eat the cookies.

So, lots of showings on this end (I love my agent...she is wonderful), but no bites so far! We are about 1 1/2 months out before DH leaves for NM....this is our target date for sale....let's see if it actually happens:glare:

Diane

Praying here! Eating the cookies means they spent a bit of time looking around. It can be a very good sign.

We have tenants in our Florida house. They are trying to buy it. They have a few credit issues, but have applied for an FHA loan. We are supposed to hear if they are approved on Friday. We would appreciate prayers that their loan is approved for what they need and then we can move forward with a contract. Thanks!

Praying for you that it all goes smoothly! Please keep us posted :001_smile:

Diane

Well, my tenants didn't get approved. The loan guy was sort of baffled when the finance company came back saying they had several new collections on their credit report. He said he had one other company to hear from, but he didn't think it sounded good. I am just so down. I still have to tell my dh and I really don't want to. He has been sick all week and I really don't think he wants/needs to hear this on top of that. Ugh! I feel like we have been on this house market thing forever and I just so want it to be done. I keep trying to trust that there is a good reason for all of this and I will find out someday. I just wish it were sooner rather than later. Anyway, thanks for being here to listen.

I just wish it were sooner rather than later.

I truly do feel. your. pain. We've carried two homes, now (most unexpectedly), for 22 months and counting. Though the last home has only been on the market for less than one month, I am so ready for it to go "bye bye". :ack2:

I meant to ask - is your house still on the market or have y'all just been expecting the renters would be able to one day make purchase?

In any case, let us continue to hold unswervingly to the hope we profess for God who promises is faithful! I have a Thomas Kinkade coffee mug that I'm using daily because it has on it this verse: "I wait on the Lord, in His word do I hope."

standing in the gap with you,

sHaron

I know where you are coming from too. We had one offer on our place for 76% of asking. Um, no, we are not that desperate! The young woman looked at it 4 times. It turns out she offered what she had been preapproved for. Poor thing, she is never going to find anything that cheap in this area.

The one good thing about our place not selling yet (if there can truly be anything good about it) is that dh can live there while he teaches at the local univ. without having to find a place to stay.

I just got a call from my agent that we received an offer for our house... we are pretty excited. He offered us 180,000 (we paid $185,000 for this house 7 years ago...but unfortunately it was a boom market here then and the previous owners made out like bandits....they bought the house for 127,000 and sold it three years later to us for 185,000:confused:)

We have countered with an offer of 185,000 and they have till tomorrow at 6:00pm to accept/reject/counter. This offer would leave us free and clear (not owing anything and would give us about $3,000 for moving costs....about right now that sounds like heaven)

He wants to close and take possession of the house on July 22, 2008. We have had approx 20 showings on this house (I lost count) and this is the first offer we have had.

Thank you for all of your prayers thus far! Please continue to keep us in your prayers as we go through this process!

Diane

Oh, Diane, I'm grinning from ear to ear for you!!! (Pic me doing "The Dance" from Evan Almighty!) :party:

For now, I live vicariously through you! :D Do keep us posted as things progress along. I am confident that God's Kingdom purposes *are* being established.

I just got a call from my agent that we received an offer for our house... we are pretty excited. He offered us 180,000 (we paid $185,000 for this house 7 years ago...but unfortunately it was a boom market here then and the previous owners made out like bandits....they bought the house for 127,000 and sold it three years later to us for 185,000:confused:)

We have countered with an offer of 185,000 and they have till tomorrow at 6:00pm to accept/reject/counter. This offer would leave us free and clear (not owing anything and would give us about $3,000 for moving costs....about right now that sounds like heaven)

He wants to close and take possession of the house on July 22, 2008. We have had approx 20 showings on this house (I lost count) and this is the first offer we have had.

Thank you for all of your prayers thus far! Please continue to keep us in your prayers as we go through this process!

Diane

Our house is not still on the market. We took it off when we signed a lease with the renters. They told us from the start that they wanted to buy it, but had to work on a few things. Turns out they still have work on a few things. I am not sure they will get them cleared up before their lease ends. They have till the end of January 2009. Then I think we will put it back on the market unless the market gets worse. I don't even want to think about that tonight.

Diane

:thumbup::party::hurray: WOOHOO! I am so happy for you. You are giving the rest of us hope!